German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
My father loves to tease Sutter Cain when we're leaving and he has his head out of the window. He's just playing, but sometimes my boy barks quite viciously at people passing by now and I wonder if it's related. Thankfully he stops when I ask him to (my dog, not my dad. I've asked dad to stop but I may as well ask a goldfish to fly for all the good it does)

For reasons I don't feel the need to explain, my father can not be avoided. Him teasing my boy can only be minimized, not avoided. So it is with my original topic, exposure to children, well behaved or not, can only be minimized, not avoided. The harness is a good idea and I may have to look for something similar.
Maybe an e-collar for your Dad, hahaha. Dad's are like Husbands, impossible to train!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don’t think wolfy was referring to a photo of your son and Bear, but to some random Internet pics of babies or kids next to some dogs. Some of them make me uncomfortable too sometimes. Way too close.. way too little. Hopefully the owners know better. That said, Lexie just had a slumber party with my daughter and her 3 friends, I wish I had some pics but at this age they don’t like being photographed! Teenagers!!

·
Registered
11,312 Posts
I don’t think wolfy was referring to a photo of your son and Bear, but to some random Internet pics of babies or kids next to some dogs. Some of them make me uncomfortable too sometimes. Way too close.. way too little. Hopefully the owners know better.
Thank you, that was just how I meant it.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Way too close....way too little? Yah, maybe some Instagram/fb/TikTok staged photos but I'm more than fine with random family snaps of kids and their dogs. It's the best part of being a kid. Or certainly up there.

If I couldn't trust my dogs and kids together, I wouldn't have dogs....or kids....I forget which one it is ;)

Children have to be taught supervised pet boundaries just like dogs do. And the earlier they learn the ground rules the better. My kids, and even my new granddaughter have always been very comfortable around large dogs and vice versa. They have both had to learn "gentle" and age appropriate actions. I trust them both completely, the dogs more completely than the kids though.:sneaky:

Strange kids (aren't they all) don't get near my dogs without asking and being supervised and for short duration. Other than that kids and dogs go together like eggs and bacon...yummmm

This little girl is a future IGP champion!.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am talking about some Internet photos. I have no backstory about a newborn laying next to a Rotti or a Great Dane... one move of a giant paw and the baby can get hurt.
I came home after having my youngest to a Great Dane and 4 Shar Pei and there were zero problems. It doesn’t mean that I left her unsupervised. All of my dogs were very gentle and motherly and patient! In fact I have a series of pics called how a toddler can use a Great Dane.

Bear - 7.5 mo old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
213 Posts
Way too close....way too little? Yah, maybe some Instagram/fb/TikTok staged photos but I'm more than fine with random family snaps of kids and their dogs. It's the best part of being a kid. Or certainly up there.

If I couldn't trust my dogs and kids together, I wouldn't have dogs....or kids....I forget which one it is ;)

Children have to be taught supervised pet boundaries just like dogs do. And the earlier they learn the ground rules the better. My kids, and even my new granddaughter have always been very comfortable around large dogs and vice versa. They have both had to learn "gentle" and age appropriate actions. I trust them both completely, the dogs more completely than the kids though.:sneaky:

Strange kids (aren't they all) don't get near my dogs without asking and being supervised and for short duration. Other than that kids and dogs go together like eggs and bacon...yummmm

This little girl is a future IGP champion!.
View attachment 574874
I wish there was a love button! 🥰 👏

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've always taught my kids to be respectful of animals and not pester them or manhandle them. My girls would have been polite - not touching your dog unless he came up to them, and then stroking him gently. If the parents were there and not dealing with their kid's behavior, that is their mistake - especially with an older kid, old enough to understand when told "don't bother the dog".

There are many kids who haven't been taught to respect animals. As an example, my daughters were never once bitten by our guinea pigs. But two friends who came over to play, got bitten when they were trying to grab a frightened guinea pig. I had to send them home with bandaids and bloody Tshirts! I blamed myself for not watching them constantly when they were with the guinea pigs.

But think how much worse a defensive retaliation like that could be, with a German Shepherd!
You've got to stay alert and pro-active with kid visitors...
put your dog away if the kids can't manage to control themselves...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts