German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Sutter Cain (dog), Jori (cat), Skeeter (cat)
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is probably a silly concern, but I'm the typical overly-paranoid-about-EVERYTHING puppy parent.

So, today I discovered that my 1 year old does NOT like children. He wasn't aggressive in the slightest, which I was very proud of him for, but, in the way that kids do, the little brat kept ignoring commands of "Leave the dog along." "Quit chasing him." "Sit still and quit pestering the dog." So the brat had to be repeatedly told to stop (not even by me).

We were in a fenced in yard, so he was loose, not on a leash. Even when the little brat managed to grab him around the neck, my boy never once growled or showed teeth, he just pulled away and gave off body language that said "I do not want you touching me" or he would try to hide behind me (and I tried to sheild him, tell him he was a good boy, and gave him scritches to calm him down).

He's very polite around most adults as long as he's allowed to come to you on HIS terms. I do not consider this to be a fault. Also I HATE kids. I find them annoying and repulsive, so it's not like he's going to be going to children's hospitals or anything. But at the same time, dogs attract kids like a pile of poop attracts flies, so they're impossible to avoid completely.

Should I be concerned and teach him to just accept the attention of misbehaving little runts? Should I take his lack of aggression as a good sign and figure he should be ok for the once in a blue moon encounter as long as I can get him away fast enough?

He loves to play with any and every dog he meets, but he's not super keen on people despite being decently socialized when he was a young pup. (At least to the best of my ability with the 'rona crap going on) but he's not really fearful or angry, just sort of disinterested most of the time. But he's also still young, so I worry that he may change as he gets older.

I'm sorry for the silliness of the question, it's just something that's new to me. My past pups all adored children for some reason so it's never come up before.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kids who don’t listen are so frustrating. If it were me, I’d leash the dog and keep him near me so that I could run interference with the annoying kids. It’s not fair to the dog, but that’s probably the safest thing for everyone.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
"in the way that kids do, the little brat kept ignoring commands of "Leave the dog along." "Quit chasing him." "Sit still and quit pestering the dog." So the brat had to be repeatedly told to stop (not even by me)"

Every adult there (mostly you as the dog owner) blew it.

You don't say how old the brat is but if you (adults) let him be in a position to pester the dog and potentially GET BITTEN, that's on you.
Protect your dog.
Don't let the kid get bitten.

No kid outside my family, touches my dog without oversight.

-Just shooting you some truth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea how old he is. Could be 5, could be 10, mouthy little thing that gets very touchy every time he sees me so I mostly just stay away.

That said, would the little bit of truth your shooting me be something along the lines of he's fine just get him away fast enough?

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
One year old children have very little self control, that's what parents are for. It that situation I would remove my dog immediately.What a disaster if the child got hurt.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wouldn’t let my child be bullied. Same goes for my dog, unfortunately sometimes that means you just have to remove the dog because humans have more rights.

Example: I took my boy to a picnic and was surprised by tons of kids on a field trip. Most listened and left us alone but one was very pushy. I let them play a little but the kid wasn’t listening when I said to throw the toy rather than hold the toy for a bite. I chose to put my dog away rather than let him be in a potentially bad situation with a child.

Early experiences with kids can influence the dog’s adult behavior. Your response and demeanor around the kids will also influence.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eventually the kid WAS banished to the inside of the house because his grandmother (the person I was there to talk to) got tired of chastising him, so the problem was resolved. I don't go there often and take my pup there even less. This was a special occasion.

But, it's impossible to avoid children entirely without never letting him out of the house. Which is why I was asking if I should give him some kind of special training, but mostly what I'm getting is just take him away before there's any issues, so thank you all for your responses.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have let my boy play with kids. If you talk to the kids, you can find respectful ones and give your dog good experiences with kids.
Maybe it sounds complicated. But I wouldn’t want to rush my dog away every time a kid shows up. They are smart dogs. They might piece together what you are inadvertently saying ... little humans are dangerous.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Also I HATE kids. I find them annoying and repulsive,
“Also I HATE kids. I find them annoying and repulsive”
Did you just post this?
Am I reading right?
Were you born an adult?
You call yourself a “puppy parent.” You are not a parent. You are a dog owner.

A 1-year-old human being is a clueless BABY and cannot be a brat, because they can’t reason. Humans don’t reach the age of reason until they are 6.
Backing out of his thread right now, because it is that statement of yours that actually is repulsive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need to take my dislike of children personally. I don't hurt them. I do my best to avoid interacting with them at all.

The kid was NOT a 1 year old, my DOG is just over a year old. The kid was older than that, preteen, but I don't know exactly how old. Not really super relevant to how I raise my puppy since my question was about kids in general.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I mean, I don't want kids, and don't find them to be the most scintillating conversationalists, but we love our nieces and nephew, and they're fun to be around (always have been).

Agis is great with them - but they're now 6-12 (four of them spread across that range). Younger kids on tricycles/bikes or scooters he has demonstrated himself not to be great with in recent months, and at other times, is...suspicious...of younger kids. There is a splash pad and playground at the park across the street. We're going to the park and having him watch the kids, give us eye contact, mark, reward - good things happen when kids are around, yay kids! Started from far out, moving in as he gets more comfortable (respecting that I'm pretty sure dogs aren't allowed in the playground/splash pad itself, so we're only going to get so close). While my main goal is having Agis learn kids are good, my #1 goal is that he not get reactive during the this work.

I want Agis to be good with children of all ages, because not only do I not want him deciding how to react around them, but it's not fair to the kids, who could grow up to be people with good impressions of dogs, or people terrified of dogs. The woman who lives above us has an older kid/tween daughter and the mom is terrified of dogs - that's a learned response. She's pretty good with the dogs now, which I'm happy about, especially Agis (he's the "scariest" looking one). The daughter keeps her distance, but it's all positive when they see each other.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
I have no idea how old he is. Could be 5, could be 10, mouthy little thing that gets very touchy every time he sees me so I mostly just stay away
5 or 10 is not a preteen.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
OK, so I misread the age of the child. Fair enough. Just don’t go around calling yourself a parent. It’s annoying and repulsive.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Dogs can pick up on our dislike of someone. You hating children can certainly be telegraphed to your dog, and affect their behavior.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Good experiences or bad, when it comes to kids it's kinda on you. For those "once in a blue moon" encounters, just understand that the liability is on you and your dog entirely!

For that reason, my advice would be to actually teach your dog that kids are to either be accepted or avoided. Under no circumstances, no matter how much a kid's fault, is it okay for your dog to retaliate in any way!

And again, something THAT important, at least to me, means that I want my dog to understand that rule very clearly! Can't do that without training and practice.

But of course, your dog your risk. So do what you think is best!

Reactions: Aly

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
"in the way that kids do, the little brat kept ignoring commands of "Leave the dog along." "Quit chasing him." "Sit still and quit pestering the dog." So the brat had to be repeatedly told to stop (not even by me)"

Every adult there (mostly you as the dog owner) blew it.

You don't say how old the brat is but if you (adults) let him be in a position to pester the dog and potentially GET BITTEN, that's on you.
Protect your dog.
Don't let the kid get bitten.

No kid outside my family, touches my dog without oversight.

-Just shooting you some truth.
Read this ^^^^^ 100 times, then write it 100 times, that’s how I learned when I was a hated kid.

I find your words disturbing, there are ways to describe a dislike of children without referring to them as repulsive.

You failed your dog, it’s that simple. I control who touches And how they touch my dogs at all times. It sounds like your dog tried everything to avoid inappropriate behaviour by this child so if your description is accurate, I’d say your dog was the best behaved of all of you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, so I misread the age of the child. Fair enough. Just don’t go around calling yourself a parent. It’s annoying and repulsive.
No offense intended, but in this case your input is both invalid and unwanted. I am a pet parent. A dog mamma. My partner and I refer to him as our son because we are both weird like that.

I do not treat him like a human, but he has just as much value to me, and I dote on him like an adopted child. This fact harms no one and I'm sorry if it somehow makes you feel invalid or weird but that's not my problem and I do not appreciate being told not to use a phrase or words that are completely harmless and in no way insulting to anyone.

5 or 10 is not a preteen.
Still irrelevant. Kids come in a variety of ages and therefore the age of this ONE SPECIFIC example is not super important when asking for advice about going forward.
So form this point I'm not going to respond to irrelevant replies. But thank you for legitimate advice. I will take it under consideration.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Frankly, it is irrelevant to me if you don’t want my reply.
This is a public forum, and people will respond to what you choose to post.
I’m done here. Thank goodness there is a block feature, as any other replies to you may get me banned.

Bear - 7.5 mo old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
213 Posts
Dogs are extremely perceptive and really pick up on our moods/likes/personality traits. If you don't want to find yourself in an awful situation where your dog bites an INNOCENT child (resulting in an angry parent calling for him to be put down) then I would suggest you not teach him to hate children. You literally owe it to him to teach him to respect ALL people. Maybe he would absolutely love children! Do not decide that for him. I do believe that you love him very much and want what is best for him. He needs to learn to accept and respect people of all ages. His life may literally depend on it one day.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts