German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP NEEDED ASAP:

Please help!!!! After two long years of being on a waiting list for an agility dog, we have been notified by the breeder that, at long last, our number has come up and ...WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!!!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children into rescue this weekend!

The children are described as:
One male - His name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained & gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female - Her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy & can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls & little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training-shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them; that is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.

I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here!!! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

(Yes, suggesting you get rid of your children is ridiculous, but so is getting rid of your dog because you have a human child now!)

-author unknown to me-

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go for it ShepsRgr8. I volunteered at a rescue for 5 years. You guys are my Heroes. They are all such loving dogs. I rescued a 9 y/o GSD. He was the best dog I have ever had, even if it wasn't for very long... I will keep him forever in my heart.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I would say a new baby is THE number one reason we get dogs returned to our program. I'm to a point where I don't want to adopt out to reproductive aged people any more. Of course we ask all those questions - are you planning to have kids? What will happen when you do? etc etc, and even with all the screening, of 5 fosters I've ever had personally returned FOUR of them were because they were having a new baby.

They all thought their situation was "unique" they all thought what they were doing was perfectly reasonable. It all just makes me crazy. Yes, having a new baby is stressful, but that's going to be the case dog or no dog. You hunker down, you get through it. You don't kick the old "kid" out because now you've got a new one.

I've seen that thing circulating before and I like it a lot. If I can find the author I'm going to see about posting it on our site.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
lol i think i could take "tommy" but lexi and her need of attitude adjustment just wont work for me. Im tired of "fixing" kids, i'd rather just buy one that already knows how to behave.... LMAO!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks, Cara. I will pass it on. I just had an O/S due to the woman being pregnant. I know them well. I could not believe they would do this. Anyway, I told her to keep my number becasue she might need to call me after the baby is born, you know, in case things get tough. She didn't think it was funny. Good, I wasn't kidding....

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I think the hair color may match my furniture -- if it doesn't may I return them?

Also, just how big will these kids get? I have some clothes here that may do for awhile but, well if they get too big can I return them?

What about when they get to that age when they become interested in the opposite sex? If they don't stay home and in their rooms when they are commanded to stay -- can I return them?

If they don't shine in school and give me something to brag about -- can I return them?

If they start demanding attention and care over feeding every day can I return them? I do have a full-time job you know.

If in a couple of years they need braces can I return them?

Will you be sending all their toys and bedding with them? How about a couple of weeks food?

In about 7 years if I see someone with younger and cuter kids offered, do I have to keep these older kids?

I think I'll take them both. My husband will be returning from a business trip next week and will be so surprised to find out we have a new family. Err.... if he is not thrilled -- can I return them?

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Originally Posted By: pupresqI would say a new baby is THE number one reason we get dogs returned to our program.
I have to admit that the ferocity of protectiveness rears it's ugly head when you get pregnant and have a child. My son was most definitely more important to me than my dog. I had experience with dogs, but never with a child & didn't know what to expect at all.
I didn't know how to handle it at first .... but we muddled through it. Now baby boy loves our GSD X and I realized that much of the worrying was for naught.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
If Lexie doesn't match TJ's furniture, I might be interested. But I do have a 3 year old girl who has been known to bite.

It's funny but really not in light of the poster who had a baby and re homed his older dog...

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I can understand people being concerned and wanting to be careful but I wish more of them would give it a chance. I have a son too and he is my Grace's shining star. She LOVES her boy. The dogs we've had returned have had no aggression issues, no problem behaviors, great dogs actually, the people just didn't want to be bothered with the extra obligation during a busy and stressful time. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally Posted By: pupresqI can understand people being concerned and wanting to be careful but I wish more of them would give it a chance. I have a son too and he is my Grace's shining star. She LOVES her boy. The dogs we've had returned have had no aggression issues, no problem behaviors, great dogs actually, the people just didn't want to be bothered with the extra obligation during a busy and stressful time. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am with you on the kids and dogs- My boys were there first, then we got rescue #1 Sophie. Then, foster to Joe and Bosco- then resued #2 Vinnie. Then, after thirteen rescue and foster placements, we got #3 GSD mix. We have one foster currently and three perma pets. They adore my boys. My boys are their boys. If I come home without the boys, I get very confused dogs who like to look for the boys. Finally, when the boys arrive, the dogs are happy again that their family is back together!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
DH and I will take the girl but we want a clause that we can return her when she reaches dating age or permission to lock her in her room until she turns 21. Then she has to move out. LOL

I really loved the joke. I have never seen it before. Having a child is an adjustment for every family member and dogs can make the adjustments. I guess maybe people are scared to give them a chance. It is really no different than having the kids first, take a little time, but everyone adjusts. I feel bad for the pups but hopefully they can find their true forever home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts