German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chief and I have been working hard training him to not get so scared randomally. Most people know the troubles I have had with him getting afraid and shutting down and sometime even peeing on himself. I haven't been able to train anything new, because he would get scared almost instantly. That has diminished by ALOT. I have now been working on training him something very simple and that is to jump over my leg. We train short sessions but often. I do it with treats and his favorite green ball. He is finally excited to do it although he is to excited he doesn't always get over my leg or he hits me in the face, but I give him treats anyway for trying. I do a food reward a few times then the last one is the ball thrown over my leg and praise as he runs after it. Over all is finally getting excited to learn again or at least try. I have been working with him and Smokey on waiting while I and training or petting the other one then I treat the one I play with and vise versa.

I had been using a long lead when walking Chief and he was pulling quite a bit I would stop and he would automatically go to my left side. Which was great, but the pulling wouldn't stop he doesn't care about changing directions actually that gets him more excited. I had a 6ft leash, but never used it, because I figured the point of a walk is exercise and to get tired. How much is he really getting on such a short leash, but I recently have been watching The Dog Whisperer on Nat Geo Wild. I had never really watched it before, because I had heard so many bad things about his methods and seen his "touch" on youtube, but I started watching it and realized he is not as bad a I thought and he as helped me a lot. Now I still like Victoria Stilwell the most and I don't believe in all of CM methods, but watching him help people be calm and assertive and seeing how he noticed when they are tensing up has helped me on my walks with Chief.

I take him to the park and we walk around the same area and now with the 6ft leash with a few corrections he will walk right next to me. I even got a compliment from a lady saying that's how she likes her dogs and I was even walking next to a friend and his dog. Last time I took him to Lowes he was nuts pulling and barking. I got told it was okay to bring him in, but if he keeps barking like he was I would have to leave. I recently took him in there and he was perfect next to me and not one bark or whine. He has helped me a lot to be not so tense and learn to relax the leash and not hold on for dear life in the anticipation of him pulling the leash out of my hand.

He is doing great at taking treats "easy". He's perfect at waiting until I say okay to eat his food, waiting at the door and waiting in the car until I say okay. We have been working on his drop it of his toys I call it "out" He is doing really good at that to and we have also been working on his slight food aggression and he is doing great on that to. He isn't getting afraid of new toys like he has been. I have him eat his food then I hide a few treat balls around the house then tell him to find it and he loves it! He is so proud when he finds it and boy does he use that nose of his.

Things I need help on/Things we need to work on

• Not pulling on the leash when my boyfriend is with me. He acts like he doesn't know how to walk on the leash when he is around and I get very frustrated.
  • Meeting other dogs nicely. He loves to meet other dogs, but he rushes up and starts licking their private. Some don't mind some do.
  • Letting other dogs sniff him. He is so in their area he doesn't give them a chance to sniff him
  • When we go to new trails his nose just goes crazy and he is just smelling everything and not paying attention, but if its the same area we have been before even though there is all new smells he does great. A couple corrections and he is good.
  • Stay when out of sight
Most of the work we need to do has to do with him meeting and being more calm around other dogs. I have sought out people that I know have barking dogs by their fence and I just walk back and fourth until he just walks nice with me and it only takes a couple passes and he is fine. It's when we pass dogs on the walk that he is so hyped up to say hello. I get him to sit sometimes when a dog passes and he sits, whines gets back up, pulls to the dog I make him sit and he is sniffing the air and I try to calmly walk to the dog and he bee lines for their private which is okay to sniff and stuff, but he licks it like mad male or female. I know know people who have dogs that I can just keep walking past them over and over so I can correct him its just the random people I see when we walk.

Any suggestions on the walking/meeting new dogs would be helpful. I think I got most of the information on his walking habits, but if you need anymore let me know. Over all most of the problems we have had have gone. He is even relaxing while I make his food now not shaking, whining and drooling. He relaxes and lays completely out in the front yard while I brush him. Normally he is on watch for anything.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Congrats on your progress with Chief! For walking and other dogs - I suggest that you start by keeping a distance - if you see another dog being walked coming toward you - turn and go the other way and reward Chief for following you - also try curving around - keeping a distance - as Chief gets better then you can shorten the distance.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I never thought of going the other way. I could give that a try and see how it goes. That again kind of goes with walking with my boyfriend he is not as bad pulling toward other dogs when it is just me. I just wish he would go so nuts licking the other dog when he does meet them its quite embarrassing. I mean a little is fine getting to know their scent, but he licks them like he is drinking a bowl of water, but don't give them a chance to smell him. I thought about turning him around myself and me letting the dog smell him would that be beneficial to him?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I wouldn't let him have any contact with dogs on walks - that can go south in a hurry - in my experience the licking can quickly turn to nipping and if the other dog is smaller and gets hurt - the big gsd gets the blame. He can have contact and play with other dogs off leash at the dog park - on leash and on walks - he has to focus on you.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As most of you know at my old home Chief had a dog I called the white dog that he HATED with every fiber in his body and it hated him to and he eventually got attacked by that dog. Took awhile to get him happy with other dogs again. Well seems like we have another dog that Chief really doesn't like we have seen this dog numerous times walking on trails. Now he doesn't go completely insane when he sees it, but he does lunge and bark.

I saw the dog again today with walking with Chiefs buddy and a new buddy he met today. He lunged and barked really bad the first time he passed the second time he passed I moved over corrected him and he sat and stayed. My thing is I think I see why he doesn't like this dog. I was watching the dogs face and body and his ears are definatly forward , huge eyes, and he stares Chief right in the eye no blinking. I did see Chief looking away a couple times, but no matter how far the dog is he just barks and lunges, but I am not scared to death to walk around as I was with the other dog. I did see that dog meet Chiefs two buddies as I was throwing a poo bad away. Both of those dogs are really soft eyed and submissive. I would like to just be able to walk past this dog even though Chief doesn't like it and I wish I knew why he just happens to find that one dog that he just hates. I would like him to just hate the dog, but still be able to be near it.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think it would be better to avoid the dogs that Chief doesn't like and respect his feelings.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do try to avoid them, but I would like to be able to walk past the dog without him lungeing, barking, and growling. This is not at all dogs only certain ones. I would like to just be able to move out of the way and continue walking.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Since this thread is about Chiefs progress training and stuff to work on I thought I would post a video of him doing a wonderful down stay waiting on my "yes" Before he would pace around was hard to get him in a down and when he was he was whineing, drooling, and physically shaking in the whole time I was even making his food. Now he will lay down away from my prep area and then we do a down stay and he waits for my okay. I can even walk out of the kitchen and he will turn his head back looking at me while staying in his down. Hes doing fantastic at it.

The moving on the camera is me flinching making sure hes paying attention to what I am saying not what I do. Then I go hide a few toys around the house with kibble in it for him to find then play with to get the food out. He loves it as soon as hes done eating he goes searching for them.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Great - Chief does an excellent down/stay. I suggest you use that and all this training with the lunging around certain dogs. I would practice - have Chief on heel - and on the side away from the other dog - walk on - turn sharp just when you think he will lunge - have him sit - keep your back to the other dog and have Chief focus on you - then have him go on the down- he gets a reward - then turn - curve around. With practice he will start to look at you for the treat and not do the lunging.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
His normal down isn't quite as good as when he know he has his dinner waiting, but we will defiantly be working on it. It is pretty good, but around other dogs and such it takes me a bit to get his attention and he will slowly head to his down. I have a nice treat bag that I have not used I guess its about time I break it out with all kinds of different treats.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Great idea and walk him before dinner :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts