German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want feed my puppy some chicken which bones are safe ? Or should I remove the bones ?

Im new in raw feeding so can u guys help me what to feed my puppy ? What should I give him ? What should I mix together ? Always want the best for him

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
576 Posts
Chicken bones are safe if you put them in a food processor and grind them into powder...other than that, they can very easily kill your K9. Especially a puppy !

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^not true. Do your research. Many puppies successfully eat RAW chicken bones every day.

My pups started on chicken backs, necks and eventually i quartered the bird and they went at it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Don't remove the bones. They need the bones as part of the diet or you will be removing essential vitamins and minerals. You need more than just some chicken meat and bone also.

Do some searches on here for puppies and raw. You'll get ideas for setting up a well rounded, healthy, raw diet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Help I don't see how to start a new thread.

My GSD ate a cooked rib bone tonight, I'm worried sick.

Don't remove the bones. They need the bones as part of the diet or you will be removing essential vitamins and minerals. You need more than just some chicken meat and bone also.

Do some searches on here for puppies and raw. You'll get ideas for setting up a well rounded, healthy, raw diet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
to the OP:

RAW BONE is ok for your dog.
Think small for your new puppy. S/He is small and chewing through a thick thigh or leg bone could be difficult. But it wont hurt them as long as they are actually CHEWING it.. just remember RAW BONE.

My Asher-rat wolfs her food down, so I have to make certain that she is paying attention to her food stuffs. If I worry she wont chew it, I break it up. I do not have a grinder, but a real sharp cleaver.

Darla:

Watch your baby, if s/he seems to be choking (trying to puke it up but can't) or has difficult BM's, wont eat, or has blood in their urine or stool... go to your vet.

Otherwise just be observant and cross your fingers. Hope all turns out ok.

Rule of thumb in my house:

Never leave cooked bones in the house. My garbage is in the pantry, with the door shut, and my dogs aren't garbage diggers (thank gods) but a bone is tempting to any dog...

My Dante got into chicken bones ONE TIME and that was that. No more bones of any kind stay in the house after a meal.

I also take any foam trays and the plastic covered fabric for soaking up the blood from meats out to my big garbage can... It smells like their food and they can't help themselves at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far, so good, she's eating, drinking and going to the bathroom ok. My vet said to only bring her in if she gets sick to her stomach has bloody stool, seems to be in pain or stops eating. Do you think we are past the danger point or could she still get sick? She's had three meals since and it's been almost 24 hrs.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
I would give her pumpkin with her meals for fiber and watch her stool.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Legs and wings' cortical (tubular or cylindrical) bones are considered to be dangerous, as their niddle-sharp fragments may pierce the gut. "V" shaped clavicles are not safe. And, your puppy wouldn't like to chew bones of shoulder blades. The rest is good for your puppy, provided it is all raw. Never give your dog cooked bones, its calcium changes its structure during boiling and becomes hard, it may block the system. Too many bones fed too often may block the system as well.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
Don't give your puppy raw hides!!! Those are horrible and are an obstruction danger.

People - this question was asked in the RAW feeding section.

Azizamm - contact Lauri at rawdogranch.com. She can help you set up a meal plan for your puppy.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Seriously the advice on this thread makes me want to bang my head into a wall.

OP don't listen to this post. Go do some research on PREY MODEL RAW or the BARF DIET.

RAW bones are OK. In fact, they are essential in a raw diet.

Anyone who does not feed a raw diet does not need to reply to this thread. Your adding wrong information and confusing people.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
to the OP:

RAW BONE is ok for your dog.
Think small for your new puppy. S/He is small and chewing through a thick thigh or leg bone could be difficult. But it wont hurt them as long as they are actually CHEWING it.. just remember RAW BONE.

My Asher-rat wolfs her food down, so I have to make certain that she is paying attention to her food stuffs. If I worry she wont chew it, I break it up. I do not have a grinder, but a real sharp cleaver.

Darla:

Watch your baby, if s/he seems to be choking (trying to puke it up but can't) or has difficult BM's, wont eat, or has blood in their urine or stool... go to your vet.

Otherwise just be observant and cross your fingers. Hope all turns out ok.

Rule of thumb in my house:

Never leave cooked bones in the house. My garbage is in the pantry, with the door shut, and my dogs aren't garbage diggers (thank gods) but a bone is tempting to any dog...

My Dante got into chicken bones ONE TIME and that was that. No more bones of any kind stay in the house after a meal.

I also take any foam trays and the plastic covered fabric for soaking up the blood from meats out to my big garbage can... It smells like their food and they can't help themselves at times.
Is there a "like" button here? :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
I once fed Lulu the spine of a raw chicken (she was 10 or 12 weeks old) It was more than just the spine but the spine is the important part. The spine bones got caught in her intestine and wouldnt come out. She had pooped some out but not all ( I was finding them) they had very sharp points on them that would hurt me so I knew they were hurting her. We ended up at the EVET because she couldnt pass the rest.

600$ later and a poor puppy that had to have a rectal who was NOT HAPPY about it. The poor dog yelped and I felt so bad for her. After that though, I stopped feeding the spine of a chicken. Now I just buy the best dog food I can afford and leave it at that.

As a side note the vet did say that if she had been older it would have been a non issue. He equated it to feeding a human baby a porkchop. He said sure a grown up can eat it and process it fine but you have to find the right age to start add new foods. Before the spine issues I had been feeding her other raw foods and she did just fine. Just stay away form the bones people warn you about other wise I would say its safe.

HTH's

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Plz DONt give your puppy or any dog any bones but raw hides
hahahha some of the advice on here is laughable. if you've never fed raw, you shouldnt give people advice on it.

i gave my 8 week pup wings/necks no problem. around 9 weeks i gave him this huge one pound chicken quarter just to see what he could do with it. i was watching tv and lost track of him and he ate the whole freaking thing. chomped down on the thigh bone no problem. your dog should be able to handle any type of chicken bone. just watch him the first couple of times. it took my pup like 20 minutes to finish his first chicken wing. now at 11 weeks i can put down a cup of orijen and he will sit and wait for his raw food like a brat.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Seriously the advice on this thread makes me want to bang my head into a wall.

OP don't listen to this post. Go do some research on PREY MODEL RAW or the BARF DIET.

RAW bones are OK. In fact, they are essential in a raw diet.

Anyone who does not feed a raw diet does not need to reply to this thread. Your adding wrong information and confusing people.

I don't feed raw but I am going to reply anyway :) There is so much misinformation floating around the internet and this board that really makes you want to bang your head against the wall. Just because something gets repeated over and over doesn't make it true. At the very least the majority of diets promoted on here are unbalanced.

I agree with doing your research and here is some from Tufts University: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/nutrition/resources/raw_meat_diets.pdf

UC Davis: http://www.cvma.net/doc.asp?ID=3264

1 - 20 of 35 Posts