German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

My now 10 month has been on raw a diet since 5 months - weighing 45 lbs at the start of the diet change and 71 lbs today, we're still on the lean side and trying to get weight up slightly. We started slowly with chicken backs, then adding slowly adding chicken liver, eggs, and occasional drum sticks for the first month or so. Now he has two daily meals:

Breakfast
1 lbs ground beef
.15 lbs chicken liver
.15 lbs cooked pumpkin or squash
1/2 tablespoon hemp seed oil
1 NuVet vitamin

Dinner
.75 lbs chicken back
.25 lbs chicken heart
.15 lbs cooked pumpkin or squash
1/2 tablespoon hemp seed oil

Two/three times per week I will add in a piece of freeze dried salmon skin and an egg from our chicken coop w/shell. I used swap out chicken necks for backs to switch things up, but it seemed as if the necks we're causing him more itchiness than the backs.

In my initial research preparing everything for the switch to raw I did notice some people talking about chicken allergies, but it seemed to be mainly from factory farmed chicken bought at Walmart or some non-local supermarket. I was able to find a very nearby organic poultry farm that sells me the backs at $1/pound and thought that would be enough to avoid an itchy puppy.

The first 3 months of this diet went great, we did not notice any different behavior, stool was consistent and solid. But then we started to notice him biting and scratching himself in the same spots multiple times/day. That's when we added in the cooked pumpkin and hemp seed oil into his diet (about 1.5 months ago). This really seemed to work for a little while, he seemed much less obsessed with biting and scratching himself, but just in the past week he has been incredibly itchy. Lots of chewing on paws, arms, legs, tail, everywhere really. We have also found small red bumps that looked dry under his coat. Not a lot of them, but I can usually find one or two every time I look. There hasn't been any hair loss at the spots.

I'm worried that we kept him on a mainly chicken diet for too long at too young of an age and he's developed this seemingly common allergy. I'm hoping we can get some help with ideas for sourcing alternative raw meaty bone as well as any insight on chicken allergies for GSD. We definitely know that we want to continue the raw diet.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I should maybe add he had what we determined to be impetigo at around 5 months, we treated with benzoyl peroxide shampoo that was really effective. That hasn't happened since and the small bumps we're occasionally finding now don't resemble that condition at all.

He also does have occasional loose stools, maybe once every two weeks. It never lasts more than a day. His stool is consistently solid and partially turns to a chalk consistency the next day.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
Food allergies really aren't all that common. And they don't typically present with chewing on paws and body nor would one chicken part cause a higher reaction than another. I would look at another source for allergies than than the food before you start buying expensive foods. Been there, done all that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have had 2 dogs (both GSD's - had both at the same time ) with chicken allergies. While I can't say your dogs are allergic to chicken-i ended up switching to a fish based diet and one of the dogs skin conditions completely resolved itself in a month or two. The other dog was better after the switch, but until i added CBD oil to her diet still was licking her paws and other body areas - but the CBD made her much less miserable (and me too, as I was constantly dealing with hot spots on her)
m

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have had 2 dogs (both GSD's - had both at the same time ) with chicken allergies. While I can't say your dogs are allergic to chicken-i ended up switching to a fish based diet and one of the dogs skin conditions completely resolved itself in a month or two. The other dog was better after the switch, but until i added CBD oil to her diet still was licking her paws and other body areas - but the CBD made her much less miserable (and me too, as I was constantly dealing with hot spots on her)
m
The hemp seed oil I use seemed to make a big difference, but it only lasted a month or so. Maybe I will try to find a high quality CBD oil for him. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Food allergies really aren't all that common. And they don't typically present with chewing on paws and body nor would one chicken part cause a higher reaction than another. I would look at another source for allergies than than the food before you start buying expensive foods. Been there, done all that.
Do you have any ideas other than diet that would be causing an itchy pup?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I suspect chicken allergy too and did a nextmune blood test, but as far as I know blood test is not reliable when comes to food allergies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts