German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say your pup chewed up your iPad, iPhone, work shoe, about 10 DVD movie cases/DVD, a full bag of chips, a soda can, a sleek dress and the corner of a new $2,200 leather couch?

Is something wrong and dog needs to be put down or is placing a acceptable chew object in front of the dog saying "here" a better method?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Uhhhhh an acceptable chew object. Why would you put the dog down?! That would never even cross my mind.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I would crate him when he's alone, give him his own things to chew. You might try tethering him to you- literally have him tied to your side except to play, potty and sleep in the crate. When you're watching tv, using the computer, eating dinner, etc, give him one thing to chew and one thing to play with. He needs to learn what's appropriate to chew on and what's not. Are you teaching NILF?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Uh....you need to supervise your puppy. My puppies (currently, puppIES), wouldn't chew these items up because they are supervised and don't have access to these things.

I hope you were kidding.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Buy a crate. When you cant watch him. Put him in a crate for heavens sake. You cant leave a puppy on his own in a house with so much temptations around. If a crate is out of the question , puppy proof your house. Please dont kill the puppy , he sounds smart.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Adamdude04 ....that was a joke....your testing us right...your a senior member for heavens sake....

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would say the owner needs to roll up a newspaper and beat themselves over the head with it because they are doing a poor job of supervising their puppy.

You're kidding, right?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
When your dog does something like that, the accepted method of punishment is as follows:

Take a newspaper, roll it up very tightly, and smack yourself repeatedly about the head and face while saying "Bad Owner! Bad, bad owner! Supervise your dog!"

When stuff like that happens it's always your fault for not supervising. Crate your dog when you can't supervise.

You know this stuff Adam!

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Adamdude04 ....that was a joke....your testing us right...your a senior member for heavens sake....
Rankings are based on number of posts. He's only been a member since last April. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
My bad....i cannot believe anyone could be that shallow minded. Thats why i thought he had to be joking. If he is serious. He needs to give the dog to someone who would love it enough to train it....

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Well, he may still be joking. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If I were you I would invest in a crate and USE it. Jamie has only ever chewed on two things in our house a Wii controller and one cord. I gave her acceptable things to chew on. She has tons of toys and rawhides to chew. You can't just leave a puppy loose and unsupervised. You need to get a crate and make an area for your puppy and that be their safe spot.

Jamie does not need her crate in the den anymore so she has a bed and all her toys there and she knows that is her area and acceptable things to play and chew on. Puppies don't know they aren't suppose to just chew on everything they see.

GSD's grow fast and it may seem like they are adults because of their size, but they are still puppies. It may be a long time before yours can be trusted loose in the house. I have two in the house. Victor will be 2 next month and Jamie who is a little over 6 mths. I don't leave either out when I am not able to watch them.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Why would your puppy even have access to those things? Like everyone has already said, that is your fault, not the puppy's. He certainly doesn't deserve to be executed for something that is your fault.
Puppies chew, that is what they do. You, me and every person on this board, heck, the entire planet, knows this. It is YOUR job to see that they chew on appropriate toys and not your expensive gadgets.

I really hope you were just making a very bad joke. And if it was a joke, it was in very poor taste. Not funny.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
WOW......time to start out at Puppy 101.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sounds like the pup doesn't have enough toys and has access to too many non toy items. I would never put a dog to sleep due to a behavioral problem, only serious health issues.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used one of these baby gate corrals, bought and extra piece, and then had 2 long sections that I used to block off chunks of my living room so the puppy was still hanging with us but not able to get at anything. He learned really quick and at 20 weeks doesn't chew anything that doesn't belong to him.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Giving a pup something proper to chew on will not solve the problem. Crate or some other means to safely confine the pup while you can't supervise and make sure the pup is getting enough mental and physical exercise. Train the "leave it" command and when the pup attempts to chew on something it shouldn't say "leave it" and teach the pup it is not to mess with those things. Give the pup something appropriate to chew on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts