German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wolf LOVES to chew. I give him bully sticks and antlers, but I'm looking for something a little different. He was never a fan of kong or nylabones no matter what I did/put in it. I was wondering if you guys have ever tried any of these and what you thought of them?
Merrick Doggie G.I. Bone Dog Chew

Amazon.com: Merrick Dog Treat Ranger Meaty Beef Rib, 8 to 10-Inch: Pet Supplies

Redbarn Barky Bark Natural Dog Chew

And what do you guys think about stuff like dried trachea or lung? Is that healthy?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Lara lovvvvvves dried lung, but they are treats not chews (the Merrick ones). They would never ever last more than one or two bites, are pretty stinky, but she goes insane for them when I bust them out on rare occasion

Just recently got some pig ears and she likes those, I dont know how healthy they are though.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We stick to bully sticks and antlers. He also loves to play and chew on balls. They are kong balls, one helps clean their teeth. I tried nyla bone nubs and he got crazy diarrhea. never again!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
try center cut femur bones. they have marrow. you can get them
from a butcher, maybe Supermarket, meat wholesaler or i can send
you a couple to try.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I do femurs and knuckles. Raw so no chance of splintering. Raw meaty bones like above are great for recreational chewing and they clean teeth. Im looking into the himalayan chews as well. Gunther gets through a bully stick in two hours or less so theyre too expensive for how long they last us. I also put part of his meals (kibble) in his kong and it reinforces him to chew on his kong as well as makes him take longer to eat :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mego-haha ok i think i'll SKIP those
doggiedad-thank you!! i looked at my local butcher's website-they have a whole dog section so i'll go in and check it out. i think he'd like the femur bones.
gsd-i tried the frozen lollipops and wolf just looked at me like "are you kidding me?" and didn't touch it. he's very picky.
trcy-he loooves his bully sticks and antlers, but really doesn't want to be bothered with kongs or nylabones hahaha.
angela-i'm definitely going to try the bones...but the himalayan treats i wasn't sure about...i couldn't find any big ones and i'm afraid he'll swallow or choke on the small ones i've been seeing. have you seen big ones??

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if you buy femur bones make sure they're beef bones.
cut the knuckles off but don't split the bones. if you split
the bones your dog will access to all of the marrow and that
much marrow could cause dire rear'a.

mego-haha ok i think i'll SKIP those

>>>> doggiedad-thank you!! i looked at my local butcher's website-they have a whole dog section so i'll go in and check it out. i think he'd like the femur bones. <<<<

gsd-i tried the frozen lollipops and wolf just looked at me like "are you kidding me?" and didn't touch it. he's very picky.
trcy-he loooves his bully sticks and antlers, but really doesn't want to be bothered with kongs or nylabones hahaha.
angela-i'm definitely going to try the bones...but the himalayan treats i wasn't sure about...i couldn't find any big ones and i'm afraid he'll swallow or choke on the small ones i've been seeing. have you seen big ones??

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a pet food store that's local that carries the XL Himalayan chews there's also the Jumbo Himalayan chew that is 7.5" which i found online here: Himalayan Dog Chew - Jumbo Big Dog | Himalayan Dog Chews. My pup isn't allowed to have anything that isn't his Kong without supervision. I also have a really weird dog who chews the smallest kibble/treat (except the pet botanic's beef training treats).

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
doggiedad-thanks for the tip :) definitely don't want to come home to:poop: everywhere

Angela-thanks for the link!! local pet stores here don't really have any much bigger then 3 inches, and i order from best bully alot...i never thought to check there:crazy:

·
Registered
290 Posts
To vary his chews and keep em interesting, we give our dog bully sticks, tendons, cow snouts and rolled cow cheek (which last forever). On occasion he'll get a salmon skin bone because he loves em, but theory don't last five minutes.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Our puppy loves antlers and bully sticks. However, I supervise the bully sticks and remove them when they get to small for him to grip with his paws. Although, bully sticks are digestible our puppy once woke me up at night coughing. He ended up coughing up almost a two inch piece of a bully stick. Unknowingly to us he hoarded another smaller (partially chewed) sticks under his bedding in our room. I am now more careful.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kratos loves bully sticks, braided beef chews, and pig snouts. Also he has a soft spot for tennis balls. The braided beef chews I take apart when they get too small and he seperates the braids. He choked on one piece and I had to reach down his throat to get it out. Very scary, now I watch EVERY chew just to be safe. Also I'll toss a stewing bone at him (raw) and let him go nuts on the tile. When he walks away and gets bored of it I refreze it for him and then start over. It helps sooth his gums and keeps him nice and cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts