German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 yr old puppy that is generally pretty well behaved. I started a new job recently that leaves our puppy and our 12 yr old boxer alone in the house all day. We have a dog walker come by at 12 to let them out and walk them for 30 min. I get up at 5:30 to let the dogs out and to exercise the puppy for 30 min before work. Recently she has started chewing the edges of our rug in the living room. There are numerous toys, balls laying around for her to gnaw on. She has also destroyed her bed as well as the boxers bed. I'm talking about total annihilation
of the beds. Is there a spray or something I could put on the rug to prevent her from chewing? I know she is bored but after destroying 4 dog beds and our rug I'm starting to get concerned.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Have you crate trained? We left our baby in her crate when we were gone until she was a little over 2 years old. She loves her crate and wonders way she is left out now. But GSD's are slow to mature. Crate her.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
From your story it looks like your big pup is STILL just a pup! Definitely crate him/her for now. He either needs mental stimulation to keep him occupied throughout the day or crate.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
You could try Bitter Apple Spray. Rather than a crate, I would suggest an outdoor kennel with a roof so she can't climb over it. Perhaps the dog walker could come for an additional daily walk to give her more exercise. If she gets along well with other dogs and it there is one in your area, a doggy daycare for a couple of days a week or more if affordable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts