German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1 year old male GSD and recently adopted a 2 year old female GSD.

Our younger male is infatuated with her and loves playing with her and chewing on her/grooming her.

He is fixated on chewing on a portion of her neck and I just discovered this morning that she is developing a hot spot there. She actually seems to like it when he plays/chews on her.

Any tips on how I can get him to STOP? They both get plenty of exercise and have plenty of chew toys. We use e-collar and it’s not helping as much with this issue as I had hoped. He’s a stubborn guy!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,703 Posts
He may be grooming her to help deflea her?If so treat them and your home for fleas.Also when they are together you could try having her wear a bandana that you spray lightly with something that tastes bad to him.A citrus based spray is a good choice to try.The hot spot will need to air out and dry up so don't keep it covered constantly.
You may be able to think up a different strategy to make the neck grooming unpleasant for him.It's not easy to outsmart our dogs sometimes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He may be grooming her to help deflea her?If so treat them and your home for fleas.Also when they are together you could try having her wear a bandana that you spray lightly with something that tastes bad to him.A citrus based spray is a good choice to try.The hot spot will need to air out and dry up so don't keep it covered constantly.
You may be able to think up a different strategy to make the neck grooming unpleasant for him.It's not easy to outsmart our dogs sometimes!
No fleas, she was actually just cleared by the vet a few days ago. I like the idea of the bandana with the bitter spray though, I may have to give that a try! Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts