German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had bought this vanilla flavored chewing bone eight months ago. It's made of nylon. My dog loves chewing on it and some part of it is already gone. Is it bad for my dog to swallow pieces of this nylon chewing bone? It's a well known German brand called Karlie.

Tableware Liquid Dishware Ingredient Drink

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Yes and no... I gave my pup nylabones, she ate pieces off of it, and didn't have problems, but they aren't good chew toys to just leave you pup with as they "could cause a blockage".

There is a line for most of us though, where you have to decide between being over or under protective of your pup.

I have always been more of a risk taker in that regard, because I believe it's better for the dog in the end. You, may not agree, and that's fine as well. Follow your gut!

·
Registered
300 Posts
We have tried Nylabones. In our experience, our dogs would try it for awhile and then quit after a short go. Our Rottie used them the most during teething, chewing the end off until a sharp-ish point but then leaving the bulk. Our JRTs sampled a tiny bit then gave off. In the Rottie's case, did not see much potential for blockage, but that is our experience.

Re blockages we had a frightening experience with a piece of pig's ear (puppy threw it up hours later and was ok). My neighbor had a serious blockage with her dog (costing thousands of dollars to resolve) with a cow's hoof chewy. Definitely changed the program.

Won't do Nyla bones in the future as I can't believe swallowing inorganic substances such as plastics or nylons with who knows what chemicals involved is any better for our pets than it is for us.

And I absolutely agree with monitoring during chewing sessions no matter what you are using.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Personally not a fan of letting my dogs chew on plastic "bones". Dog stuff isn't regulated in the same manner as stuff for children so you don't really know what is in it as far as chemicals go, ingesting plastic isn't good for animals anyway. I prefer to give edible chews like bully sticks, dried trachea, and dried beef tendons. Since I feed my GSD raw he also gets appropriate raw bones to chew.

·
Registered
439 Posts
How big are the pieces he's swallowing? Are you seeing the pieces he has swallowed in his poop? I'd say it's time for a new one, if he's torn it up so bad he's swallowing pieces. If you can get ahold of some beef bones, that may be a better alternative.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I no longer give my dogs my alone bones My last dog had tooth fractures and needed a root canal which ended up being the tooth was pulled

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
I don't give them for the same reason as they don't get femur bones. They need their teeth for a long time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I no longer give my dogs my alone bones My last dog had tooth fractures and needed a root canal which ended up being the tooth was pulled
Agreed. My previous GSD fractured two carnassial teeth while chewing on rawhide bones and had to have two extractions at age ten or so, not a happy experience. The dental vet said a lot of her business came from big dogs chewing on rawhide and other hard chewables like Nylabones.

Reactions: techinstructor

·
Registered
198 Posts
I gave Dasha Nylabones when she was a pup because she was such an aggressive chewer and did not like Kong's. She ended up breaking off the tips of all of her canine teeth and wore down the lower front teeth. I took them away when I discovered this and never gave them to her anymore. Now my pups only get good sturdy Kongs and if they get torn or worn I discard and give them new ones. It's expensive but gives them something to chew on. Mine love to chew on sticks when outdoors.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How big are the pieces he's swallowing? Are you seeing the pieces he has swallowed in his poop? I'd say it's time for a new one, if he's torn it up so bad he's swallowing pieces. If you can get ahold of some beef bones, that may be a better alternative.
I think the pieces he's swallowing are quite tiny. I never see them in his poop. I give him raw beef bones too whenever I get to find them from our local butchers. I think you're right that it's time to get rid of this nylon bone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts