German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duece, 4 months, has started chewing his leash. He usually always has one on even inside and he will not quit chewing/playing with it. I have tried redirecting him and it only lasts for a few seconds and he is back to playing with it. It is impossible to try and stop it as much as he does it especialy since he has it on 95% of the time he is out of his crate so is it ok to just ignore it or is ther something else I could try to get him to stop? Sometimes it seems the more I try to get him to stop the more riled up he gets.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Jesse's leash was only on inside the house when I wanted to keep him close to me (before four months) and if he went for it we said "no" and redirected him to a good chew toy. At four months he only has leashes on when going for a walk. At four months Duece is probably chewing because he is teething give him good chews.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My pup Shadow is 14 weeks old now, and just this last week has started "carrying" his leash on walks. He picks up a part of it in his mouth and it looks like he's walking himself. When he does, that I just tighten up the leash so that he has nothing extra to bite into. After a minute or so, he stops trying to get the leash He'd rather have the xtra six inches of wandering space then the leash in his mouth I guess

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I didn't believe anybody on this forum when they told me: My puppy WILL grow out of it. He totally did!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfI didn't believe anybody on this forum when they told me: My puppy WILL grow out of it. He totally did!
I was the same way. I posted about this problem, and was adviced to ignore it, not to correct it, as he would outgrow it. It took a while, but he outgrew it also. He used to chew on it ALL the time, and the more I tried to correct him, the more he wanted to chew on it. Now he very rarely mouths the leash, and I ignore it, and he usually drops it within a few seconds, since nothing happens...leash-chewing is boring for him, now, I guess.

Be patient - it drove me nuts when Kodee did this, and he is just now outgrowing it, and he's 10 months old now. Keep the faith!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
To save your leashes during iside the house puppy training, you can also spray them with a product like bitter apple. Not fun to chew on.

I would not wait for them to grow out of it, because it is your leash and not a toy. If they are playing with it on a walk, don't tug or pull on the leash. Too much like a game. First stop walking. Your dog won't like that since walking is fun. Tell your dog to sit, then take the leash from the mouth, even if you have to physically open your dog's mouth to do it.

As soon as the leash is free, start walking again and praise your dog. Be consistent - as soon as your dog begins to mouth the leash, tell him to sit, remove the leash, then resume the walk and praise.

It won't take long for your dog to learn the leash is yours and all fun stops if he abuses it.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the leash chewing. For a puppy I would get cheap leashes and save my good leashes for when puppy is older.

I had this problem with my 1 year old rescue who is 70+ lbs but came to me with the mentality and behavioural habits of a 3 month old (common with tied dogs that have had no training or interaction to be delayed in their development). She was too big to be grabbing the leash and pulling me all over, in a game of growly tug. The harsher I became with my corrections, the more loaded and hyped she became in her tugging game to the point that her intensity actually scared me. Since corrections weren't working, I changed tactics 180 degrees. As soon as she grabbed the leash, I stopped dead in my tracks, looked away, and withdrew my energy.
After a few seconds of confusion, she would drop the leash. Then I would turn to her and praise her calmly, to keep her calm. At first, the moment that I turned to look at her, she grabbed up the leash again, but then I would immediately turn away and tune her out.

It wasn't long before she figured it out.

Another thing that worked very well for leash behaviour is . . . compromise! She wanted to chew and tug on the leash, I did not, we were in a constant battle of wills. So we compromised. SOME leashes she was allowed to play with, others were strictly off limits. I'm not sure how she learned to differentiate, but she did. I also let her play tug with the Flexi, but she is only allowed to grab the lower tape part, never the cord part, and she has no problems with this either.

But it is up to you as to what kind of behaviours you expect from your puppy and set him up to succeed. Rewards for behaviours you want go further than corrections for behaviours you don't want, as I have found out the hard way. Be consistent, and have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts