German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is normal! I know this is normal! I know this is normal! But I'm going crazy with my 4month old chewing on everything. She's chewed up the wiring for the drip system. The base of my pergola. The hose. The drains. The drip system itself! What do I do???? I'm renting so I'd like to keep the repairs below $200 if possible!!!!

She has a nylabone, several KONG toys. Argh! Help. Do I just spray the whole back yard with bitter apple? Does that work? Do I crate her all day every day for a month?

HELP!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I tethered Uschi to me for almost a week- literally tied her leash to my belt loop. When she wasn't tied to me she was in her crate or supervised for play time, never left alone. I decided what she could chew on and when, sometimes she just had to lay quietly and not chew at all. It was such a pain but it worked like nothing else, within 2 days there was tremendous improvement. I didn't have a problem with her chewing just general wildness and lack of focus and bonding with me. But if you keep her under total control, let her know what she's allowed to chew and that you get to decide maybe the chewing everything in sight will stop. She needs to know that the whole world isn't hers to chew.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's in her crate right now with her nylabone but she's not chewing on it. Just napping.:rolleyes:

I'm still unclear as to how to get her to chew ONLY what I allow her to chew. Do I get her some raw bones to chew on and use the bitter apple around the backyard?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
They love to chew don't they? lol

I found mine would start to chew on various things when he was bored. So we had to be aware of this and take him out more or come up with games to play with him (hide & seek, etc.) a tired puppy=a happy puppy!

I also would not give him access to all of his toys, but would rotate the toys-which helped alot-they became new all over again.

Working on the "leave it" command worked and helped ALOT. And always rewards for dropping or not mouthing something.

Last but not least, the tough rule in our house is it's our fault if the puppy chews/destroys something-we should have had two eyes on him. I'm wearing a pair of shoes right now ($75.00 way over priced) that has teeth marks in them. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure boredom plays a part.

Thinking on it now, I'm pretty sure she starts chewing when we leave or I'm not downstairs and she's left alone in the yard. If either the boys or myself are downstairs she runs around and plays by herself or with one of us, or hangs out/sleeps next to the door. It's generally when I'm working upstairs or gone altogether that she chews. Most definitely I need to crate her when we leave now, but should I crate her even when I'm upstairs?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mia only destroyed a few items, a flip flop or two. Bella on the other hand seems to chew when we leave...and she was never crate trained, so we will be getting new furniture in both family room and living room, and repairing the stairs. Bella is nearing a year and just when we let down our guard she is at it again! Mia stopped distructive chewing at about 8 months.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm sure boredom plays a part.

Thinking on it now, I'm pretty sure she starts chewing when we leave or I'm not downstairs and she's left alone in the yard. If either the boys or myself are downstairs she runs around and plays by herself or with one of us, or hangs out/sleeps next to the door. It's generally when I'm working upstairs or gone altogether that she chews. Most definitely I need to crate her when we leave now, but should I crate her even when I'm upstairs?
I would say crate her when you cannot have two eyes on her. It's better for your sanity and alot safer for her!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I clickertrained her a lot and drained her mentally that she didn't want to chew on anything. Plus I went on long and many hikes and tired her out so much that she didn't have the nerve to chew on anything.

I always had Rawhide Bones around the house, Piggy Ears, Milk Bones and Bullsticks.

As soon as she started to chew on a shoe I gave her a carrot or a bullstick instead. Or I distracted her by doing some obedience and/or clickertraining.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Drop it/leave it are the best commands in the world for me and Ozzy right now. lol

If she's got a hold of something she shouldn't, just tell her to drop it if she knows the command, then give her something appropriate to chew on, or just take it from her and replace it with something she's allowed to.

And when you see her chewing something she's allowed to chew on, praise praise praise!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I feel very lucky. The whole time I have had Wolfie, he has never chewed a thing he wasn't supposed to. Granted, I am a stay at home Mom, so I am with him all day, and I keep a good eye on him. He is always in his crate when he can't be watched. I have always put a few things for him to chew in each area of the house that he is allowed in. Each room has a few bones, bully sticks, pig ears, toys, etc.. on the floor. He always went to those things when he wanted to chew.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts