German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kai seems to have just gone into a second chewing phase. Thankfully it is mostly bones which we provide often but he also seems to have developed a penchant for wood!! Basically anything wood including the skirting boards, being that he wasn't ever a really chewy pup I thought I had better ask around.

I was wondering if it's normal for dogs to start chewing again at this time - are the teeth settling in or something, or whether something else its going on!

Jayne

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yeah I think it is normal with GSDs Jesse teething hit at 4 months for about a month, then hit teething again at about 7.5 months still going a bit but I was told from a old breeder his back mollars would be coming in now and to expect another teething stage around 14 months to set jaw. My friend who has always had GSDs all her life said the same.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would keep up with the chew toys all his life, all my dogs all their life loved to chew and only chewed toys and nothing else in the house. The minute you take chews away they will look for something else to chew, black kong is great. That is about the only thing Jesse can't chew to pieces, and kong squeaky tennis balls he can't get into them either because they give. I tried real bones, but splinters broke off and that can be dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts