German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here
. I have a GSD puppy who is 6 mo old and loves toys (thank goodness), but she chews up most chew toys very quickly.

I had/have a few real bones and she likes these and they last, but are rather noisy on a hard wood floor. And she likes different toys than just bones all the time. We had a few rope toys and she liked those until they got to shredded and I had to take them away. And we have 1 Kong bone but she isn't too interested in it except when I put a treat in the ends of it.

She's also gotten in the habit of chewing toys to just tear them up and almost eat them. Like a stuffed toy can only be down for a little while when she is fully supervised or else she is chopping on an ear trying to eat it.

I guess what I would like is some advice on chew toys for her that will last a little while (longer than just a few days because of the costs of them). We're on a tight budget and I don't want to buy toys that wont last or wont be good for her, but yet I definatly want to have plenty of "appropriate" things for her to chew on, so she isn't trying on the coffee table or leather recliner

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If she likes stuffed animals, AKC makes some that are "indestructible". Well, they arent because my dogs have torn them up, but they are ALOT more durable and will last about a week or two before the tear them apart. For one dog, it will probobly last a lot longer, but my 4 will ech grab an end and play tug of war, so any toy in our house doesnt stand a chance! LOL

At 6 months, your pup is still teething. Try putting some peanut butter in the kong toy, and put it in the freezer. Her mouth is sore from the new teeth coming through, so freezing the toy will make her mouth feel better. You can also try making a tray of chicken flavored ice cubes (chicken broth frozen) and give them to him to lick to help sooth her mouth.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My dogs love the Cuz toys (click here) toys (Warning: extreme squeaky toy!
Until they kill it, that is) and the Orbee Earth Ball (click here) is their all time favorite... we have the largest one. It also smells like mint which is kind of cool!
When Patton was teething we froze carrots and gave those to him for a snack- he would go bonkers for them! And they wouldn't melt all over the floor! Have you tried any of the Nylabones? We have the plastic ones and our dogs really like to chew on those too... but they would be a noisy one on the floor! We have given up on soft toys because between the two of mine they last about 10 minutes...
Hope this helps... if not I could probably give you some more!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts