German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What chew toys do you allow your dogs to enjoy? I want to get something that will not chip or shave down the teeth if possible. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would strongly recommend Black Kong and Goughnut Extreme. They're €15-30 but so worth the money. For non-rubber, Benebone and Nylabone

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I never found good chewers that my dogs like. Instead, one has large Chuck It balls and the other gets rubber, chew proof frisbees. They could rip if you tug with them but mine chews on them a little and they don’t break. Ruff Dawg K9 Flyer. The junior size is nice for them to carry around.

We had some health risks from Nylabones and I won’t buy them anymore.

I just checked Amazon and people complained the frisbees rip. I’ve never had that problem but you take a chance with any toy you give a dog that is a heavy chewer.

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
Lamb horns or water buffalo horns. The problem with having chew toys is they will chew constantly. I think that is more the issue than what they are chewing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lamb horns or water buffalo horns. The problem with having chew toys is they will chew constantly. I think that is more the issue than what they are chewing.
I’m just looking for a little wind down at night. And my girl could use a little friction,idk if that’s the right word, on her teeth to help prevent plaque build up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,965 Posts
I like the lamb horns best. They smell terrible but they soften as they chew so less wear on the teeth while still getting the scrubbing action. Icelandic lamb horns. Water buffalo horns do the same thing but they are much thicker.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
My dog had so much upset stomach when he was young and I really think it had to do with the chews. Also he chipped some teeth on antler chews.

He loooved water buffalo horns but I feel sure those were a big contributer to stomach problems.

My dogs love benebones but chew them too hard and break off little pieces which then get swallowed. I mean tiny pieces. I think nyla bone used to have a thing on the label that said rice sized shavings were normal and would pass right thru them.

Well, the last time I bought my dogs a benebone my boy really went to town on it and had a terrible vomiting/diarrhea episode right after.

I've been giving them nothing but stuffed kongs and bully sticks for like a year now. No upset stomachs. Today I gave them a bigger trachea than they've had before...fingers crossed it doesn't make the boy sick. He is starting to get a little plaque so I have been experimenting with more/bigger chews hoping to clean is teeth better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts