German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are best recommended chewing options? We are 7 months old now here and chomping quickly through chew treats that would take much longer before.

we have tried:

Regular and braided sticks, bully rings - finishes them quickly
Tripe sticks - disappears in two seconds
Tracheas - devours them quickly
Water Buffalo horn - lost interest eventually
Antler - lost interest eventually
Kong stuffed with treats and peanut butter - not quite long lasting enough and he doesn’t chew just gets everything inside out with other means
Rib bones - he chewed off the entire top layer on the bone and is now breaking off pieces from the edges (they aren’t sharp but still worries me)
Bone marrow bone (tried the roasted ones)- crunches as much of the marrow as he can reach, then eventually loses interest

what else would be good and safe for him and may last longer than bully sticks and rings and tracheas but not so long lasting he loses interest like the antler etc? I like to have some options for when we go somewhere and I want him to settle down or when he’s in his crate and awake

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
We're 6.5 months old here and going through the same thing. Very big boy and a bigger chewer than my last two boys.

I've been giving all the same things that you've listed here and it's hit-or-miss of which one he'll be attracted to at any given moment. He will occasionally get in the mood for an antler, water buffalo horn, or moose antler section, but he'd usually prefer a choice that's more immediately consumable. I also occasionally give him one of the big hard Himalayan yak milk/cheese sticks which he loves and they're so hard that it doesn't disappear as fast as a bully stick does (so I take it away after awhile). I also occasionally give him one of the bigger Earth Animal No-Hide chews. He loves the peanut butter ones, but the other flavors make him race around the house, whining and trying to find a place to hide them for some reason. The weirdo.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
In my experience there's and inverse relationship to them liking the chew and the chew lasting.
For example, antlers and nylabones last a long time but my dogs aren't really into them much. They love bully sticks but are gone in 20 minutes.

The favorite is still meaty marrow bones. Give them and take them away and give them back; ends any potential resource guarding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my experience there's and inverse relationship to them liking the chew and the chew lasting.
For example, antlers and nylabones last a long time but my dogs aren't really into them much. They love bully sticks but are gone in 20 minutes.

The favorite is still meaty marrow bones. Give them and take them away and give them back; ends any potential resource guarding.
I have a couple that are frozen. Better to give frozen or thawed? I would assume I'd give it to him on a towel (too cold outside right now to sit out there and hang out and don't want want a mess all over inside), take away then what? store in fridge? until the next time. Once all the marrow is gone I have heard of a friend just stuffing with peanut butter.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
These.
Get the giant. He gets them for 20 minutes or so, then it goes in the freezer for next time.
I also like beef flexor tendons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts