German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Chemical Neutering, (Suprelorin)>
We have an 8 month old Shepherd who has started to give and receive unwanted attention with other dogs, at his doggie day care and out on walks. We want to avoid it developing into aggression, at the moment it tends just to be sniffing and over interest.

We are considering Chemical Neutering but are concerned that this may stunt his growth and develop joint issues and lack of muscle later in life. Has anyone got experience of neutering their German Shepherd at such a young age and if is, what were the issues if any late in their life.

Thank you all for your help,

Paul

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
GSDs are not good doggie daycare dogs.
And neutering won’t help.
I would wait until at least 2, for health reasons.

Reactions: Dethoziz

·
Registered
Clyde 6 months
46 Posts
Personally I avoid doggie day cares and dog parks all together... I just don't want to put my pup in a position where he can pick up some nasty bug and I feel dog parks are more for the parents, then the actual dogs. My pup gets more than enough attention at home from his family pack. I don't plan on neutering unless its medically necessary. If you have to neuter, definitely wait till hes 2 years of age

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Our rescue's vet says chemical neutering is EXTREMELY painful for the dog -- she won't do it. Her clinic neuters tons of dogs because she has many rescue clients, so if there were a better-faster-safer way to do it, she would. This is none of those things, in her opinion.

For 20 years, my dogs have been able to go to doggie day care, and have enjoyed it. I have dog-social dogs because I foster. However, I choose places with really outstanding staff, well-matched small social groups that put like-minded dogs together, with very restrictive admission policies based on the dogs evaluation (many dogs aren't allowed to go there because they don't enjoy it and/or don't do well). Those places are expensive because they take fewer dogs and invest in really excellent staff and pay them enough to keep them. I've toured many doggie day cares and said, "Nope."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts