German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has bothered me forever. I routinely shop at Walmart, and used to shop at Costco. Both stores check receipts and shopping bags. Costco does it always, Walmart is hit and miss. It does not bother me one bit, but I routinely see news stories about people getting really twisted about it.
My personal stance is that I have no issues with checking receipts and shopping bags/bins/boxes. Now if you ask to check my purse? Then we have an issue. As someone who worked a lot with LP divisions I am crystal clear on what they can and cannot do, and what they need to prove to do it.
Beyond that I am the one that will volunteer to open shopping bags and even seek employees out if I am leaving with higher ticket items. I have walked out of Walmart stores with tools, electronics, furniture and never been bothered. Buy dogfood though and they check every time. Lol.
Where do you all stand?

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I may have had a receipt checked at Christmas time but it's very rare. These people are just doing their jobs. Shoplifting raises the prices on all of us. They can check my bags and my receipt. They need warrant to check my purse and better have something on video to show me why they think they need too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Having worked retail for many years I whole-heartedly believe in checking receipts, especially on big ticket items and in stores where the register aren't directly in front of the entrance/exit doors. It can also ensure that you load the CORRECT item if you are assisting the customer. I've also been a receiver and having to deal with inventory inaccuracies and negatives because the other employees didn't check the receipts is a real pain in the behind.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I never really thought about it, so I guess it doesn't bother me. They do it at BestBuy too. Honestly, they kind of half-a$$ it and seem to just do it figuratively. Walmart on the other hand most likely needs to do this because of above average shop lifting. The Walmart's in my area are scary and sketchy. It takes a significant savings opportunity for me to step foot in a Walmart, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and go to Target, they don't check receipts there BTW.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It's because of the Wal-Martians, they are checking to see if they are from this planet as they are taking over...now bare in mind I am not saying you are a wal-martian...I'm just saying "I" have never ever ever been asked to open a bag or other.
As far as Costco (my fave store), they do this with everyone so no biggy :)

·
4,518 Posts
I saw some you tube videos this morning, a gentleman started explaining why we shouldn't have our receipts checked. It is like treating every customer as if they were a possible thief. I think of it like airline security, treating every passenger as if they were a potential terrorist. Sucks that the world is that way, guilty until proven innocent.

But it also isn't a battle I want to fall on my sword for.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
seems like kind of resent our Walmart will check a receipt and scan an item in the basket. Not sure what they are scanning for!
SAMs has always checked receipts, and once I had just a few items, she did a quick count and showed me they had charged me twice on two items! She sent me to the coustmer service desk and they refunded it! So that was a good catch for me! I usually try and watch what they're ringing up, but didn't that time I guess! The people that are at the door have worked there a long time and we kinda "know" them, so I appreciated that!

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
It doesn’t not bother me if is us something like a Costco or Walmart. I can understand it but over the weekend I bought this cute snowman the one I had a scratch a Christmas holiday nursery. It was such a special store. I said I would switch the snowman when walking out. Then a employee saw me pick it up and asked me for the receipt i said sure but It was not a feel good moment.I was not going to let it ruin my moment of feeling good though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I get people not liking it but I fully support stores doing it. There are people that will load their cart full of stuff and just walk out with it. Or they'll take bags and load items in the bags and then walk out with that. Shoplifting is a huge huge problem and so it makes sense for stores to try to prevent it as much as possible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I saw some you tube videos this morning, a gentleman started explaining why we shouldn't have our receipts checked. It is like treating every customer as if they were a possible thief. I think of it like airline security, treating every passenger as if they were a potential terrorist. Sucks that the world is that way, guilty until proven innocent.

But it also isn't a battle I want to fall on my sword for.
I worked at a farm supply store for 4 years and the reason we checked receipts for big ticket items and anything we helped load is because a lot of things such as types of wire fence, gates, posts, hay netting etc look EXTERMELY similar and all have different skus so we had to ensure that the proper item was loaded or our inventory would be off and it caused problems with future customers if the computer said we had it but physically we didn't because the wrong item was loaded for a different customer.

That said, we also had to initial the receipts because we had some people that would try to bring the receipt back again to get something when they had already gotten theirs. Thankfully those types of people were not very many and were quickly identified.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
At WM it's because of the self-checkouts -- supposedly 20% of the people who use them are engaging in some form of theft. This article is jaw-dropping:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/stealing-from-self-checkout/550940/

At Costco, it's more complicated. They're also checking to make sure people aren't forgetting to pick up their stuff from the service window (stamps, gift cards, jewelry, some electronics, etc.)--tons of people pay for that stuff at the checkout and then forget to go pick them up, apparently. I drive Costco door people crazy by bringing my own reusable bags and actually bagging it up, instead of dealing with their boxes--that makes it easy to load into my car but more time-consuming for them to count items.

In Louisiana and Texas, if they start checking purses they're going to find *a lot* of firearms in those bags owned by people with concealed carry permits. That's probably true of the Mountain West too. They probably don't want their employees fooling with that!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It doesn't bother me. They are just doing their jobs and would probably rather not have to do it at all. If more people were less dishonest than stores wouldn't have to worry about loss prevention this way.
I asked a Sam's Club receipt checker why they started scanning one item off the receipt when they checked. Was told it's so corporate can verify the checker is actually checking the receipt and not just willie nillie marking it like they often did. The system usually picks the most expensive item in your cart to be scanned but not always. Because they have to look for the item to scan they are more likely to count items, verify items, etc.
The employee said she hated the new system. Slowed down the exit when it was busy.

Pretty sure this is going to be a more common practice in other stores as self check outs and scan and go apps are becoming the norm for paying.

·
Registered
941 Posts
As a rule, that store staff check receipts is NBD and doesn't bother me at all. One amusing and one not so amusing observation, though: First, Costco employees vary WIDELY in how carefully they check those receipts, if at all. One guy that I regularly see is so busy checking out female customers, that I'm not sure he actually looks at the receipt. Generally, he's looking women over, chatting them up and only vaguely marking the receipt. SMH; great security.

Second observation is that whose bags/receipts are checked at Walmart consistently differs. I'm not a WallyWorld regular, but I have noticed that not everyone has their bags/receipts checked. More often than not it seems to be lower income, working class (looking) individuals/families that are stopped and surveyed. Middle income (looking) individuals sail through the exits with an impressive number of high ticket items in/outside of bags. That's not cool...

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Second observation is that whose bags/receipts are checked at Walmart consistently differs. I'm not a WallyWorld regular, but I have noticed that not everyone has their bags/receipts checked. More often than not it seems to be lower income, working class (looking) individuals/families that are stopped and surveyed. Middle income (looking) individuals sail through the exits with an impressive number of high ticket items in/outside of bags. That's not cool...

hmmm...I usually stop after work so in heels and dress clothes, and a mean look on my face because I've just dealt with the people of Walmart. I'll have to try going in my Saturday morning "I refuse to get dressed and be an adult" clothes.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have never left a Costco store without having the receipt checked, so no problem.

Wal-Mart? I have never ever had a receipt checked. So if it's selectively done, IMO that's somewhat stereotyping and not cool.

Best buy? Some check everyone and some don't, but I haven't noticed any "stereotyping" in their checking.

I think any store that does check "should" have VERY clear policies about how this checking is administered. And it shouldn't be done sporadically based on some employee's intuition...

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
As a rule, that store staff check receipts is NBD and doesn't bother me at all. One amusing and one not so amusing observation, though: First, Costco employees vary WIDELY in how carefully they check those receipts, if at all. One guy that I regularly see is so busy checking out female customers, that I'm not sure he actually looks at the receipt. Generally, he's looking women over, chatting them up and only vaguely marking the receipt. SMH; great security.

I HAVE to disagree with this. I have shopped at Walmarts in nearly every province. Standard clothing for me is shredded jeans, runners, oversized t-shirts that often have paint or body filler on them and a ball cap. Cool days find a ratty old hoodie added. I dress like a homeless person. I would stop me. It is rare for them to stop me at the door. My laptop, both TV's, patio furniture, generator, tools, house paint got barely a glance. I buy everything there. But I can promise that if you buy dogfood they will stop you.

I was just really curious why it seems such an issue for some. To my mind, if you have done nothing wrong then who cares.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I HAVE to disagree with this. I have shopped at Walmarts in nearly every province. Standard clothing for me is shredded jeans, runners, oversized t-shirts that often have paint or body filler on them and a ball cap. Cool days find a ratty old hoodie added. I dress like a homeless person. I would stop me. It is rare for them to stop me at the door. My laptop, both TV's, patio furniture, generator, tools, house paint got barely a glance. I buy everything there. But I can promise that if you buy dogfood they will stop you.

I was just really curious why it seems such an issue for some. To my mind, if you have done nothing wrong then who cares.

Sounds like you would have your receipt looked over, but you ain’t getting checked out and looked up and down by the Walmart creepy dude

·
Registered
941 Posts

If members of some groups experience being stopped more frequently than members of other groups based, apparently, solely on appearance that is arguably a different issue and one that transcends what one may/may not have done. After all, checkers at the exit aren't monitoring security cameras. That is when the practice becomes an "issue" for some folks and not a good one. Either everyone gets stopped or they don't. When that doesn't happen, we have to consider why that might be.

I also must confess that I've never been stopped at Walmart. (Costco stops everybody, though how thorough the checkers are is a different issue). I'm always waved through --- whether everything is bagged or not. Perhaps it's a difference in location (DC/US vs. Canada), perhaps it's a difference in how I carry myself or how I'm dressed, I dunno. But, if there's a line at the exit (as there often is), I see who gets stopped and their receipts checked, and who doesn't. It's telling and not in a good way.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Check all the receipts you want, does not bother me, however do not obscure the lights on the exit scanners please. Non-hearing folks are oblivious to the audible alarm and don't want to get tackled because an embedded security device failed to deactivate at the register.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts