German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than spending $100++ on a purpose built dog crate has anyone made one out of something cheap cheap ? I think I need 3 between work and home and I am looking at a large $5 plastic moulded oblong mesh laundry basket we have and thinking "all that needs is a door !" . Anyone done similar and have photos ?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok sorry more info ; I live in cambodia .No craigslist no pet shops nothing period the french vet sells crates and they are about twice the price what you pay . Alternatives ?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Sorry, didn't recognize the username (you should put your location in your info under User CP :poke: )

If you order online Amazon usually has free shipping on crates (not sure what it would be to Cambodia though) I've seen 48" for $80

Maybe your friends/family in the States could find a cheap one and ship it to you?

What about kid exercise pens?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Rather than spending $100++ on a purpose built dog crate has anyone made one out of something cheap cheap ? I think I need 3 between work and home and I am looking at a large $5 plastic moulded oblong mesh laundry basket we have and thinking "all that needs is a door !" . Anyone done similar and have photos ?
Be a HUGE help for all of us if you do as sagelfn suggested by going up top to your User CP and putting your location in. That way it will show up under your avatar (like my Pocono info) and we won't continue to say things like 'just go on Craigs List'. :wub:

That said, think you'll have to wander around your location and see if you can figure out what would be comparable. Do they have chicken cages or other set ups like that you can take a look at? Or you may end up just figuring out some kind of 'baby gate' type of penning up your pup to keep it safe. It's amazing how destructive some of these adorable little puppies can be.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Chain link fence? With the right parts you could size it down with a hacksaw and find latches and gates for it.
Or you could build a wooden box with the frame on the outside outside and (many!) holes drilled in it for air. I'd use holes as opposed to wooden bars because that way they can't find an edge to start gnawing on. I'd stay away from treated wood too but it sounds like that's probably not a problem in your location.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think it is hard to make a suggestion without knowing what resources are available to you. I think most people are use to being able to run down to a supply store that has everything imaginable available.

I would agree something like chain link would be helpful. Maybe with a wooden frame?

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Before we got our first puppy my father spent all this time building a crate. We got the puppy and he was out in five minutes and that was that-

·
Registered
849 Posts
fyi,
The poster does have khmer in his user name! That should be a huge clue to anyone responding to his threads.

If Karma is a chewer, which is likely (or a given), the plastic will not hold up for long.
Perhaps the vet may direct you to someone who bought a crate & no longer needs it? Maybe he'll let you leave a "wanted" sign up at his office? Otherwise I think you'll need to construct something sturdy & safe. Make it big enough for the adult she'll be, you can find some way to half it while she's little. If she has too much room, she may potty in the crate.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have had a really nice steel framed/mesh sided/tin roofed kennel made but it is a "set and forget type" that is too cumbersome to be moved ! It will be perfect when she is older, settled and independantly outside BUT I really need something now ! I found a khmer "petshop" selling wire 32" crates for $120 !! they are made in singapore And similar sized better quality ones are available on the bay for less than half that . We have a lot of material here but rather than making one I was interested in outside the square suggestions ;I) . I might just have to get a small steel mesh one made .

·
Registered
849 Posts
Some dogs respect a barrier and some don't. If I put up a small gate over a doorway, My GSD will understand I don't want her in the room, but Coco will realize it's easy to move it or go over it and does what she wants. You could try something creative, ie your laundry basket idea & see what happens. And the hard core chewing won't start until she's teething, so if it's for immediate but not long term use you may be okay with something less sturdy.
Just know if she escapes when unsupervised and wrecks the place that it was a bad idea, not a bad dog.
If you do fashion something out of the laundry basket, please post pics. I'm curious to see this thing. Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm not going to say it's impossible.

·
Registered
849 Posts
We're so addicted to crates now since they work so well. But I just remembered that when I trained my 1st GSD in 1980, I had no crate. I used the bathroom to confine her when unsupervised. The 1st time in, she chewed up all the toiletry bottles. Once I eliminated access to those, it worked fine.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just know if she escapes when unsupervised and wrecks the place that it was a bad idea, not a bad dog.
If you do fashion something out of the laundry basket, please post pics. I'm curious to see this thing. Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm not going to say it's impossible.
I like the cut of your jibe doggydog and I just love to invent ! will show anything I come up with for sure . And no - it will not be the pups fault if stuff gets destroyed because I did not contain her . **** - I am even just rolling my eyes at the inside steaming piles I miss and getting on with it .

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Karma is doing great thanks . Wait till I post some photos of the kennel I have just had custom made. It is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. It is in effect a crate but its too big to move around so it will be set out in the garden. I'll take some photos tonight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts