German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UB is 4.5 years old and loves to play ball-fetch in the house. We have long hallways down both sides of our LR and he'll chase that ball for hours. When I take him outside to play (trying to save the walls - but too late for that ) he won't fetch. He'll run to the ball, but acts like he doesn't know what to do with it. I call him back and he'll come, but leave the ball laying. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lorrie,

Thanks for this post! I am having the same problem with my 6 month pup! I will be interested in any suggestion also!!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You get farther than me, you can throw a ball by Neeko and it goes right past him, he has NO interest in it. Ive tried tennis, squeaky, you name it!!
He is 4 yrs old. the only thing he really likes to do is play with the hose, what a mess! He waits for me at the outside faucet to turn it on

Is UB a rescue dog? I am wondering if this a rescue dog thing? I didnt get him until he was 3 and half yrs old.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My two rescues could care less about playing ball when I got them, but I wanted dogs to play ball with. So I had my chuckit in hand and would fling the ball. I would run madly across the yard squealing happily (sounds like some kind of pig, but can't describe it any other way). I would retrieve my ball and do it all over again. I was having such a blast throwing and running after the ball (not, but it fooled them) that they began running to get the ball ahead of me. Then the problem was getting them to give it up. So I got more balls. I wouldn't throw again until they dropped the one we had. Now I have two German Retrievers that will chase down the ball and make some of the goofiest antics trying to get them.

Ranger Bear

Airborne River

Unfortunately, this DOES NOT work on huskies, they only want to play when it's their idea or when they can tear someone up....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope - UB isn't a rescue. My dilemma is why does he chase the ball all day long in the house and not outside? He is extremely driven for his ball (Cuz really). I can use a variety of them for training and he'll do anything for them. We play fetch for hours in the house. As soon as we go outside, he refuses to play. Maybe he prefers the AC/heat!

·
Registered
56 Posts
How about catch? Instead of throwing past the dog, you throw the ball to him.

Our puppy loves catch almost as much (sometimes even more) than fetch. Of course, she also likes to try to leap after birds flying over her head. I think catch mimics jumping up to catch a flushed bird.

I'd try a game of catch outside and see if that gets her into the ball. After she catches a few times, then try to throw it.

Here's a video of my son playing with our dog. The first couple of seconds we're working on recall by calling her back and forth across the field. About half way through you can watch them play catch. We also play with at least two balls. You don't throw the second ball unless the first one gets returned to you.

We use "bring it" which means bring and DROP the ball.

http://web.mac.com/rjpcbean/iWeb/Site%203/Lucky%20Dog.html

(I posted this awhile ago in the pics section!)

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Maybe for some reason he is more used to/conditioned to playing ball in the house and just not outside? Allie will play ball all day outside, but not inside, which is good for us! But I guess she sortof just learned that we do not play inside like that.

So, maybe UB has just become so accustomed to inside that he will not do it as much outside..? just a guess.. or maybe he really prefers it inside, or something about the long hallway... or he could be distracted by all the things that are outside, vs. the fairly stable environment of inside?

Have you tried playing with two balls at once? If he loves his cuz's alot, make sure you have two, go outside when he is full of energy and throw one of the cuz's then when he gets it and returns and drops it, throw the next. He will learn that the next one does not get thrown until he brings the first back...

good luck..sometimes I think I will never figure out why my dogs do some of the things they do?!?!? It is just who they are!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts