German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 18 week old puppy started chasing his tail about a week ago, shortly after visiting the vet and getting a shot. He is hard to distract from this. Filling a treat ball and showing it too him does not even work sometimes, and he is very food motivated.
Had the vet drain anal glands, which were pretty full, but this had no effect on the tail chasing.
He's not a really active puppy so we have gotten a bit lazy exercising him so we have now upped the exercise (mostly playing fetch outside or in our large basement, or hiding food or using treat balls, and of course training)
We have found something that stops it last night. If we put him in his room (the mud room with a baby gate across the opening) he just lays by the gate and stops. Once we let him out, he may chase again, but after a couple times he is sure to stop for quite a while.
He also likes to chase the dust particles that show when the sun shines through the sliding glass door. Wondering if this aggravates the problem (maybe this is similar to chasing laser pointers - which I heard can encourage tail chasing).
Wondering what opinions are on why he's doing it. :confused:
I am thankful for this forum because I would not have been so bent on changing this behavior had I not read how out of control it could become.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
What you describe are all are OCD behaviors - tail chasing and chasing spots of light (or in his case dust reflecting light). I would suggest seeking out a veterinary behaviorist. These things often get worse and worse as time goes on. You really need a firm behavior modification plan and maybe even short term behavioral drugs to try to break the cycle before it becomes more ingrained.

Also I'm not sure if this is still going on but if it is, it would be worth while to participate: http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...7-participants-needed-gsd-behavior-study.html

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Do you have her chase a laser pointer light? That often precipitates this type of OCD behaviour, especially the light and shadow chasing. To tire her out, have her chase a ball or other toy, something she can actually catch!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I too discovered that the laser light was the pre-curser to Timbers tail chasing.
The only thing I have to do is distract him though. He LOVES ice, so I will grab his attention with a toy or I will grab him and start loving on him then I ask if you wants ICE???
I know it doesnt make it go away but so far thats what is partially working for us.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Do you have her chase a laser pointer light? That often precipitates this type of OCD behaviour, especially the light and shadow chasing. To tire her out, have her chase a ball or other toy, something she can actually catch!
Great advice. Anyone who has their dog chasing laser lights should be put in a crate for a time out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts