German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,i need help to figure out how to stop him chasing and chewing on his tail,he is 4 years old but never really went on walks,parks,exercises,socialization he never really had that kind of activities,he was mostly with my parents and younger brother but they didnt do much exept feeding and petting him.
Now i have a lot of time for him,a few days ago i really started going on walks,playing,feeding him and everything. And he even stoped chasing his tail most of the time, BUT now and then i still see him chasing it after we get home from a walk. I dont think its a health issue i really think its just a lack of attention,exercise and boredome.
Please guys write me what do you think i should do? Just continue walking,giving attention to him so it will stop or ???
D6AF26A6-C523-4EC4-8158-49C62644425A.jpeg

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
It sounds primarily like a lack of exercise and boredom, probably some stress and anxiety too. Exercise is a real good start. Tiring him out physically will not only burn off some energy, it will reduce his anxiety. I would also start distracting him when he starts chasing his tail. You might want to start some obedience training but I would focus on an incompatible behavior, one where he can't chase his tail when performing the behavior, and start replacing the undesired behavior with something else such as nosework or find an object. He has practiced bad behavior for a long time. Be patient, this is doable but it won't happen overnight.

Reactions: Johnny K

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds primarily like a lack of exercise and boredom, probably some stress and anxiety too. Exercise is a real good start. Tiring him out physically will not only burn off some energy, it will reduce his anxiety. I would also start distracting him when he starts chasing his tail. You might want to start some obedience training but I would focus on an incompatible behavior, one where he can't chase his tail when performing the behavior, and start replacing the undesired behavior with something else such as nosework or find an object. He has practiced bad behavior for a long time. Be patient, this is doable but it won't happen overnight.
Thank you so much ! Your 100% right.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Thank you so much ! Your 100% right.
It's not that easy. Things are more complex. Come back and ask questions so the members here can help you. Is this your first dog?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not that easy. Things are more complex. Come back and ask questions so the members here can help you. Is this your first dog?
Well my family had german shepherd since i can remember,its like a tradition so im a little familiar with the breed, But yea,first dog that I own.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Well my family had german shepherd since i can remember,its like a tradition so im a little familiar with the breed, But yea,first dog that I own.
Then you have come to the right place. This is a good place to share about your handsome boy and to learn about this breed, training, health and other good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
2 ball, flirt pole, proper tug, recall training, bring me a toy and we will play!

Make yourself much more fun than chewing on a boring tail.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
All the above. Maybe support it with anti anxiety meds that won't slow his drive or make him sleepy. This is dependent on the severity of the behavior if the increased training and exercise doesn't help after several weeks. Temporary meds can help break him out of this cycle faster. Thank you for stepping up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the above. Maybe support it with anti anxiety meds that won't slow his drive or make him sleepy. This is dependent on the severity of the behavior if the increased training and exercise doesn't help after several weeks. Temporary meds can help break him out of this cycle faster. Thank you for stepping up.
Yea i taught about the pils too. I put some pictures up did you see it ? Is it severe ?

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Yea i taught about the pils too. I put some pictures up did you see it ? Is it severe ?
Medication is an excellent option but should not be used as a first resort unless the dog or others are in danger. Medication will not fix the problem but it may be a tool to consider in the future if more basic options, along with patience and persistence, are not working. Even then, it should be used in conjunction with the options above or in addition to some other methods.

Reactions: Johnny K

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He still has plenty of hair on his tail. You could keep a log and write down when he does it to maybe see a pattern. Also mention how much exercise he had, meals etc. before he does it. As soon as you see him even look at his tail you can say "Leave it" and ask where his toy is too distract him

1 - 12 of 12 Posts