German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I recently adopted a rescue female WGSD/Husky mix. She was a stray and she can be a little skittish. Before i adopted her we introduced her to my cat and she didn't really seem to care but now that i have her she has started chasing him. I've only had her for 4 days so far so she's still decompressing and all that but i want to get her on the right path to respecting him.

They can be in the same room together. She's sniffed him twice but if he runs from her she'll chase, of course. I'm working on her "leave it" but she also doesn't listen very well in general. Not sure if it's cuz she's new or cuz i haven't established myself as the pack leader yet. She's also pretty stubborn to training in general because she won't listen to me unless i have a treat in hand. As far as obedience she pretty much has none which is what I'm currently working on with her and i have a trainer to start working with me on Tuesday.

She will focus on the cat but i can get her attention off him maybe 50% of the time? She also just seems really playful with him but i really don't want to take my chances cuz i know she can kill him. I have her leashed to me at all times when kitty is out so i can manage her.

I'm not sure how high her prey drive really is. She chooses when she's interested in playing fetch but she kill shakes her toys REALLY hard. I'm also not sure of her age. Shelter thought she was like 4 but she seems younger to me.

Anyway i would appreciate advice and success stories. I tried asking in training groups on Facebook but they all told me her breed is too impossible to work with in that aspect. I really don't want to give up on her since she was in her shelter longer than the other dogs there and anyone they introduced her to before me and my husband she just was too skittish with. I know i can't expect them to be besties but i would like her to at least respect the cat so they can co exist in one household.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
I'll suggest that first you do some reading about huskies/northern breeds temperments.Genetically they tend to be independent and not very biddable. GSDs tend to be the total opposite, biddable and wanting to please you. As you get to understand which temperment traits are strongest in this particular dog,then you can strategize how to guide her.
I have a husky/hound mix, speaking of not being biddable, lol!The key to her becoming an outstanding companion was consistently making it not worth her effort to misbehave.She is the dog that every visitor to our home wants to take home with them.She practically has a halo above her head.Demanding anything from her gets us nowhere, but she can be outsmarted.

The trainer hopefully can help you with the cat.You may never feel comfortable leaving them together unsupervised. But it is very possible to establish a peaceable household by not allowing interaction when your dog is excited. It takes time and patience:)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
She should be wearing a leash indoors for now so that you can stop/correct ANY overt attention to the cat. Don't let her fixate. Work on impulse games and perhaps LAT training (look it up). I would have baby gates or other barriers to insure that the dog can't get up steam if she happens to not get interrupted before she can go into chase mode.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
They can be trained even in details/context.

Mine will chase wild rabbits in the woods/field but have been trained to "leave it" for bunnies in the yard. We have a bunny nest in a garden the center of of yard (not the first time that momma rabbit thinks this is the perfect spot for some reason) and they are interested in the smell but won't enter the garden or chase them on the grass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts