German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 mo old workingline gsd is constantly trying to chase and bark at my cat somewhat aggressively. It has gotten to the point that our cat practically lives in our bedroom (which is so unfair for her). When my dog is in his crate, he constantly barks at my cat when she is just roaming around. If he is out of the crate and we forget to close the bedroom door or she is out roaming, he chases her and barks aggressively. It can be scary at times. I have tried to expose him to the cat woth his leash on and give him treats and try to calm him down but he is relentless and hyperfocuses on her. He is otherwise a GREAT dog but his prey drive is insane. Any tips and tricks will be super thankful. I want them to be able to live together in peace.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My girl is also completely unsafe around cats. Luckily we don't own any but we have many strays around the house. My dog goes into meltdown if she sees one.

I have been trying to work on it for some time. Corrections only amp her up. I have had some success with the clicker (if I can get her attention for a nanosecond). I am currently researching the 'look at that' technique which I will implement this week. @JunoVonNarnia suggested it to me.

Otherwise (or while your training) it's about management. Use some baby gates to keep an area off bounds to your dog that your cat can relax in and escape to if needed. Leash your dog in the house.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
5,371 Posts
It makes me whistful when I see photos of GSDs and cats together. It can be done. I don't know how. It didn't help that we lived with a cat that didn't like our Big-boy. He never hurt the cat but they did have skirmishes and with the size difference it was only a matter of time before the cat could get hurt. We had to manage the cats and dogs to keep them apart.
I've had dogs and cats that were buddies, so I wonder if it is the personality of the animals that made it so difficult rather than my techniques to encourage peace.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I guess I did not take the cookie approach with my cat and puppy. I made it VERY clear from the beginning that the cat was mine and he wasn't allowed to chase her or hyperfocus on her. I kept a drag line on him for a while and also baby gated the house so that the dog was confined to an area close to me where I was better able to monitor him. We worked on impulse control games (good for many things, not just cats) and obedience ... "leave it" is a great tool and easy to work on in a way that doesn't involve the cat as the 'leave it' object.

We had a couple of come to Jesus meetings as well (strong, firm corrections). Cats in the household have as many rights as the dog, sometimes more rights given their smaller size and seniority in the house (my cat is 10 and my GSD will be 8 next month).

It took a while, but now I completely trust Varik to not intentionally hurt Sienna and haven't worried about him in years. He loves her dearly and she loves him ...some days. Other days she lets him know he's out of line by biting his ear (she learned a few years ago that that is the only way she can hurt him and she uses it like a sadist). I love cats .. LOL.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dog acts exactly as you've described with my cat, too. I tried correcting him for giving her "the stare" but it goes like this: dog stares, I correct, dog looks away for a split second to see what I want, dog stares, I correct, dog looks away for a split second, dog stares... And that's if he's on leash and not yodeling his head off in frustration. My cat isn't having it anymore - she makes herself scarce if he's around and is certainly not about to volunteer to be a training tool in any way.

There was the Lou Castle crittering method someone posted on a previous thread that I suspect would work to get the dog to stop fixating/chasing the cat. However, I haven't figured out how to get my cat to cooperate (she won't move at all if she's wearing a harness) and it's a two person job.

So for now, I've got a baby gate set up to keep the dog on one end of the house and allow the cat free range of the other end of the house.

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
It can be done, but from the beginning, you cannot let the dog chase the cat.

Ever. And treats need to be combined with corrections. Sometimes it will be tough, but it has to be clear to the dog that the cat is off limits.

Rolf has not gotten to this stage yet, but now he brings the cat the ball😂
It takes a lot of training, consistency, and patience.

Reactions: Biscuit

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I agree that it's important that the dog NEVER chases the cat(s) because that ruins (or at least sets back) any potential success with them getting along. But much depends on the cat's personality and how brave and/or tolerant it is. Our 12 year old tabby Goosey loved our last GSD and they played and napped together, so I think that helped set the stage for her not being completely horrified about our new pup, Luca. Luca has been hard for her to accept, though, because he's so huge and boisterous. But it's finally working out fairly well. He tends to get rough and overly excited with her, so I make him stay in a down position when they're interacting. He still insists on trying to sniff her butt and belly, but he can't jump on her and hurt or scare her as easily in a down stay. She gets playful with him now, patting his nose and paws when he's trying to sniff her. I think they'll eventually be friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts