German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suburban neighborhood. 7am walk and a fox crosses the road about 2 houses ahead. I stop to let him get across and away. But Z also spotted him and started with howling/whining. The fox (def full grown and very pretty) paused in the middle of the road, then started trotting towards us. With some difficulty I turned Z and we ran away from the trotting fox. After a couple of houses the fox cut in to a yard and was gone. I was amazed and a bit frightened that a fox would want to chase a german shepherd dog. Home safe and think I will walk a bit later tomorrow:)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Not that I would allow this to happen, but I've seen numerous accounts of fox taking a liking to dogs((most of them GSDs) and actually playing with them. The videos some have gotten are amazing.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Rabid? I don't believe that is normal behavior unless someone has been feeding him.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wild foxes can be surprising friendly and are generally un-afraid. They really don't have any natural predators and depending on your area they might not have any competition for hunting so.... What would they be afraid of?

I wouldn't let him get close either. But he was probably just curious and investigating the weird noises your dog was making.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
If it just trots along behind you at a good little distance, it is probably just curious and it is very likely someone has been feeding it.
Where I work, last spring, a mama fox raised 4 babies and I helped feed them by leaving dogfood, dog biscuits, etc. in a certain spot near their den and eventually they all got used to me. The babies might see me and run back to the den and linger around the opening to it, but mama fox seemed to understand that I wasn't a threat and I could get within about 10 feet of her.
A couple of days ago, I was walking Hans and you know how you can sense someone or something is watching you?
I looked to the left in a field and a fox was watching us. I'm not sure how he missed the fox :rolleyes: but he didn't see it, so I heeled him around in the opposite direction and looked behind me and the fox was trotting along behind us.
I think it was either the mama fox from last spring or one of the babies from that litter!
Foxes tend to stay on the edge of urban areas to keep from getting killed by coyotes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I like the 'curious' fox explanation! He/she did not look sick or odd acting but Z has such a strong prey drive I just don't want to be pulled down.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My bosses son has taken some pretty awesome pictures of the fox that stays by them. Such a beautiful creature and very curious.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
If it just trots along behind you at a good little distance, it is probably just curious and it is very likely someone has been feeding it.
Where I work, last spring, a mama fox raised 4 babies and I helped feed them by leaving dogfood, dog biscuits, etc. in a certain spot near their den and eventually they all got used to me. The babies might see me and run back to the den and linger around the opening to it, but mama fox seemed to understand that I wasn't a threat and I could get within about 10 feet of her.
A couple of days ago, I was walking Hans and you know how you can sense someone or something is watching you?
I looked to the left in a field and a fox was watching us. I'm not sure how he missed the fox :rolleyes: but he didn't see it, so I heeled him around in the opposite direction and looked behind me and the fox was trotting along behind us.
I think it was either the mama fox from last spring or one of the babies from that litter!
Foxes tend to stay on the edge of urban areas to keep from getting killed by coyotes.
Feeding wildlife most likely is their death sentence as they lose their fear of humans and not everyone appreciates wild animals. They cannot be relocated but F&W will probably "take care" of them. So you didn't help them with feeding but actually are crippling them. I hope you can appreciate their wildness by leaving them wild. You think that dog food was a better diet than what they catch in the wild?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Well, frankly, my dog food was NOT better than what mama caught, but a bit better than what some of the workers (not mine) were tossing over to them from their lunch boxes or McDonald's sacks.
Seriously, the only improvement I saw from feeding them was the runt actually got to eat something (I know, maybe he wasn't meant to live) and I didn't have to dodge walking on putrid rabbit parts, raccoon heads etc. as much.
One day I was working and could not keep these flies from buzzing around me. I looked down and my foot was about 1/2 inch from some kind of guts. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts