German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on our morning walk, Maggie surprised a cat in the hedge of an empty house. I told her leave it, & we went on our way.

This cat came out of the hedge & started "stalking" us. We stopped to face him down, but he kept after us, until I got a bit worried. To my mind, this is NOT "normal cat behavior" & rabies actually crossed my mind.

He was a big gray tabby, not that it really matters, but maybe there is such a thing as a cat who's a fearless bully ??? He was really threatening.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Probably not rabies, but you never know! So why take the chance.

With my previous dog, we were walking up a street one day and encountered a whole herd of cats. The leader came right at my dog! So we beet feet in the opposite direction.

Is it normal? I'd say with some cats yes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our big boy got chased by cat before lol. My daughter was at her cousins house with him and one of the mama barn cats went after him when they got too close to where her kittens were being kept.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Every morning my cat Katy deliberately taunts my boy Coal. Coal will chase her and I'll have Coal come and sit down. Then she deliberately comes over and taunts him. Even when he snaps at her she always stands her ground. She's crazy. I could see her be one to chase a strange dog.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bear - 6 month old GSD male plus 5 cats - Benny (5), Nani (5), Kingston (5), Rigby (3) and Hazel (2)
164 Posts
Perfectly normal from an alpha cat. I have 5 cats and my big grey tabby is the alpha. He will show Bear no mercy. Chases him out of rooms daily! I've never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Willow and I were approached by a super friendly cat last week, and Willow was petrified--the cat actually chased her around for a minute or so while I, being the thoughtful, responsible owner that I am, laughed my butt off.

ACTUALLY (yes I did laugh a little), I was concerned about the cat being a starving stray. It was SUPER friendly, and I think that was it--just friendly and wanted to love everybody (and every dog) it met. It wasn't being aggressive at all. A neighboring cat was hissing and arching its back at it, while this cat just stood there like, "I WANNA BE YOUR FRIEND". I had never seen it in that area before. I was considering taking it to the animal shelter (I thought it was really too skinny) but then a guy came out of the house and said it was his cat and that yes, she was very very friendly.

So yeah, I guess it happens and doesn't necessarily mean rabies, but good call on watching out for strange behavior. If, say, a raccoon or fox acted that way, I'd be freaked out about rabies for sure.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Cats are evil;)
I've had a skunk chase my dog 50 yards down the driveway years ago, I assume some baby skunks were near by.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The most likely answer to me is young kittens nearby. I doubt it was rabies. It sounds like you were followed. Stalking behavior doesn’t necessarily mean hunting or ready to attack. It just means the cat doesn’t want to be seen. If there weren’t kittens around I would bet that cat ran if you charged.

·
Registered
358 Posts
With the GSD we had before the current two, there was one cat who would stand his ground . . . for a while. He'd kind of stand in the middle of the street like the showdown at the OK Corral. But although he was a big male cat with an attitude, when he saw our dog just keep coming, doing the inch-worm straining against the lead, he inevitably ducked under the nearest car.

On the other hand, same dog lived with a cat in the house for all of her days with us. And at the shelter where we got her, a tough cat named "Mr. Fred" had the run of the place and was reputedly unafraid of dogs, and had some dogs afraid of him. Our cat kind of resembled "Mr. Fred," so when we got her home the first time, she did a double-take, like, "I did not think Mr. Fred was coming with us."

As to strange behavior, both my wife and I on separate walks have had the dogs encounter a squirrel who acts oddly. Most squirrels flush 10-20' up a tree when they see the dogs coming. And the current two are dedicated squirrel flushers, who track their progress up the tree, along any wires, etc. This particular squirrel goes maybe three feet up the tree, then turns and looks at them. Same exact place, so we think its the same squirrel. We check the leashes and keep 'em away, not knowing whether he is diseased or just an oddly confident squirrel.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
My rabbit, Oreo, used to chase my GSD, Annie. Annie was terrified of Oreo. Now that was funny. May they both RIP. Miss you guys.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
We had a feisty Siamese who would not back down from a dog but the guinea pigs scared her and the little critters chased her until she jumped on a chair, looking down with a disapproving look.
Once while biking with my dog, a cat jumped on his back from under a truck. It was super scary and he had to run for his life. I don't blame dog for hating cats.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Willow and I were approached by a super friendly cat last week, and Willow was petrified--the cat actually chased her around for a minute or so while I, being the thoughtful, responsible owner that I am, laughed my butt off.

ACTUALLY (yes I did laugh a little), I was concerned about the cat being a starving stray. It was SUPER friendly, and I think that was it--just friendly and wanted to love everybody (and every dog) it met. It wasn't being aggressive at all. A neighboring cat was hissing and arching its back at it, while this cat just stood there like, "I WANNA BE YOUR FRIEND". I had never seen it in that area before. I was considering taking it to the animal shelter (I thought it was really too skinny) but then a guy came out of the house and said it was his cat and that yes, she was very very friendly.

So yeah, I guess it happens and doesn't necessarily mean rabies, but good call on watching out for strange behavior. If, say, a raccoon or fox acted that way, I'd be freaked out about rabies for sure.
I forgot to mention this cat was arching his back continually. The mention of kittens is probably on the money, because this lot would be a perfect place to hide them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Our neighbor used to have a cat that would sit at the end of their driveway most days. A friendly cat, and she never moved when Dexter and I walked by even though we were about a foot away from her. It was good practice for Dexter to learn how to ignore her.

On Mondays she used to sit on their trash can by the road, and she never strayed further from the house. Cats can be a bit “crazy”. I love cats, but unfortunately I’m the only person in my house who feels that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The most likely answer to me is young kittens nearby. I doubt it was rabies. It sounds like you were followed. Stalking behavior doesn’t necessarily mean hunting or ready to attack. It just means the cat doesn’t want to be seen. If there weren’t kittens around I would bet that cat ran if you charged.
We did try to charge the cat, but there was no running away in this cat at this time. I'm thinking kittens is the answer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We did try to charge the cat, but there was no running away in this cat at this time. I'm thinking kittens is the answer.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Not sure why we're not OK with people letting their dogs run loose but people let their friendly/unfriendly cats harass other pets/kill squirrels/birds, become coyote food etc.....runs for cover
There aren't leash laws or containment requirements for cats. We know you don't like cats ... you mention it every time it comes up in a thread.

I wouldn't 'charge' a small furry animal ... what are you going to do .. let your dog kill it? What if it went ahead and attacked and was diseased. Best to try to vacate the area safely.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There aren't leash laws or containment requirements for cats. We know you don't like cats ... you mention it every time it comes up in a thread.

I wouldn't 'charge' a small furry animal ... what are you going to do .. let your dog kill it? What if it went ahead and attacked and was diseased. Best to try to vacate the area safely.
I don't dislike cats, did I mention cats are evil? All in fun!

·
Registered
556 Posts
We have two cats that will chase and attack the dogs. They're nuts and before we started crating and rotating to avoid fights, the frickin cats would join in the fights! Some are just off their rocker crazy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts