German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received this cross post today. If you can help please contact the Vet below.
To anyone with a love for German Shephards,

I hope this email finds someone who may be able to lend help or advice. I am a veterinarian that just moved to Charlotte, NC in the past 2 months. I was presented yesterday with a 1.5yr full blooded intact male GSD to euthanize. The history was not well communicated, but this is what I do know: The owner (a 20ish year old boy) was presenting Charlie for euthanasia due to simply finances. Charlie was brought to the clinic as a puppy and vaccinated here within reason. At 6 months of age, he began regurgitating food infrequently. Since then, Charlie has had a history of wt loss, regurgitation and some diarrhea from what I could gather on limited owner info. O declined any type of work up. He only wanted to wash his hands of him. He would not even try taking him to the humane society b/c they require a fee to reliquish. So, as the story goes, Charlie's ownership was transferred to myself.

At our hospital, we updated his rabies vaccine (3yr) and took radiographs of thorax and abdomen. Charlie has congenital megaesophagus. It will be a lifelong problem with a poor prognosis at best. Most dogs in his situation are euthanised b/c owners don't want to deal the potential complications (aspiration pneumonia, poor body condition). I realized that euthanasia is still a real option for Charlie, but I am hopeful that someone may be willing to take a chance on his care. He is physically in good shape other than the fact that he is extremely underweight (currently 45lb, BCS 2/5). There is no evidence of aspiration pneumonia at this time. I have started hand feeding him, elevated, puppy food and he is holding this down over the past 24 hrs. He has not had a problem drinking water. If you know of, or can direct me to, anyone who is interested in learning more about him I would be grateful. I am unable to keep him myself. He is a VERY sweet dog and deserves a chance.

Please feel free to contact me via email or phone 954-558-2510.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I can send a picture if necessary:)

-Dr. Kimberly Fanning
Charlotte, NC

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Sweet little boy - hope there is a home for him out there.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts