German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I wanted to ask whether the Chappie food is good for dogs, as my dog has had a problem with his stools for a very long time, since we had him. And somehow chappie has made his stools alot firmer.
I've had lots of views about chappie about how it can cause a problem in the ear, due to yeast.
So in two minds about giving him this food.
Any advice
Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Up until the end of last year I used to feed my 16 year old mixed breed dog the chappie wet canned food she did well on it any no problems at all, other food would upset her digestive system.
if it's the only food that's working for your dog right now then I would say stick with it.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Hi Ren!
Is this what you are feeding? If not, can you list the ingredients? The internet doesn't list everything.

Chappie Complete Dry Dog Food for Adult Dogs with Chicken and Wholegrain Cereal
Cereals (including 4% Whole Wheat) WHICH CEREALS???
Meat and Animal Derivatives (including 4% Chicken) WHAT ANIMALS AND MEAT??? THESE SHOULD ALL BE NAMED! I would not buy a food without the EXACT names of meats used!
Oils and Fats WHAT OILS AND FATS????
Minerals
Derivatives of Vegetable Origin WHAT DERIVATIVES OF VEGETABLES????
Antioxidants

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cheap food in a tin.
No, I would not feed it to a dog as their regular diet.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up until the end of last year I used to feed my 16 year old mixed breed dog the chappie wet canned food she did well on it any no problems at all, other food would upset her digestive system.
if it's the only food that's working for your dog right now then I would say stick with it.
Yeah
And I mean even his personality changes too for the better. Not that his personality is bad, it's not. But sometimes you can differ between personalities in your dogs. And I see a better personality in my dog with chappie

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah
And I mean even his personality changes too for the better. Not that his personality is bad, it's not. But sometimes you can differ between personalities in your dogs. And I see a better personality in my dog with chappie
Well if he's feeling better in himself I think it would show in his personality, as others have said it's definitely a poor dog food but if needs must,
my old girl was 16 and at the end of her life it was literally the only food that didn't make her vomit or get dioreha I don't think I would want to feed it long term,
Maybe you could very slowly add a higher quality food over a period of time maybe try a dry food I see you are in the uk like me..
I'm currently feeding wellness core but before that it was Arden Grange my GSD dog does well on both.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I surfed the net a little and came up with these higher quality foods from your country:

Barking Heads & Meowing Heads
Ingredients:
Chop Lickin Lamb: Composition: 51%* Lamb includes - Lamb *(32%), Dried Lamb (made with 100% natural grass-fed lamb) *(19%), Brown Rice (16%), Oats, White Rice, Peas (5%), Lamb Fat, Trout, Lucerne, Salmon Oil, Seaweed, Glucosamine 355mg/kg, Methylsulfonylmethane 355mg/kg, Chondroitin Sulphate 250mg/kg, Tomato, Mixed Herbs (Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Parsley) (0.4%), Minerals. FREE FROM artificial colours, flavours & preservatives

Dry Dog Food | For Small and Medium Breeds | Scrumbles
Ingredients:
Scrumbles Chicken Dry Food: 60% Chicken (33% Freshly Prepared Chicken, 23% Dehydrated Chicken, 2.8% Chicken Fat, 1.4% Chicken Liver), 19% Brown Rice, 13.5% Oats, 3.6% Alfalfa, 1.4% Salmon Oil, 0.7% Linseed, Minerals, Vitamins, 0.4% Dried Carrot, 395 kcal/100g. Natural ingredients including 60% human grade, free-run chicken and added probiotics.

If you do change foods:
Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change eventually transitioning out the old food.
If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts