German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here we go. Deja is in heat and absolutely an airhead and completely ADHD. This combined with Griff who is hitting adolescence and has started to notice the wonderful scent of doggy heat. It is only day 7 of the heat and they will have to be separated 100%. I am rethinking 'keeping Deja intact'.
The most difficult part is having to enforce the obedience as I cannot sit back and wait until this chaos is over while I know that it is all so 'hormonal' which, I just realized, has even the word 'normal' in it ':grin2: How is this possible?
Advice keeping them active and separated (thank heavens for the outdoor kennel). Deja stays at home and Griff gets to go out every day. For me: trying to stay sane and on track, not feeling any regret about adding this awesome pup :rolleyes: but keeping the larger picture in mind. I am sure I am not the only one here. Right? Go ahead and smile ;)

·
Registered
813 Posts
My cattle dog always got so wierd and annoying when in heat. It made my shepherd very uncomfortable when the cattle dog was in heat. We spayed her though as we are bringing in a male pup and did not want any issues.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I totally understand the want to keep a dog intact. It's just natural. You're a stronger person than me, though. I don't think I could, or would want to try managing an intact female, and a male. I feel like it's not fair to one of them. Unless you're able to spend similar amounts of time with them separated then one of them is getting the short stick. It just seems like more stress than it may be worth, but that's ultimately up to you, and knowing what you can handle, and want to handle.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently I don't have any other option than to getting through this. I think I will have to agree with Jpage and change my mind and ideas.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I personally would want to spay Deja ASAP, but not because it's necessarily the right thing. It's just the easiest. Heats are one of the reasons I will be getting a male.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I'd just spay her if I were you.

Totally not worth the trouble

My whole thing is "as long as it's not bothering me or anyone else". My dog is intact and he is still meeting the above criteria. but if that changes? Well, off goes his nut ?

I'm not breeding and I am also not trying to be a hero if you know what I mean. My dogs have a life second to none and I will not feel guilty if he ever get a neutered because him being intact no longer fits into our lives.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Currently I don't have any other option than to getting through this. I think I will have to agree with Jpage and change my mind and ideas.
I had intended on keeping my bitch intact until she was 5 or 6, but she went into heat every 3.5 months and with an intact male, life was really not fun. I chose to spay her and I have no regrets. Life is easier now. There’s nothing wrong with revisiting your options. Keeping intact, opposite sex animals is certainly doable. And their hormones and behaviors, if well managed, are short lived and cost you nothing but your sanity, lol. But there’s no shame in not wanting to crate and rotate your dogs and choosing to spay your bitch. The hormones do add a lot of stress (to the males, especially), and if you have no intention to breed your female, altering is worth considering, IMO.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deja is 4 and will almost be 5 if I decide to spay her in a few months (I hate doing this) but I need to consider quality of life for 8 weeks a year for all of us but mainly them. Are the side effects of later spay vs juvenile spay any different? My main concern is her developing dog aggression (she is great now) and urinary incontinence later.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
I understand the conundrum. I've had spayed females before, mixed breeds I've adopted already spay. They had good lives. I was going to do an OSS on my gal-dog, but missing out on activities during her heats and the way my poor big-boy was so terribly love sick, changed my mind.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about doing an ovarian sparing spay?
This doesn't solve the issue as she will still go into heat, just not bleeding anymore. Males will still be attracted to her (think Griff!). And if they would mate, she could be injured because the surgery changes the anatomy, according to a reproductive vet I spoke with in the past.
Neutering Griff is not an option btw.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Not to take away from tread, but something brought up in the tread, have many people here experienced urinary incontinence in their females that have been spayed? Just wondering about that myself for a future dog!

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I so do not miss all those years of Bud whining and drooling and chattering his teeth! You have my sincere sympathy. Shadow gets aggressive when she is in heat, so that's annoying.
The only good thing about having Bud around was that I always knew when the girls were in heat and exactly where in their cycles they were. I do think though that future girls may be spayed, I dislike the elective surgery thing but geez I am getting too old for this crap. I still see no point in neutering.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Deja is 4 and will almost be 5 if I decide to spay her in a few months (I hate doing this) but I need to consider quality of life for 8 weeks a year for all of us but mainly them. Are the side effects of later spay vs juvenile spay any different? My main concern is her developing dog aggression (she is great now) and urinary incontinence later.
I can tell you that my bitch is no different now than she was before her spay. She did not gain weight. I did not have to decrease her food. There has been no loss of drive. She is still neutral to strange dogs and people. I have seen no inappropriate aggression whatsoever after her spay. I’m of the opinion that if the genetics are strong, you are not likely to see much, if any, change after. I believe spay incontinence is more common with juvenile spays, but it’s been a while since I looked at any research regarding that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
my cattle dog was spayed at 3 years old and she got incontinece from her spay. It’s unfortunate but it seems to have improved.

Kona was spayed before a year and has had zero issues and it fully corrected her inverted vulva issues she was having.

·
Super Moderator
5,912 Posts
Dealing with the actual dog that is in heat doesn’t bother me. Having an intact male in the house with one is what makes me nuts. I had Russ neutered at 3 because he was driving me out of my mind (Carly was still intact). As long as I show dogs, I’ll have intact females, so Russ got snipped. Life is calmer now.

Spayed Carly at 6. She’s 8.5 now, and is no different than before. Not fat, or incontinent, or aggressive. Exactly the same. As I’ve said before, I was afraid of pyo, which is why I had her spayed.

The only dog that I’ve had that was incontinent was a Doberman. They’re known for having problems with spay incontinence. She was spayed at 10 months. That was almost 25 years ago.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can tell you that my bitch is no different now than she was before her spay. She did not gain weight. I did not have to decrease her food. There has been no loss of drive. She is still neutral to strange dogs and people. I have seen no inappropriate aggression whatsoever after her spay. I’m of the opinion that if the genetics are strong, you are not likely to see much, if any, change after. I believe spay incontinence is more common with juvenile spays, but it’s been a while since I looked at any research regarding that.
I've since opted for male dogs, just because I don't want to deal with female dogs in heat. I remember the mess my mother's intact lab made, and I was done with that noise. Most of my females were spayed young, at 6 months to a year, because they were pound pups. I've never had a female have incontinence due to a spay, only old age. None of my dogs changed afterwards either. I will be keeping my male pup intact until he's at least finished developing.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for the feedback. My hubby is not eager to have her spayed but hey, he is hardly home. But ultimately it is up to me. The fear of Pyo may play a role into going ahead with spaying her, even though it doesn't seem common and I don't know of any dog in Europe who had it besides a very old obese Rough Collie (dogs are generally not spayed or neutered for non-medical reasons in the EU)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I would think at her age you have better odds of no side effects in your favor? It is a tough decision for you Im sure. I'd rationalize the pyo and the serenity in the home into a go ahead and spay, were it me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts