German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right here i go...Have been reading up on best way to feed our new pup. So far we have been feeding him James well beloved kibble. The main problem we have is choice of kibble here on the Isle of Man where we live (cant get the ones i want to feed him). We never really considered raw feeding until now. I have read more and more regarding RAW/BARF feeding and all the benifits it has and also my way of thinking that in their natural enviroment they kill animals and eat all of them so we now have decided to go ahead and try RAW feeding.

Obviously We want to get it right from the start, so my questions are probably ones that have been asked so many times but for me i just want a post that i have started and can see the results and use them (if you all know what i mean)

Sabre is 13wks old, currently gets three meals a day of kibble.

1)Do i basically go to my butchers and ask for raw products
2)What should those products be
3)Do i just put the "bones" in his bowl along with meat or do you break the bones up given his age at the moment
4)Can you mix the meats or do you have to wean one off before starting another

I know these may be pretty basic or stupid questions so apologies for being so "dim" but just want to make sure i understand the whole process of RAW feeding lol.

Attachments

·
Banned
743 Posts
I feed prey model raw. 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% organ (5% liver and 5% other). I am not sure how to calculate a puppies daily portion. I think it is 2-2.5% of estimated adult weight or 8% of current weight. Someone else should confirm this for me as I always had adults started on raw. Example, Lincoln weighs 65lbs. He gets 1.4lbs a day at 2%. Anymore he gets fat.

I switched cold turkey. Never feed raw and kibble in same meal. You can feed anything but beef bones. Here is what I feed

Chicken quarters
Chicken wings and drumsticks (only if your dog chews as its a choking hazard for larger dogs)
Whole chickens

Pork tails
Pork tongues
Pork side ribs
Pork roasts (Shoulder, tummy)
Pork breasts

Turkey..everything from a turkey

Beef roasts (eye of round, steaks, stewing etc)
Ground beef
Beef trim oddly
Beef tongue

Cornish Game hens, Quail etc

Bison, Venison (Deer), Duck etc etc. I try to avoid beef bones as they are weigh bearing as well as Deer and Bison bones.

Lamb...cannot forget about lamb lol

General rule of thumb.. feed at least half the size of the dogs head to prevent just swallowing. Whole bones are fine, breaking them up would cause a choking hazard. You want him to break them with his teeth.

As for organs I feed anything Liver and Kidney. But for the first two weeks feed nothing but chicken to get him used to raw. Then slowly start adding in others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We went to our local market and were able to get the following over here, white tripe, rabbits, liver, kidneys, hearts, lamb breast, neck, pig trotters, mince beef & chicken drumsticks & quarters. This is really all that we can get where we live. We cant order meat, etc from internet sites due to scrict import regulations on meat products.

We have sorted out various "baggies" of approx 400g bags. 1 400g bag will consist of meat and 1 400g bag would be "bone" meal.

Today we gave him a baggie which was mainly consiting of mince beef with kidney.

We are planning to feed him in the morning a "meat Baggie" and evening a "bone Baggie"

I have noticed a lot of people saying to start on one meat only for two weeks or so for him to get used to it. Obviously looks like we have started off wrong!!

Is it possible for me to carry on with the same meats already started on for two weeks or should we do the chicken thing for the two weeks?

By the way, what we gave him he absolutley Loved!! Bowl was clean in 2mins!!, lol

Also noticed straight away he didnt want to poo! It was around 2hrs later he had one, on the kibble we were feeding him after he had eaten he had a poo almost 5mins after eating every meal, I guess thats good too?

·
Registered
27,302 Posts
white tripe has no nutritional value~ don't feed it! You should go to www.rawdogranch.com for some information, there are spreadsheets and other invaluable info on feeding a raw diet.
I mainly feed 45% rawmeatybones
50% musclemeat and 5% organmeat. I feed a variety of protein(pork, beef, chicken, rabbit, venison) and green tripe which has many benefits. www.aplaceforpaws.com has a great article on feeding green tripe.
IMO, a GSD needs some bones to crunch to get the teeth cleansed. I feed chicken, pork neck bones and turkey necks to help the dogs get that plaque off. If you are feeding a ground premade, the dog still may need to have dentals to remove the gunk.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so white tripe no good? Trouble is we cant get green tripe over here, some of the butchers we spoke to had ever heard of it never mind supply it, those that have heard of it again say that they cant get hold of it to supply us.

Only other option for us is to try the local slaughter house, see what they can do.

He had his first chicken thigh today....He loved it, despite myself and my partner cringing at the crunching sounds!!! both thinking "my god! we were told never to feed bones to dogs!!" lol I think he is going to take to the raw diet no problem whatsoever. Next, the cats i think (not for him to eat) am sure they would like to go on raw too! lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fish is also something to feed. Mine LOVES it! Canned mackeral, sardines etc. Sardines can have alot of sodium so go easy on the broth/oil they come in. I rinse the sardines off as best I can too. Jade also really enjoys trout. I buy it fresh from the grocery store and freeze it for a few days to kill any parasites in it. Good luck~

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take it with fish you basically just give it to them guts and all? lol Fish bones ok to eat are they?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I take it with fish you basically just give it to them guts and all? lol Fish bones ok to eat are they?
Personally i wouldn't give the guts of ANY fish to my dog.Not even out of clean Florida waters! I may be to protective of him but i see fish organs as good places to concentrate all the pollutants they are exposed too- ie:mercury, lead , fertilizer pollutants etc:eek:. My dog can get those nutrients from many safer forms :D. Just my personal opinion based on what i believe. And i believe are oceans,lakes and waterways are getting more polluted by the day + BP fish oil is not what i want and Blitz surely doesn't need. :peace:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats fine, i didnt like the idea of giving him the innards of a fish, lol. But is it ok for him to have fish bones? Or best to gut and de-bone

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Fish bones (uncooked of course) are fine.

One thing to remember with organs (of ANY animal) is that they are filters[/] - not sponges. :) Their job is to filter the bad stuff out of the blood and DISPOSE OF IT (through waste products).

Livers do not STORE toxins - they work to flush them out of the body.

Now, if you were to feed an animal that had lived a long and hard life, feed toxins on a regular basis and had poor nutrition, then you might see some issues with their organs ( like the liver).

But most animal we feed our dogs - like chickens - live a very short life and their organs have little chance to be damaged by toxins.

Chickens are about 8 WEEKS of age at the time they are slaughtered. Grass-fed beef or bison livers are awesome (if you can find them). Even commercially raised beef livers are ok.

The only thing I would worry about with the fish is if they are not commercially processed. Then you would want to check their gut for any foreign objects - like hooks and such - before you feed them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We are looking to switch also and it seems like a dumb question but we were always told by the vet absolutely no chicken bones, not even pork bones.
So it is ok, they don't choke or splinter?
How about salmonella risk?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What about pork chop/steak bones? We have talked about starting ONLY Bella raw. What bones other than cooked can she NOT have. I have pork bones left in the freezer from when we had our pig slaugterd.

·
Registered
65 Posts

One thing to remember with organs (of ANY animal) is that they are filters[/] - not sponges. :) Their job is to filter the bad stuff out of the blood and DISPOSE OF IT (through waste products).

Now, if you were to feed an animal that had lived a long and hard life, feed toxins on a regular basis and had poor nutrition, then you might see some issues with their organs ( like the liver).

But most animal we feed our dogs - like chickens - live a very short life and their organs have little chance to be damaged by toxins.

Chickens are about 8 WEEKS of age at the time they are slaughtered. Grass-fed beef or bison livers are awesome (if you can find them). Even commercially raised beef livers are ok.

The only thing I would worry about with the fish is if they are not commercially processed. Then you would want to check their gut for any foreign objects - like hooks and such - before you feed them.

Heavy metals do not flush out of the organs !!! Thats how you end up with heavy metal poisoning and fish organs contain heavy metal among other things !PS -filters can clog up !!!1

·
Registered
65 Posts

Tell that to people with heavy metal poisoning. Distilled water is in an ionic state that allows it to bind to heavy metals in the body and very slowing helps remove it . I have Never seen a distilled natural body of water that any fish inhabit.....The topic was fish guts not chickens which most are raised in a controlled environment as opposed to fish unless they are farm raised !!!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
We are looking to switch also and it seems like a dumb question but we were always told by the vet absolutely no chicken bones, not even pork bones.
So it is ok, they don't choke or splinter?
How about salmonella risk?
ANY raw bones is fine - if the dog can eat it. :) My Chinese Cresteds treat chicken legs like recreational bones but my Shepherd eats them whole. :)

RAW bones are softer than cooked bones so there's little splintering.

I have raised 4 previous German Shepherds, 1 current GSD, 1 GSD mix, 2 Chinese Crested, a Cocker Spaniel and a Corgi mix on raw. I have weaned two litters of Crested puppies directly to raw. 3 of the puppies from my first Crested litter have NEVER tasted kibble. I've switched countless foster dogs and puppies directly to raw. If they stay at my house they eat raw. :)

I've been feeding raw for over 10 years. In that time I've fed over 10 THOUSAND pounds of raw chicken with bone and never once had intestines torn from bone splinters.

I've fed raw meat that smelled so bad it would singe the hair in your nose! (Not an everyday thing!)

Back when I had chickens the dogs would follow them around and slurp up the chicken poop as it came out and THAT is where Salmonella comes from - chicken poop.

My dogs have caught, killed and eaten many wild rabbits, mice and moles. They have also eaten things long dead (like weeks).

I've fed healthy dogs and I've fed sick dogs raw. I've fed raw to puppies starting at 4 weeks of age.

I've never had a dog get sick from eating raw.

If it was such a risk - blockages, choking (had it happen once), shredded intestines, bacterial infections, blood lust, etc. - don't you think I would have encountered it at least a FEW times in the 10+ years and 10+ thousand pounds of food??

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
We've been feeding Mac rice & raw meat mixed with his Kibble for the last few weeks and he's tolerating it well, his coat is already softer and that puppy smell is gone. And, of course he loves it.

My husband ground up a beef liver, chicken liver, chicken gizzard & Chicken hearts and put 1.5 cup portions into plastic bags and froze them. Is it ok to serve this much at one time with his rice & kibble? I assume also that will be good for only one meal and he should get a meaty bone for the others per day. What do you think?

·
Registered
27,302 Posts
That is waay too much organ meat if you feed over a spoonful. He may get runny poo from that. Meaty bones are not a meal. The only RMB that is almost complete as a meal is the chicken leg 1/4 as there may be some organ meat attached to the back(if the backs are included).
Check out the raw threads, for balanced portions. Rice is just a filler, I never give rice unless my dogs are sick.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I didn't mean the meaty bone would be the complete meal...only the meat portion of it. And by meaty bone, I meant a turkey leg etc.

Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
We've been feeding Mac rice & raw meat mixed with his Kibble for the last few weeks
Quick question - why the rice? White rice is devoid of most nutrients for4 HUMANS and it's a total waste of time for dogs since they don't need carbs.

My husband ground up a beef liver, chicken liver, chicken gizzard & Chicken hearts
How much of each item was used in the mix?

You want to aim for 50% of their diet consisting of boneless meats, 5% of their diet consisting of organ meats and 45% of their diet consisting or raw meaty bones (where no more than 25% of that is actual bone).

If you are going to continue feeding the kibble you need to determine how much of each you will be feeding - like half kibble, half raw. Then you need to figure out how much (in WEIGHT (pounds/ounces)- not volume) you would feed the dog if you went 100% raw and then calculate the actual amounts you will be feeding (like say, cut in half for half raw).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts