German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to switch Remi to Victor hi pro. Today is day 2 of the switch. Started slow, only 25% of the new food. He has only had 3 meals with the new food and poor guy had the runs really bad :-(

Is this a sign that he can't take the new food, or could his system just rest to the new food in a few days? I don't want to keep feeding this food if its just not going to agree with him.

This is why I hate switching foods.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Add a small amount of pumpkin. Keep him at 25% for a week, then move to 30% and gradually increase. I switched my older dog to LID and I spent two months gradually increasing and decreasing.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I mix foods up and Victor was one of the foods I was using and the dogs did very well on it. Suddenly they started with severe diarrhea all within a few days of each other after opening a new bag. I thought it was just a virus until somebody wrote on another forum that many people and breeders were suddenly having the same problem with Victor. I stopped using Victor after that but I never saw a recall or heard anything more about it. I have yet to try another bag until I hear more one way or the other.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's most likely because of the change (why he's having runny stools). Mine had runny stools when changing to a new brand, but a week after it's gotten into the new brand completely, his poop is solid. I've changed my dog's food multiple times, only 1 brand didn't come through even after a week of feeding him only that brand. So try and push through until that first week of only the new brand.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Some Victor formulas have really high fat. My dog gets loose stools from too much fat. But he does well on the Victor multipro with lower fat.

I mix in as much High Energy as he can tolerate to get him a little more calories because it can be hard to keep weight on him when he is training a lot.

Hi Pro i think has a little less fat than the high energy but still a fair amount

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I have had my GSD's on a certain food and it was just too rich for them so since you only added 25% this could be the case. my kibble issue was with Orijen which IMO is a great food.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the feedback. @Malibu I tried Orijen once when I first had him. Only about 15 pieces as training treats and he couldn't take it.

We decided not to go through with the switch. Since we walk him, picking up would be very problematic.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why are you changing?
As you know I have been using Dr. Tim's. Remi does really well on it, but occasionally (2x in the last 2 years) we have had bags that don't agree with him. One feeding and he has softer stool than I would like to see. CS at chewy has been great, they offer other bags to try. This time it happened again, they gave me a new bag, which seems better..I figured I would like to eliminate this issue by switching to Victor since there have been lots of good comments here. But, it seems like people have had similar issues with Victor as was posted in this thread by someone.

I will go back to what I have said before, if you want to be sure of what the dog is eating, you have do raw or cook it at home. I hate feeding little brown pellets. But, stuck with it till I have the ability to do raw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts