German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my CKC registration paper in the mail for my pup, and the name I requested is incorrect. It makes for a good laugh, but quite frankly I'm not interesting in having titles behind a dog with the name "Ja Ryka"... it sounds and looks awful to me, despite its hilarity. It was supposed to be Java, but apparently you can pay to protect a name from ever being used by anyone except your kennel. Which would've be great to know, but unfortunately I wasn't contacted by my breeder when the news came in that Java is an unacceptable choice.

Anyways, I called the CKC and they informed me of this. I just sent an email to my breeder to request that the name be changed, and apparently she needs to fill in a form that I can then print off and mail in with the original papers to change it. Is anyone familiar with this or has anyone gone through the process? I know I'm being annoyingly knit picky and at the end of the day it probably doesn't matter that much, but goodness... Ja Ryka?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I am sorry you have to go through this. Perhaps if you could obtain the form (maybe from the CKC website?), print it out, add a note with the new name that you want, enclose an addressed stamped envelope and mailed it all to your breeder that may facilitate the matter.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Where you trying to use it as a kennel name type thing? Like "Java's Jane Dog"? Because yes, breeders can reserve their kennel name and no one will be able to use it. But if the registered name was something like "Breeder's Cup of Java" I don't see what the problem was. Unless the whole registered name had already been used.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was simply meant to be Java von Wendelin, and when I said that's what the name was supposed to be I was told that someone had essentially protected the name "Java" in its entirety. Though the individual I spoke to was exceptionally cranky and rude, but that's a different matter. There may already be another Java, but I can imagine that the average owner such as myself wouldn't pay to protect it, and obviously my breeder hadn't otherwise she would've informed me.

Unfortunately she was out of country when the CKC called, so they just decided on a name themselves... and a very terrible one at that, haha.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the breeder had to submit three name choices when applying for the dog's individual registration.

maybe they did submit your name choice and the CKC rejected it for some reason .

Breeder reserves the right to name the dog .

Yes, she sent back an email informing me of this. Unfortunately I was unaware of it ahead of time, otherwise I would've provided two different options alongside with the Java we had agreed upon. She was very kind to let me choose the name so long as it was a J name. I had two others I was very happy with, and hopefully I can get one of the other three I had in mind behind Java.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
there probably is another Java v Wendelin . Popular name .

You can't protect the name Java -- but the name in it's entirety is protected .

A slight change in the name such as Java Black v Wendelin or Java Fort v Wendelin or Java Femfa v Wendelin.

There were some popular names back in the day , thinking Zena o Xena when the princess warrior , or any other big successful movie (Rocky) came along.

I had a few people wanting their female named Xena . I tried to oblige as much as possible -- adding the owner's surname or location .

see if they can change the name which I believe you can do as long as you have not used her name in an official capacity , showing , competition, or breeding .

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll call the CKC again today and ask if I can do that then. I actually like Java Black a lot, haha. It might be easier to do that, though they did say it would cost money/require a breeder request form. But I'll call and ask again. She's only under 5 months and I don't intend to show her, so there's nothing official behind her yet.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update for anyone in the future who stumbles upon this and is in the same boat:

I was able to get the name changed, but there is no official name change request form with the CKC. So I had to have proof that the breeder approved (in my case I just used a printed off e-mail from my breeder), send in the original certificate prior to the deadline (60 days after the registration date), have a letter explaining what was happening, attached with those two things, and pay the non-member fee of $33 over the phone with my credit card.

Just be warned though... the CKC call centre has a ton of awful staff members. Their customer service is abysmal. So be prepared to bite your tongue, because these people have to be better at dealing with dogs than people... or so I hope.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heiß Java v. Wendelin
That would've been a great option! I'll keep that in mind for later uses, haha. It had to start with a J though, so using "Java" first in any way would've just gone against me. I ended up going with Joule v. Wendelin... all the science people will get it, everyone else will assume a gemstone. My current theme is that my dog is crazy with too much energy hahaha.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You know you can call her any name you like. My first purebred dog had a terrible name, but the breeder registered it and that was that. We never used the name for anything.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know you can call her any name you like. My first purebred dog had a terrible name, but the breeder registered it and that was that. We never used the name for anything.

Her call name is Ryka, but I just couldn't stand the thought of having a dog named "Ja Ryka" on score board or in front of a title. It's definitely vain, but I was given the choice of the registered name that didn't come out as I had asked for unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I ended up going with Joule v. Wendelin... all the science people will get it, everyone else will assume a gemstone. My current theme is that my dog is crazy with too much energy hahaha.
Hate to break this to you Femfa, but I didn't need a pointy head to google it. Lol.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Her call name is Ryka, but I just couldn't stand the thought of having a dog named "Ja Ryka" on score board or in front of a title. It's definitely vain, but I was given the choice of the registered name that didn't come out as I had asked for unfortunately.
I like your new choice for her pedigree name.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts