German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While deciding I wanted a GSD, I knew that my pupper would come with a lot of responsibility. It's been less than 6 weeks and I'm already taking in all I can with her! I get out more. I usually sit at home and procastinate this and that. With a puppy, it's like no. I HAVE to go to the store and get her food, and I can't leave her at home so we need to walk there together. We go out for our morning walk to the park, sit by the ducks as I try to get to go to in the water by herself then go to the swings then around the rest of the park. I LOVE showing off my beautiful black puppy. People will roll down their windows passing by and yell to me that she is a beautiful puppy! So far, she hasn't been able to chew up my shoes but she prefers my Nikes over anything else in this house besides th garbage. I've learned to be more patient with her, with the people who come to meet her. Now if I see somebody looking at her I stop and ask if they want to pet her. I love being responsible for something so great. I love that I alone have the ability to give an animal a better life. As much as I'll regret saying this, I enjoy having to wakeup early with her. I knew I'd have to take Vida for several walks a day or she might turn into trouble. I didn't take my last dog for too many walks. She didn't get to see enough of the world, but she loved the mountains and countryside log cabin we had growing up.
I can never see any bad coming out of owning a dog other than heartbreak. I end up spending about 300$ a month on her already with food and shots and flea treatment and insurance. I like being able to wrestle with her at night. I think being a dog owner makes me a better person.

How has your dog(s) changed you?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weight loss is one of my favorite parts of owning a dog.. I wish I could take her for jogs and longer walks or hikes but I think she's still too young!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Owning a GSD really gives you satisfaction more than anything, I think.

You know that it's not just a dog, but a German Shepherd. Smart, brave and loyal. They love to learn new things, motivate you to do stuff with them and are perfectly content to do anything with you that you want them to be a part of.

·
2,967 Posts
Having my dogs has really helped regiment my life and take me outside of myself. I get up earlier because they need to be fed and walked. I go home after work because they are waiting for me. They cannot do for themselves and they need me.

I've learned patience, and training has been a real learning experience. I've made new friends. The people I see most often are the people I train with. I'm covered in dog hair (so is my house) and I hardly even notice anymore. I'm outside more. When I move somewhere my first concern is do they allow my dogs. When I go the store I look at the ad and think "This would be good for the dogs!" My favorite gifts at Christmas have to do with the dogs. I don't want dress shoes...I want tracking boots.

Wow. Really, how hasn't my life changed?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've owned dogs all of my life. My mother and I have always been dog lovers, but I have never had the dedication towards a dog as I do towards my GSD. As I've said before, I've always owned small breed dogs, and besides regular vet visits, the other main concern was just to get them potty trained, and have cute cuddly companions. I feel like I'm dealing with a whole new type of companion, and that I've opened a whole new world as a pet owner. I've established goals for myself and my GSD. I've researched the breed, and food, and training so that my pup will be the best dog she can be. And I realize that my actions now will greatly affect the type of future she shares with me and my family. Its hard to explain...but even my husband, whose idea it was to get a GSD in the first place, even says, "Wow, you're like really a dog person now." I also feel like all of the information I've learned about the breed are things that I am able to pass on to my other two small dogs that are going to improve their lives as well. Strange how an animal can do that to you??

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
yup, helped drop some weight. I also noticed I'm more patient. I know she doesnt understand things so I take my time and train more... this carries into interacting with people too.

I watch WAY less TV. And I get excited about "dog-friendly" places.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chi.Canine, sorry for double posting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts