German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Stormy - White GSD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trainer that I take my boy to for herding recommended switching him to a raw diet after she saw how loose his stool would become during classes. I've been transitioning him (I don't want to toss out the kibble so I've just been incorporating it into the diet until it's gone) for about a week now. I've noticed an immediate change in the quality (previously was always a little loose) as well as the amount. Should I see this big of a difference already, or am I underfeeding him? He's always been very excited to eat his meals and his energy levels are great.

So far it seems to be working great, I guess I just worry about not giving him enough to eat.

Attached photo is my dirty herdin' boy :)

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
need more info on what you’re feeding him and the amounts. i saw a difference in stool quality after the first meal...... but i don’t quite understand what that has to do with the amount fed?

depending on the age of your dog... if he’s in a resting state in this photo, then he’s a tad leaner than i prefer.

to give you an idea, my dog eats between 2-2.5% of his body weight in raw. he’s 8 and just moderately active.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with Fodder, but I know some people who keep their dogs that lean. I moved my boy to raw recently since he has an allergy to storage mites and while freezing kibble has said to reduce the exposure to them, I chose to eliminate them entirely (hopefully). That said, he's 85lbs and gets about 2lbs a day. Here's a calculator on one of the raw sites that might be helpful to see if you're underfeeding: Raw Food Feeding Calculator | Hare Today

·
Registered
Stormy - White GSD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! The website resource is so helpful, thank you so much for this!!
I've increased his food a bit using the online calculator linked. He is a little over a year old - we're still working on filling out! This question stemmed from the unbelievably small amounts of waste compared to the amount that he was having when on kibble - just for clarification.

Thanks again for the replies and resources. This forum is so helpful and welcoming :)

·
Super Moderator
5,654 Posts
Thanks for the replies! The website resource is so helpful, thank you so much for this!!
I've increased his food a bit using the online calculator linked. He is a little over a year old - we're still working on filling out! This question stemmed from the unbelievably small amounts of waste compared to the amount that he was having when on kibble - just for clarification.

Thanks again for the replies and resources. This forum is so helpful and welcoming :)
Raw poops are very small as there is little that the dog doesn't digest and utilize. They also disappear in a couple days on their own.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Considering your dog is only a year old, I’d up his food. I’m not sure how much you feed but if he is active I’d do a 3-4% range divided into 2 meals.

Also, I do recommend doing extensive reasesech before feeding raw, it’s not as clear cut as just giving ur dog raw meat. If the poop looks good it’s sounds like your on the right path.

Another good reference would be Perfectly Rawsome

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
Raw poops are very small as there is little that the dog doesn't digest and utilize. They also disappear in a couple days on their own.
ha!
indeed!
keystones are the same size as my brothers mini schnauzer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts