German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the 4th of July Sage had a hurt front right shoulder, vet said probably a inflamed tendon so he gave her rymadril(sp?). Which I know now isn't good for dogs. A few days and she was feeling fine. Walking normal. But I noticed she wasn't eating much, which is unusual because normally she will devour food as soon as say okay. But now I almost have to force her to eat cause she will just sniff it and walk away. Sometimes she will eat some here and there but it's almost like she completely lost her appetite overnight. ? I thought she was just not feeling well cause of the drugs but its been several weeks off the drug and she still doesn't have her appetite back. She was spayed a week ago today. And she turns 1 year old this Saturday. Why do you think she doesn't want to eat now? Is she still not feeling good cause of the drugs ? Or does she not like her food anymore? It's weird that this just seemed to have occurred overnight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like she is nauseous. Was she on an antibiotic after her spay? When did she lose her appetite?
No she was not on an antibiotic after her spay just a painkiller, she lost her appetite a few days after July 4. Maybe the 7th or8th

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Did you have bloodwork done before her spay? If not I would have that done immediately to make sure her kidneys are ok. If everything checks out there you can try giving her slippery elm about a half hour before you feed her. It really helps with nausea.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have bloodwork done before her spay? If not I would have that done immediately to make sure her kidneys are ok. If everything checks out there you can try giving her slippery elm about a half hour before you feed her. It really helps with nausea.
Yes I had blood work done and everything was normal.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Just a word for thought - Rimadyl is a GREAT anti-inflammatory. It is easily one of the most prescribed medications in the vet industry. MILLIONS of dogs are on rimadyl for acute conditions - like soft tissue injuries - or there are MANY dogs on it for YEARS for chronic ailments like hip dysplasia. Like any drug there are side effects, and like any drug there is the risk of serious side effects. A few examples making the news should not cloud MILLIONS of dogs using it that show no ill effect to it, especially with blood work to monitor organ function every 6 months.

Rimadyl is a safer drug than some other commonly prescribed pain medications, metacam (meloxicam) being a big one right off the top of my head.

Zeke is on rimadyl right now as needed for his mild hip dysplasia. I do blood work every 6 months to monitor organ values.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
about the nauseau - Rimadyl's most common side effect is GI upset so that could be a cause. However, off the drug for weeks it should no longer be upsetting her. What strikes me in this whole thing, you have a dog that is acting weird for a few weeks, anorexic, and then have her undergo a major abdominal surgery. Now it's been another week, still not wanting to eat - something is going on, and she probably needs to go back to the vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts