German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
All about what you need/looking for in a dog. If I wanted a molosser, I would go presa canario over CC anyway. Owning a well bred working line GSD and taking the time to train it properly is a different experience.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Not many corsos are as versatile as gsds. A lot are poorly bred. They dont have the stamina, or the trainability. If I wanted a dog to do a sport or pp, I'd be looking at a mal, ds, or gsd.
If I was looking for an estate dog, I'd consider a cc.

It really comes down to what you want.

Now I'd pass on most presas. In my club there are two PC, one can work, one cant. 4 working cc, and the rest or herding breeds.
I find the herding breeds can do a lot more than mastiff breeds. By a lot

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Not many corsos are as versatile as gsds. A lot are poorly bred. They dont have the stamina, or the trainability. If I wanted a dog to do a sport or pp, I'd be looking at a mal, ds, or gsd.
If I was looking for an estate dog, I'd consider a cc.

It really comes down to what you want.

Now I'd pass on most presas. In my club there are two PC, one can work, one cant. 4 working cc, and the rest or herding breeds.
I find the herding breeds can do a lot more than mastiff breeds. By a lot
Most mastiff type dogs are out of their element on the sport scene that was designed for herding dogs. There are some breeders, Red Star, Cabeza Grande, and oak leaf that have good working dogs. I have met the breeders from all three and spent a weekend with red star folks back in the day when Alex was there. Have met countless PC...Love the working lines. These dogs are not for everyone.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I guess if you weren't on a GSD forum you would get a different opinion, lol.
But here are my none expert thoughts.

There is no dog better then a GSD. Their absolute versatility and almost unmatched intelligence coupled with an undying loyalty to their families makes them great and is what has held them in top spots year over year with the general public.
Like any jack of all trades they carry a vast array of tools in their toolbox and no breed has shown more willingness to reach for a more appropriate tool when the situation calls for it.
No other breed has successfully conquered so many fields in so short a time. The breed as we know it has been around for a bit more then 100 years, a newborn compared to many breeds. Further they make excellent teachers for often novice handlers and will happily forgive and forget as their humans evolve. From amusing children to assisting our militaries they will take on any task and make it theirs with a lolling tongue and a happy grin as they trot tirelessly beside us through our ever changing lives.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Most mastiff type dogs are out of their element on the sport scene that was designed for herding dogs. There are some breeders, Red Star, Cabeza Grande, and oak leaf that have good working dogs. I have met the breeders from all three and spent a weekend with red star folks back in the day when Alex was there. Have met countless PC...Love the working lines. These dogs are not for everyone.
And pp.
When a lot of the breeds were resurrected, they used breeds that were not suited to human aggression.

·
Super Moderator
4,810 Posts
If I weren't going GSD I'd go Ridgeback...but what do I know.

Now if I wanted a dog that protected the family by being a living wall, l then I'd go mastiff.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I want a dog that can run all day, is attentive to their person, loves to learn, great nose, discernment with protection, solid nerves, and is super smart... I have no interest in owning a presa, cane or any other molosser- ugly, slow, hard to train, tough to find a good one, and really dangerous if handled or bred incorrectly.

You know this is a GSD forum, right?

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
AHHH - Give me that GSD that snuggles up to me at night. A part of her body must always be touching a part of mine. When I move and feel her head come over and lay on my foot. My heart melts. I love dogs, all dogs, but there is nothing else like a GSD.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'd say get a Cane......There's already far-- far too many GSD owners who have them for all the wrong reasons...and/or because someone suggested the breed....then they end up in a pound or rescue...or worse.-----So for me once again...I'd say get your Cane Corso

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a Cane before I got Genali. Bella was fabulous! She did a wonderful job of protecting the home, was great with the kids......fabulous (well, except for the drool, but I loved her anyway)

Now I have a GSD. Genali is fabulous! She will also do wonderful at protection and is learning how to be around the kids. She is fabulous!

Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. I couldn't say one breed is better than the other. Bella was easier as a puppy.....Genlia is a force of nature. Opposite ends of the spectrum, IMO.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I don't know what your purpose of asking such a question in a GSD forum is. Are you trying to pick a fight with everyone here? OR are you on the fence about what breed to get next and you had a Cane Corso before and are now considering a GSD? Trying to compare and contrast is a moot point. Canes are good for a few things and GSDs are good for most other things. They're as different as iPhones are to Samsungs...both are phones, but both have different features. It's all about preference and what you want to do with it. I have a feeling that you already know in your mind which one you think is better and you just want a little justification. And unless we tell you something like GSDs can sprout wings and fly in the air for short periods of time, I don't think we will change your mind.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.