German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey's always had a smell that we said was "himself"; a subtle, nice odor.

Lately he seems to smell like cinnamon, especially around his head. His ears don't seem infected. His paws have that great corn chip smell.

He's going next week for his annual vet visit and bloodwork, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed scent changes in their dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Is he licking his paws. Rosko will lick his back left paw to the point of a yeast infection. You can try soaking his paws in an Epsom salt bath a couple times a day.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He does lick his paws - has done that since we adopted him over 4 years ago.

Will have to look into the Epsom salt soaking.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
He does lick his paws - has done that since we adopted him over 4 years ago.

Will have to look into the Epsom salt soaking.
I would still ask your vet to look into it next time. Allergies will cause them to do this a lot of times. I had to change roskos diet, and he went through a round of antibiotics and steroids to get him over it initially. Now he just licks the one paw. I think it is out of habit. At least if I see him doing it now I can tell him to leave it and he will.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
take carbohydrates out of the diet --
if you are feeding kibble understand that grain free does NOT mean that it is starch free and it is starches that feed fungus --- and that kibble needs some form of starch as a binder.
Read your labels .

provide tools for the digestive system to "re-set"
and work at optimum , which will take care of allergies , which means digestive enzymes and probiotics

yeast and fungi are opportunistic , so, your dog has a somewhat depressed immune system. If you don't attend to it , yeast and fungi can blossom , involving all systems .

fungal problems resolve with , internally , coconut oil , garlic , olive leaf powder
(such as Olivus OliveLeafMAX Capsules - 60 Ct) oregano , probiotics, apple cider vinegar with "mother" Braggs, USNEA .

externally -- frequent shampooing can exacerbate the problem because you are changing the protective microbiome of the skin mantle , pH .
A solution of Epsom salts can help, a solution of ACV can help, Usnea can help

you can not just attend to the symptom , the external evidence , you must go right to the source.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He gets fed a "semi-raw" diet.

We give him coconut oil daily.

What type of probiotics and digestive enzymes would be good for him?

He's over 10 years old; we want to make sure his immune system is working at its best.

Thanks!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kibble; raw meat from a dog nutritionist; eggs; salmon; mackerel; carrots; blueberries; Fruitables treats

1 to 1 1/2 cups kibble per day; supplemented with one of the proteins

The last 3 items are given as treats

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
okay , so I needed to have a look at Fruitables since I was not familiar with this treat --

you have to make an effort to see the ingredients

chose "pumpkin blueberry" as first to view -- wow --
how can they call this pumpkin blueberry ? More like
pumpkin starches , blueberry is so far down the line.

So this gets me riled . Why , when we are trying to reduce or eliminate SUGAR from our own diets , a substance which is cancer promoting , does Sugar appear in a dog product , when dogs don't even have sugar receptors ??

this is making a product sound appealing to the human -- humanizing it to bakery muffin , no health benefits whatsoever.

here are your ingredients as on the package

pumpkin , organic oatmeal , pearled barley, potatoes, oat fiber , canola oil, BROWN SUGAR (grr) blueberries , cinnamon , natural flavour (of what??),
vanilla (would not be pure vanilla ! and not necessary) mixed tocopherols.

the first ingredient may not be pumpkin - often it is NOT , but some squash (higher in sugars) ,

the next 4 ingredients are carbohydrates (grains and starches) which reduce to sugars ,

then canola oil which is dependably GMO

then Brown Sugar by itself

cinnamon can confer some very good health benefits IF it is real cinnamon (cinnamon verum) true , Ceylon , cinnamon -- more pricey than "cinnamon" which is actually CASSIA and that is liver toxic (over time)
why vanilla ? probably some cheap alcohol distillation/synthetic scent/taste approximation.

looked into Sweet Potato / Pecan --- even worse

addressing the base --
"Kibble; raw meat from a dog nutritionist; eggs; salmon; mackerel; carrots; blueberries"

depending on the kibble - again expect to find lots of carbohydrates/ starches which feed fungi -

kibble being rendered is pretty much dead -- takes energy to digest , withdraws enzymes from the finite enzyme "bank account" (remember your dog is advanced in years) and digests at a different rate than a raw meat meal would .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts