German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Just a general question for those of you who have spayed your pups when they were adults. Willow was just over 3 years old when I got her spayed, and it has now been about 7 weeks or so since that spay.

Over the past few days, it seems like her energy level has changed. Now in the evening she just wants to go lie down in her crate and sleep. Usually she's on her pillow at my feet, not like SUPER energetic but will sometimes get up to ask for affection, or would play with me if I initiated it. I just tried to get her to play with some stuffy toys and she did for like a minute, kinda half-heartedly, but she seems really just not interested.

I feel like I'm not over-exercising her...I mean I'll get her to run/play on our walks so that she's panting by the time we get home, and I've definitely tired her out...but usually she's kinda "recovered" from that fairly quickly. And she seems to act the same in the morning--it's just the evening now that she seems tired.

Granted I guess it could be a combination of factors. She's been with me for 3 months now, so maybe part of this is just her feeling more comfortable. Nothing else has really changed - I switched her food but did it gradually and she's been on the new food for about a week now, her poops are normal; although yeah for the last two days she hasn't pooped in the evening (she usually poops on both our morning and afternoon walks). And I just smelled that she expressed her anal gland just now for some reason, maybe because she didn't poop tonight....yuck.

Sure hope she's not sick. Anyway, yeah, anyone else notice a change in their pup's energy level after spay? How soon after the spay? I guess I'm a bit surprised, I thought the jury was kinda out whether spaying actually changed females' energy levels. Maybe I'm not feeding her enough? I'm following the guidelines on the food bag, but yeah, this new food has fewer kcal/cup than the old food.

Ugh now this room stinks...:)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
:laugh2:
I wondered about that too...do dogs feel the seasons like we do? Maybe I'll have to put my SAD lamp over Willow's crate..:)
Lol. I think it has more to do with the length of the day and chemical changes. My dogs always gain 5 to 10# this time of year too and lose it in the spring and early summer.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
There are a lot of hormonal changes associated with spaying, so I am not surprised that she is more calm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts