German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Chance still had diarrhea. Granted it was only 2x he went yesterday, but it still was not improving so I was starting to think this had nothing to do with his salsa tasting episode.
Took him to this vet whom I have not met before today.
First let me say she is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! I love her, the staff and how they took care of my boy.
She had me go into a room where there was no exam table. The vet and her helper both sat on the floor cooing over Chance telling him how adorable he was, kisses galore and a couple of treats were given to him.
He was eating all of it up too! (both attention and treats) :D
I remarked that I have never seen a vet be like that with a dog and she replied with a smile saying, "Well, while he is thinking I am playing with him and giving him all kinds of love, I have been checking out his stomach"
She said to me she was guessing he had worms.
So while she was kissing his face, handing him another little treat, the vet assistant was sticking the tube up his doopah to get a stool sample. I saw absolutely no change in him. The tech could probably have shoved that thing up to the back of his throat and he wouldn't have minded.
10 minutes later the results were in.
Chance has whip and round worm. So she gave me meds for him to take care of it, told me how to get rid of the poop he has done so far and then said she wanted to wait to do the neutering, etc until next week when he is better.
So next Thursday he is getting his rabies, neutering, teeth cleaned, micro chipped and also going to have the genetic testing done to see what his mix really is as well as anything with health.
Another bonus?
My vet does obedience classes and will be starting one within the month. She does positive reinforcement with her teaching.
I REALLY like this woman! :D

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
You need to spray some bleach where he does go after you clean it up.

I've read that those genetic tests are not very accurate.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that the genetic tests are inaccurate as well.

So glad it's just worms, though; and not anything serious.

·
5,627 Posts
I had a foster with a pretty bad whipworm infestation. Like Jax mentioned, I bleached where I could after he went. I was afraid I was going to have to bleach my whole yard which doesn't have much grass at this point to begin with but I didn't have too. My foster continued to have diarrhea for a week or two during the first round of treatment and was thirsty alot. Luckily, Raven's monthly heartworm preventative also treats whipworm (not all do) and she never go it.

Hope Chance starts to feel better soon!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to spray some bleach where he does go after you clean it up.

I've read that those genetic tests are not very accurate.
Where did you hear the tests are inaccurate from? My vet seemed to think they are great especially with seeing things in regards to health.
Also, I had asked her about spraying bleach. Bleach doesn't touch whipworm. I have to bury the stools. Whipworms are pretty resistant to nature, chemicals etc.
As she said, "Those can be real bastards"

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a foster with a pretty bad whipworm infestation. Like Jax mentioned, I bleached where I could after he went. I was afraid I was going to have to bleach my whole yard which doesn't have much grass at this point to begin with but I didn't have too. My foster continued to have diarrhea for a week or two during the first round of treatment and was thirsty alot. Luckily, Raven's monthly heartworm preventative also treats whipworm (not all do) and she never go it.

Hope Chance starts to feel better soon!
Yeah, she put Chance on Interceptor.
He is acting fine other than the diarrhea. Not eating a whole lot though. She said that will change as the worms start leaving.

·
5,627 Posts
Bleach doesn't touch whipworm. I have to bury the stools. Whipworms are pretty resistant to nature, chemicals etc.
As she said, "Those can be real bastards"
Everything I read about whipworms said to bleach the area and for severe infestations, a soil transplated may be required. I would think burying the stool would keep the yard infected?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything I read about whipworms said to bleach the area and for severe infestations, a soil transplated may be required. I would think burying the stool would keep the yard infected?
I didn't go into the entire conversation I had with her, so I did a quick version,.

She said one of the ways to get rid of it was to bury it, but it needs at LEAST 6" of soil put on top.
Other than that, I need to use a shovel scoop up not only the stools, but the area surrounding it and dispose of.
I am more fortunate due to him going in the same spot each time and it is on dirt, not grass.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you Panacur at LEAST at day one and day 75. Personally, I would panacur at day 30 or so in addition to that.

Whipworms
Yeah, it says here
1 packet 1x daily 3 days in a row. Repeat in 3 weeks
Mix with food. yeah, well he only ate half. :(

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make sure you Panacur at LEAST at day one and day 75. Personally, I would panacur at day 30 or so in addition to that.

Whipworms
Thanks for posting that link. It states the following as well
Soil contaminated by whipworm eggs is contaminated for years. It is virtually impossible to remove the eggs from the soil or kill them. Happily, however, this is one pet intestinal parasite that is not readily transmissible to humans.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
can I say YIPEEE I'm glad it's worms and nothing else more serious:))

A friend's dog is on the 3 day pancur, put in food, yada,,she's been putting her food in canned food so he'll definately slug it all down:))

Happy worm killing:)

·
Premium Member
11,338 Posts
ahhhh - I should read the threads before anything I guess...............LOL LOL Just got on line..........

Lee

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, he sure is a blessing for the vet and vet techs, not to mention you, too. Chance has such an good temperament, which is simply amazing when you consider how badly he was treated! Lots of dogs (most, perhaps?) are no where near as good during vet visits as he is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts