German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am switching to a meat instead of a chicken based food for Chance.
He is not really eating anything at all, his stools are still very loose too.

I tried hand feeding him, and the goof took the kibble out of my hand and literally threw it up in the air! LOL
Store doesn't open until 10.

Suggestions from people who had a dog not do well on EVO chicken.
Did you try EVO meat? Was that better?
What about Blue Wilderness?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Eileen, My dog can't eat chicken. She does best on the fish based foods - Orijen six fish, Acana Pacifica, Wellness Core Ocean. (She actually does best on the Wellness.) Sometimes you can get sample sizes to try. It sounds like these may be hard to find in your area. I order my dog food online at doggiefood.com I'm sure there are other online venues as well. Sometimes the pet store will order for you, but the last time I did that, it was more expensive than ordering myself. I'm sure you will get other good recommendations as well. Oh - and definitely grain free for my dog.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I order many times from doogiefood.com as well....they have *special discounts periodically* that really helps with shipping costs.
Their prices are pretty comparative and some are even less than local stores.
I like the EVO foods.....no complaints.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our now 10 month old female, has had a hard time with dry foods. We think she may have allergies. For allergies we put her on Natural Balance Venison/Sweet Potato for about 4 weeks and some skin issues improved. However I was not fond of giving her a food with the first ingredient of sweet potato, it also seemed to make her poo smell weird, sweet. We've had a two week transition to Solid Gold Large Breed Puppy with Bison, fish meal, barley, rice. She is continuing to improve, less itchy and red skin. The adult formulas for Solid Gold seem to contain everything but chicken. There is a Bison formula, lamb, fish and beef.

Good luck! Our first shepherd could eat anything, just not much of anything since she was hypothyroid. Our new pup is just the opposite and finding the right food seems to be the hardest part of her upbringing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I read in your other post that he has worms? That can have a lot to do with the runny poops. I fed EVO red meat but it didn't turn out too good plus it costs me $1200 for the ER and stool, blood tests. I'm now feeding TOTW wetlands but this morning she had runny stool again so I have no clue lol, I think human kids are way easier.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eileen, My dog can't eat chicken. She does best on the fish based foods - Orijen six fish, Acana Pacifica, Wellness Core Ocean. (She actually does best on the Wellness.) Sometimes you can get sample sizes to try. It sounds like these may be hard to find in your area. I order my dog food online at doggiefood.com I'm sure there are other online venues as well. Sometimes the pet store will order for you, but the last time I did that, it was more expensive than ordering myself. I'm sure you will get other good recommendations as well. Oh - and definitely grain free for my dog.
His lack of eating may be due to the worm infestation he has going on. However, I did pick up some EVO meat to try with him.
He started flinging that kibble around like they were toys too. I don't know. Maybe he likes something with bigger pieces to eat??
I hate not knowing what he is thinking
<sigh>

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, he is now really chowing down on the EVO meat kibble.

Maybe Chance is a meat and potatoes kind of guy? ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts