German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is OBVIOUSLY messed up from the drugs he is on.

About 45 minutes ago I gave him his pain pill in the center of a meatball which he about swallowed whole, then went right back to sleep.

My son and I are watching a movie, Matt laying on the one side, I on the other with a warm blanket on me.
Next thing we know, here comes Chance walking right past me to get petted by Matt.
With that, he jumps on the couch and puts his head near Matt's.

Sigh...I guess I will inform Chance that he is not allowed on the furniture when he feels better. :wub:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Oh we made that mistake, Killian was sedated and was just like Chance, so I let him on the couch, and now he thinks he can get on it no matter what.... Haha..... <3 Have fun with that!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh we made that mistake, Killian was sedated and was just like Chance, so I let him on the couch, and now he thinks he can get on it no matter what.... Haha..... <3 Have fun with that!!

He just got off the couch and about fell over trying to walk back to his bed. This dog is walking like I have when I had too much vino.
Now I wish there was carpeting due to his paws sliding. He is seriously messed up.

·
5,627 Posts
He should be back to normal in the morning.

I know it's not a great comparison but when my female cat was spayed she couldn't even hold her head up when she got home. I stayed up all night with her worried out of my mind but she was better by the middle of the night and 100% back to normal in the morning. The drugs just hit some of them harder like it does to some of us.

Just keep an eye on him and remember how hard it hits in case he ever needs to be put under again. You're doing great! :thumbup:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The only picture I have of Abby sleeping is the day she was spayed.
Zonked

·
Registered
669 Posts
He'll be fine. The anesthetic can be in the system for up to 24 hours, plus with the pain meds, he might be loopy for awhile. Watch his intake of water, not so much at once, he may throw up. Other than that, he'll be up to no good in no time.:)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Oh poor baby!! He should be back to normal in the morning. Dharma bounced right from her spay but Tessa had a REALLY hard time and took days to recover but that was due to her age. Give Chance extra kisses and pets from me and my gang!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Breeds make a big difference too. Some are really sensitive to anathezia. I've been told that I really have to watch that with my pyrs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I updated on my other post that Chance as of 3 am in the morning is just fine.
Now to get this boy to calm down. He is also licking his incision a lot and that is concerning me that it may hinder the healing process?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I updated on my other post that Chance as of 3 am in the morning is just fine.
Now to get this boy to calm down. He is also licking his incision a lot and that is concerning me that it may hinder the healing process?
Did they give you an Elizabethan collar to prevent that?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
you dont want him licking the incision it will hinder the healing process,,you also want to take him out on leash only, no racing around/no jumping..You could try putting some ice on the area(don't let your neighbors seeing you do that LOL),,or you might have to put a 'cone' on him if he doesn't stop with the licking..

Just watch for any excessive swelling, (my male was neutered late, all it took was one race around the yard, and bam, his testicles looked like they came back bigger than ever!)...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
His running around acting like a goofball is once we are back in the house.
No, they didn't give me a cone, but I am calling them in 30 minutes when they open, and ask them for one. He is constantly going at the incision.

·
Registered
134 Posts
O yes definitely get a cone! Even with the cone our guy managed to get to the top two stitches which then had to be left in 4 days longer and we had to put on antibiotic cream.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I much prefer the soft E-collars as opposed to the hard plastic ones. When they jam into the back of your leg with those hard plastic ones, it really hurts.

Petco sells an inflatable E-collar that works well as long as you get the right size.

They might be called comfy cones or something like that.

Glad to hear your little man in on the mend.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I think Kong makes an inflatable collar too, saw them at Petsmart. I'm not looking forward to Stosh's neutering, probably won't happen for 6 mos or so.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I think Kong makes an inflatable collar too, saw them at Petsmart. I'm not looking forward to Stosh's neutering, probably won't happen for 6 mos or so.
There is a soft collar I got at Petco, I used it for Abby when she was spayed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We left our girl get on the couch the second night, well she helped herself I should say. We wont kick her off as long as humans can sit down and she gets up.

73lb lap dog.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts