German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok..what the ??

I let Chance outside. He vomited twice and diarrhea.
He is not acting sick, but has not really eating anything today.
Should he still be having issues with the changing of his diet? It has been nearly a week.
I am feeding him EVO chicken dry.
Should I be concerned? Advice needed!:help:

So much for training him to hold his bladder longer. That will wait now.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Because he just came out of the shelter, I would call the vet. It could be the food, he might just have a bug, or it could be something that needs medical attention.

Fast him for the next 24 hours. Water only. Then reintroduce food with chicken and rice (I use brown rice)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would imagine it is stress related (new home, new people, new diet, new - EVERYTHING). I would give him some chicken and rice (double boiled) and maybe some pumpkin to settle his tummy. This is what I do when my dogs get sick (and it's not serious):

1 cup double boiled rice
1 chicken, cubed
1 tsp. pumpkin
1 boiled sweet potatoe, mashed

I mix it all up and give them it over 2 meals.

Is his vomit bile? Is there anything in it?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Are you going a gradual switch over? Opinions vary, but we took about 3 weeks to switch foods with our dog just because we had that much of the old food left over.

It's also possible that he could be getting overfed. That will cause runny stools in some dogs.

Of course, it could be a lot of other things as well. I'm sure you'll get some help here.

I was going to ask about treats as well.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I would imagine it is stress related (new home, new people, new diet, new - EVERYTHING). I would give him some chicken and rice (double boiled) and maybe some pumpkin to settle his tummy. This is what I do when my dogs get sick (and it's not serious):

1 cup double boiled rice
1 chicken, cubed
1 tsp. pumpkin
1 boiled sweet potatoe, mashed

I mix it all up and give them it over 2 meals.

Is his vomit bile? Is there anything in it?
1 chicken? bones?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
How often is the vomit and diarrhea? If it is frequent take the dog to the vet as it is at risk for dehydration. If a one time thing do what someone else recommended by fasting for 24hrs then a bland diet like white rice and boiled chicken, and or rice with some chicken broth. Start out in equal, very small portions.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How often is the vomit and diarrhea? If it is frequent take the dog to the vet as it is at risk for dehydration. If a one time thing do what someone else recommended by fasting for 24hrs then a bland diet like white rice and boiled chicken, and or rice with some chicken broth. Start out in equal, very small portions.
He only vomited the 2x and it was a minute apart. Nothing since. His eyes look clear. His facial expressions do not look like he is feeling sick.
Ok, I have brown rice. I will do that instead and watch my boy to see

·
Registered
682 Posts
He only vomited the 2x and it was a minute apart. Nothing since. His eyes look clear. His facial expressions do not look like he is feeling sick.
Ok, I have brown rice. I will do that instead and watch my boy to see

IMO, I would take the dog to the vet, I just went through almost the same thing with my dog, pooping water out her butt and vomiting and she did get dehydrated and needed an IV, take him to the vet to be sure.

I was also feeding EVO but it was the beef formula.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I'm so sorry Chance isn't feeling well. My girl is allergic to chicken. My vet is a big time shepherd guy. Year ago, he told me to fry up really lean ground beef, drain off all the grease and mix with All Bran cereal. I do this every time my dog has one of these types of upsets. She gets a hand full at a time through out the day and ice cubes. No water. As she improves, I start mixing her regular food in with beef and All Bran. No idea why this works, but I've been doing it for the past 11 years and it works like charm.

I hope Chance is feeling better soon. He might need to see the vet.

Big hugs to you and Chance,
Jan

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMO, I would take the dog to the vet, I just went through almost the same thing with my dog, pooping water out her butt and vomiting and she did get dehydrated and needed an IV, take him to the vet to be sure.

I was also feeding EVO but it was the beef formula.
He is drinking water, is acting okay as he just brought me his one toy to play with.
I am going to watch him for another hour or so and see how it goes before running to the vet.
Boiling brown rice now as I type this.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Immodium AD works quickly and is OK for dogs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so sorry Chance isn't feeling well. My girl is allergic to chicken. My vet is a big time shepherd guy. Year ago, he told me to fry up really lean ground beef, drain off all the grease and mix with All Bran cereal. I do this every time my dog has one of these types of upsets. She gets a hand full at a time through out the day and ice cubes. No water. As she improves, I start mixing her regular food in with beef and All Bran. No idea why this works, but I've been doing it for the past 11 years and it works like charm.

I hope Chance is feeling better soon. He might need to see the vet.

Big hugs to you and Chance,
Jan
SIGH...I get the best food I can with what is available out here in BACKWOODS country, and I hope to God that it is not something with the EVO.
How about lean ground beef with brown rice since I am boiling that now?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Immodium AD works quickly and is OK for dogs.
Get out of town! Really?!
Okay, so how much for around a 50-55 pound dog then?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay..what is normal for a dog's temp rectally?
he is going to hate me..............

·
5,627 Posts
up to 102 is normal.

If you have a good ear thermometer, I have gotten very accurate readings with those (confirmed at the vet an hour later).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
up to 102 is normal.

If you have a good ear thermometer, I have gotten very accurate readings with those (confirmed at the vet an hour later).

Don't laugh cause I have the feeling I am about to sound like an idiot..

ear thermometer stuck in where exactly?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Get out of town! Really?!
Okay, so how much for around a 50-55 pound dog then?
1 pill 2 times per day

google the following fior more info

is immodium safe for dogs

·
Registered
682 Posts
He is drinking water, is acting okay as he just brought me his one toy to play with.
I am going to watch him for another hour or so and see how it goes before running to the vet.
Boiling brown rice now as I type this.
My girl was acting good as well but was dehydrated and needed IV fluids, at least call the vet.

I'm not going against anyone on this board but unless they are a vet, I'm not taking advise from no one when it comes to vomiting and runny stools.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
up to 102 is normal.

true, 101 is normal

1 - 20 of 46 Posts