German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honestly, I am so upset with how Chance is being. He is walking sooooo slowly. Well, basically like someone who just had their testicles removed.

However, I just took this pic of him. After talking to him for 10 minutes so he would get out of the car, it took another 5 just to get him into the house. He literally is 3 steps from the door in this pic. He collapsed right there on the kitchen floor and has not moved since.

PLEASE tell me that I did the right thing here and he will be okay come morning?! I am feeling HORRIBLE right now.
I asked the vet when he had the surgery and she said he was the first one done this morning at 9 am. For crying out loud, it is now almost 6 pm.
This is normal?!!
:(:(

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's not abnormal. Different dogs process anesthesia differently, but when Tara had surgery last year, she was the same way. Came home, passed out and didn't wake up till the next morning.

I would just monitor his gum color (should be light pink) and his temperature this evening.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
From experience it takes HOURS for the anesthesia to wear off. And if they give pain meds for them too, that will leave them VERY loopy. Jazzi didn't walk for 7 hours post op. Willow my cat, didn't stand UP at all for roughly six either.....

Just make sure that Chance is opening his eyes at least once an hour but he is TIRED he just went through a MAJOR surgery and from what I know, this is VERY COMMON from our experiences!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
All dogs handle anesthesia different.
He is VERY sore and sleepy.

Tomorrow he is still going to be sore but each day it will get better and better.
It stinks when they don't feel well :(

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
He's probably just a little "loopy" from the pain meds. I'm sure he'll be fine soon enough and when he's driving you nuts wanting to run around, you'll look back and wish he was still sleepy.

He'll forgive you. (I would never forgive the VET, if it was me..........lol)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
BTW, you can carry him to a softer surface so he can sleep more comfortably and in a location where you spend a lot of your time, so when he does open his eyes and he doesn't have the ability to walk around just yet, he can still see you and feel secure. I'm sure he isn't aware of what happened quite yet. So I spoiled my babies and made them EXTRA comfortable... <3

We carried Jazzi and Killian after they were sedated because of how wobbly and tired they are...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew..okay. Thanks all.
I was thinking that maybe he should be a little bit more aware than he is. It is like he is looking through me when I talk to him.

I keep repeating, I did the right thing...I did the right thing...he will be alright..he will be alright...

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
all of the above^^^:) He'll be fine, he just needs some rest and quiet..He probably didn't get much of either at the vets office..

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He's been through a lot the past few weeks and now this--don't worry he'll be ok. When our female was spayed she came home, curled up under my husband's desk and didn't move until the next morning, then she was back to her old self.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I keep repeating, I did the right thing...I did the right thing...he will be alright..he will be alright...
You did; anyway your sig says hes from a shelter so dont they require neutering anyway?

When I picked my 5 year old terrier up from neutering they told me he'd been playing with his toy in the recovery cage...he fell over/asleep for a second when I was paying the bill but after that he acted his usual hyper self!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You did; anyway your sig says hes from a shelter so dont they require neutering anyway?QUOTE]

No requirement just that it would be great if I did. I didn't have to sign anything in regards to that.

He just walked to his comfy bed I have for him in the living room and is sleeping now.
Before he just laid here with his eyes open. It was a bit freaky looking. His eyes are VERY droopy and all red.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, a BIG thank you to everyone.
Before today the people I had talked to in regards to his neutering said how it was no big deal, how their dog didn't act like anything had happened, blah..blah.
So when I saw THIS..I freaked out thinking he was having a bad post surgery episode.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Speaking from the male perspective, if someone did THAT to me, I'd want to be as drugged up as possible for as long as possible............just sayin'.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speaking from the male perspective, if someone did THAT to me, I'd want to be as drugged up as possible for as long as possible............just sayin'.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
485 Posts
When my friend had her lab done, she insisted that he go to the Vet Hospital so he could get IV narcotics after his surgery. When her husband complained about the price (almost double), she said that she would do the same to him and then not give him narcotics after. He got the narcotics :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You thought someone having there tets removed was going to walk normal afterwards? They don't recommend a bag of peas for nothing dear.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Poor Chance! It was hard on Niko too! But he felt MUCH better the next day, and in fact overdid it and ended up with some unwanted swelling. Keep Chance very low key (just walks for potty) and he'll heal up faster.

Good luck with the frozen peas. That actually does help. LOL!

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
That's why most vets keep neuters and spays overnight! so they can sleep it off and the owners don't worry!! Like everyone says - he's woozy from the meds...

Lee

·
Registered
32,012 Posts
Nero was still wobbling HOURS after his neuter. My friend, who is a vet tech at the clinic, brought him home with her and I picked him up after work. So it was at least 8 hours after his surgery. Jax was wobbly after hers and slept all day just from being knocked out for hip xrays. When she had surgery it took her days to be right again.

I wouldn't get to concerned.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts