German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, he was pacing throughout the house tonight. First time since getting him that he has acted a bit edgy.
This poor guy hasn't experienced a lot of things due to always being outside and away from the normal indoor activities that go on.
I attached here a pic of him looking at the TV. It is funny and also sad when you think about it.
He will run from one side of the TV screen to the other. Ears perked and small ruuuuff ruuuuff's at those weird beings on the wall.
I decided that it was time for him to go to bed now. I put him in his crate and NOT HAPPY! Crying barking..like an 8 week old puppy. I have the crate at this time by the side of my bed. He did settle down within a couple of minutes though. Thank goodness.
We are currently having another home we own being gutted from top to bottom. He will have his own room when that is finished, but for the time being he will be in mine. He may also be feeling a bit better right now cause he is directly in view of the LR and can see me. He did lift his leg once today on a silk plant of mine. All I could think of saying was "No, outside" and let him out in back.
I also have pics here I took of him today. He LOVES Matt, my 22 yr old son. They had a ball playing today and it almost looks like Chance is smiling. You can see how his tail is wagging. :D
Other pics were him looking at the snow outside. He really is a gem.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't WAIT btw, until he gets bathed. I have been brushing him and he seems to really enjoy that. He had a lot of dried on eeewwwwies.
While he is knocked out at the vets next Thursday having his peas removed, he is going to have his teeth cleaned as well. Way too much tartar for a guy this young. :mad: :(

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Poor guy is probably wondering what in the world is going on. He sounds like he's getting used to it pretty fast, though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention something else that I need suggestions on so I can try or not try different methods to see what works with him.
He has not eaten tonight.
He ate this morning like a trooper. Last night like a trooper. Tonight. Nothing.
I am really leaning going to raw. I have tried reading up on this forum about it, but do not really understand some of their abbreviations for things. I am not too worried yet, but it is bugging me a bit that he is not eating. He is underweight and had a lot of activity today playing with Matt and also with me out in the snow and in the house. I would think he would have been ravenous??

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Get him a soup bone or raw fresh knucklebone from the butcher. That will help clean his teeth til you get him in. Because he was only fed once at the shelter he may be use to getting only one meal a day? I would feed him from your hand for a week or two and use some of it for training/bonding. He looks like he is so happy with you, even if he is a bit confused by all the changes.
If you do want to start w/raw, just keep reading, every question has been asked and asked again in the raw threads!!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
EMarie - a suggestion - if you go to the rescue stories and where are they now section and start a thread and keep that one thread, everyone can follow the story much better (and link to the old threads - because if someone doesn't know the back story they lose some of the idea of what you are talking about in the current thread) and everyone knows where to look.

Or you can do it this way!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get him a soup bone or raw fresh knucklebone from the butcher. That will help clean his teeth til you get him in. Because he was only fed once at the shelter he may be use to getting only one meal a day? I would feed him from your hand for a week or two and use some of it for training/bonding. He looks like he is so happy with you, even if he is a bit confused by all the changes.
If you do want to start w/raw, just keep reading, every question has been asked and asked again in the raw threads!!
Ooh! Okay, thanks Jane.

How do I handle him when he goes to lift his leg in the house? I hate to admit this, but my first reaction was to yell out NO!, cause I was caught off guard, but I didn't. I was just firm in my tone, and led him out back.
Is that how I should handle him? That is my guy feeling on it, but if people have tricks or whatever, I am so open to hear them.
It has been years since puppy training, and I am guessing I need to handle him the same.
Thanks
Eileen

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EMarie - a suggestion - if you go to the rescue stories and where are they now section and start a thread and keep that one thread, everyone can follow the story much better (and link to the old threads - because if someone doesn't know the back story they lose some of the idea of what you are talking about in the current thread) and everyone knows where to look.

Or you can do it this way!
Jean, thank you, I will!!!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Handle it the same as with a puppy. If you catch him in the act of pottying inside interrupt him (I say "uh uh" instead of "no") and take him outside. When he goes PRAISE the heck out of him and treat.

If you do not catch him, no correction. Clean with an enzyme cleaner so the smell is gone or he will do it again.

If you are not able to watch him crate him until he is house broken. If he is trying to sneak off, tie him to you.

Looks like he is handling all the changes in stride. Happy cute boy :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts