German Shepherds Forum banner

Chance and House Breaking?

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  PaddyD 
#1 ·
I am guessing that maybe this guy having been used to peeing whenever he felt like it, is the reason why he wants to go out and pee every 2-3 hours.
I will let him out at night before bed (9-10pm) and he will be whining come 1 am.
During the day he doesn't whine to be let outside, but he will start pacing and keep standing by the glass doors looking outside.
Has he lifted his leg inside since that 1 time on my silk plant?
No, but who is the one trained here? :rolleyes: I am wondering if it is more like in the cartoon below... :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Was he a kennel dog? He will build up his bladder resistance over time. Habits are hard to break but not impossible. Good luck and hang in there.

#3 ·
Was he a kennel dog? He will build up his bladder resistance over time. Habits are hard to break but not impossible. Good luck and hang in there.
Pat,
Chance and another dog were tied up out in a backyard 24/7. So he has had 2-3 yrs of going whenever he wanted.

What I am planning on starting today is to mark down the time Chance has gone out, and extend the time in gradual increments.
So, let's say he acts like he has to go out again in 3 hours. After that will be 3 hours 15 mins, and so on. Train him to hold his bladder.
This is the only thing I can think of to try.

#5 ·
What I am planning on starting today is to mark down the time Chance has gone out, and extend the time in gradual increments.
So, let's say he acts like he has to go out again in 3 hours. After that will be 3 hours 15 mins, and so on. Train him to hold his bladder.
This is the only thing I can think of to try.
That sounds like a great plan.

As far as the 1am trips, are you restricting water after a certain time? My dogs don't get anymore water after they've had their last potty for the night.

#6 ·
That sounds like a great plan.

As far as the 1am trips, are you restricting water after a certain time? My dogs don't get anymore water after they've had their last potty for the night.
Oh yeah on the water pulled up. That started on Day 2. :D

He was out at 1AM then was acting like his bladder was going to explode at 4:10AM

At about 7:15 AM or so, he started his pacing around the house, going to the back door, running back in the kitchen, so on and so forth.
I grabbed his lead and put him in a down/stay by me while I was doing things on the puter, and he laid here acting fine and even fell asleep.
I waited until about 7:45, took off his lead and asked him if he wanted outside.
Then he went outside, he did his business and came right back in.
He has been kind of running me ragged not knowing when he really had to go, when he just wanted to play and roll around in the snow out there, etc.
So I am going to start having scheduled play time/walks outside and then after that..too bad buddy!
I am not going to let him squirm. When I did the down stay with him this morning, he seemed okay and was wagging his tail, then dropped off to sleep.
If he was still acting agitated, I wouldn't have had him wait so long.

#4 ·
I think that's a great idea! Chance is very lucky to have found such a smart and caring owner.

#7 ·
If he has to go that often, you might want to have your vet check him for a UTI of some kind. Just to be sure. I think he's going in later this week for a bunch of stuff, so you might mention it to his vet.
Mine generally go 7-8 hours overnight with no problem. Once in a great while they'll come and wake one of us, but that doesn't happen much.

#8 ·
If he has to go that often, you might want to have your vet check him for a UTI of some kind. Just to be sure. I think he's going in later this week for a bunch of stuff, so you might mention it to his vet.
Mine generally go 7-8 hours overnight with no problem. Once in a great while they'll come and wake one of us, but that doesn't happen much.
You know, I was wondering about that myself. :confused:
Doing the "what ifs?"
My gut feeling is no, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So thanks I will add that to my list for the vet.

There have been way too many times that he would be acting like OMG!! and I would run to the door to let him out, he'd RUN to the backyard and then just stand there looking at the sky or whatever. Then his rolling around totally acting insane in the snow would start.

He is such a goof. :smirk:

#9 ·
Look at the bright side, at least ONE of you is getting trained.....LOL.

We've had about 2 inches or so of snow overnight and my dogs love the snow. I heard the wife let them out before she went to work around 5:45. At 6:30 they came in the bedroom (I was awake, watching the news) and starting doing their "potty dance".
I told them to go lay down and they both went to their beds and that was the last of that.
You'll figure him out.

#11 ·
You don't think it is an anxiety/restless thing? like maybe when you fall to sleep, he gets nervous and is not sure how to settle down? or misses the other dog?
My older GSD use to pace through the house whining at night. I never did figure out why but I got her a bed to sleep next to me at night and now she sleeps through the night.
I crate the others and there are times they act like they have to go pee, but then run outside to grab a toy in the yard at 3 am!! LOL

#13 ·
Good question., but no.
This little pooper does it during the day too. When I put him in his crate at night he can see me and although he is not thrilled with it, he does this groan of sorts, whines for 20 seconds, FLOPS down, sighs, and then not a peep until that 3 hour mark.
His wanting to go out reminds me of Lassie Come Home like he has some kind of alarm in him that every 3 hours that he has to go outside.
I am thinking he is used to being out there a lot. We'll go for walks, play out there, etc. There are too many times he has fooled me in between the 3 hours and just wants to roll around in the snow.
At 1 am he definitely had a decent pee as I watched him out there.
Same thing with after 4.

#16 ·
Yep, here we goooo! 10:23 am and he is starting with that pacing wanting to go outside. How weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.