German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was standing here a while ago wondering why Chance is not eating much at all. Then it dawned on me that he wasn't drinking much water as well. Not like he did when we were at the hotel together.
So, I am standing here wondering "What changed?"

His feeding bowls? Nah..but what if?
I had bought cheapo bowls for the trip (1st pic, this was around $2.00)

When we had gotten home, we set up his new bowls (2nd pic, these were $32.00)
So I went ahead and transferred some food and water in the cheapo bowls.
He wolfed the food down and then drank a bunch of water.
Are you KIDDING ME?? :shocked:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Go figure!!!

Some people would rather eat a good hamburger instead of a good steak.
As guess as long as he's eating, it's all good.

:gsdbeggin:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
For some reason I can't see the pics. I can see the border where it says "attached thumbnails" but no pics.

Anyway, I have absolutely no answer for you. Maybe he is just a blue collar kinda dog and don't like them stinkin' high dollar dishes!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go figure!!!

Some people would rather eat a good hamburger instead of a good steak.
As guess as long as he's eating, it's all good.

:gsdbeggin:
Yeah..I forget that this guy was living in a backyard and not served Grey Poupon with his meals...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although I prefer the metal bowls to plastic, I would not feed off an elevated feeder. I'm 100% sure that is one of the main reasons my GSD bloated.
WOW..the MAIN reason I bought the elevated ones is due to the fact that they claim it PREVENTS bloat if higher off the ground.
Good grief..I give up. :confused:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I too feed on the ground and do not exercise my dog 1.5 hours before and after meals to prevent bloat. I suggest you feed in bowls on the ground. I take the fancy bowls back and by him a new toy or a steak.... Lol ;) Can we see a pic of the little guy?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
There's info on threads in here about both elevated and non-elevated food bowls. I think it's one of those things that comes down to preference and personal experience.

If it makes you feel better, try the stainless bowls on the floor.....lol.

We use a HUGE stainless bowl we got at Target for water and some cheaper plastic bowls for food. Our main thing about the food bowls is that they skid all over the floor. We just run them through the dishwasher once in a while and when they get too nasty, we just pick up new bowls.

I guess it comes down to what someone wise once said:
"The best food for your dog is the one that they'll eat."

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
WOW..the MAIN reason I bought the elevated ones is due to the fact that they claim it PREVENTS bloat if higher off the ground.
Good grief..I give up. :confused:
That was the belief at first, but then they changed their minds. If you do a search, you will find how elevated bowls do NOT prevent bloat, on the very contrary.

I was observing my dog the day he bloated and he was inhaling so much air while eating, then I observed him after throwing away the elevated feeders and eating from a regular bowl, big difference! Of course it didn't help that my dog is an aggressive eater. Now he eats from a Break-fast bowl.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was the belief at first, but then they changed their minds. If you do a search, you will find how elevated bowls do NOT prevent bloat, on the very contrary.

I was observing my dog the day he bloated and he was inhaling so much air while eating, then I observed him after throwing away the elevated feeders and eating from a regular bowl, big difference! Of course it didn't help that my dog is an aggressive eater. Now he is from a Break-fast bowl.
UGH! I am calling my other son now. He has been using these with his Dobe.
I can't return these as I removed labels, etc. So..I will keep the metal bowls. They are now on the floor.
Thanks for the heads up!
Geez..I think I am doing the best I can for my boy and I am going to end up killing him! :(

·
Registered
485 Posts
My mom dogsits a shih tzu that won't eat out of stainless steel bowls in a light room. At home his are in a dark mud room, but at my mom's house they're in the kitchen and the reflection (?) or something bothers him and he won't eat. She puts his food and water in plastic containers and he scarfs it down :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just went through a water bowl ordeal at my house, lol.

When I adopted my Bichon directly from his previous owners (clients at my job) he came with 2 little stainless steel bowls - 1 for food, 1 for water. My GSD has a stainless steel bowl for food, but a plastic bowl for water that came with his wooden bowl-elevating stand.

Well, my GSD Ruger became determined to drink out of the Bichon's water bowl - which 1. is not nearly so elevated, and 2. often left the little guy short of water, lol.

Our 13yr. old "family dog" GSD Sarge was PTS a couple weeks ago, my mother was organizing his things and decided Ruger should inherit his sire's stainless steel bowl.

Well as soon as I made 1 bowl into a water bowl, Ruger could care less about the Bichon's bowl - who knew?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Mickey my working line Siberian Husky would INHALE his food. I now feed him on a large baking pan. It really slows him down. His water bowl, stainless steel sits in a plastic bowl and that prevents it from sliding and easily turning over.

Powell

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just caught the part about the elevated bowls - hmm, my GSD Ruger had bloated 3x and was cured using a tube but last June he bloated a 4th time really bad and had to have surgery. His stomach is now tacked.. so is food elevation even an issue now?

His sire lived 13 years, and his dam lived 10 years, both ate elevated their whole lives and never had bloat. But the GSD I had as a child lived 12 years eating at ground-level and never had bloat.

So... I have no clue.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I don't think elevated bowls cause bloat. The study cited has all kinds of problems with it. The only known common factor in dogs who have bloated is stress.

I have fed two dogs in elevated bowls and they never bloated. Two of my other dogs who were not fed in elevated bowls both bloated. I really don't think that's something to worry about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts