German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAD NEWS......
HELLO EVERYONE....I JUST SPOKE WITH CHAMP'S VET AND HIS KIDNEYS ARE NOT FUNCTIONING VERY WELL...HE SAYS THAT HE'S NOT ALARMED AT CHAMP'S NUMBERS (9.0) NORMAL BEING 0.2 AS HE'S SEEN SOME NUMBERS AT 35. +....HE THINKS IT COULD BE POSSIBLE THAT CHAMP MAY HAVE CUSHING'S DISEASE......HE SAID THAT HE IS READING UP ON THE ATOPICA TO SEE IF THIS COULD CAUSE HIS KIDNEYS TO ACT THIS WAY...BUT IF THAT ISN'T THE CASE THEN HE WOULD HAVE TO DO 2 BLOODTESTS ON CHAMP TO RULE OUT CUSHINGS......
I'M SO AFRAID TO LET CHAMP GO...BUT AT THE SAME TIME I'M SCARED THAT ALL OF THESE MEDS WILL END UP KILLING HIM.....I'M SO SCARED THAT I'M LITERALLY SICK TO MY STOMACH RIGHT NOW......I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OR WHERE TO TURN...I REALLY NEED SOME SERIOUS ADVICE....I'M PRAYING FOR A MIRACLE....I'M SO SORRY TO BURDEN EVERYONE ON HERE, BUT I HAVE KNOWHERE ELSE TO TURN...AND YOU ALL HAVE TRUELY BECOME MY COMFORT AND MY ROCK.... I WAS TOO UPSET TO EVEN TALK TO HIS VET WHE HE CALLED AND FORGOT TO ASK...IS THIS SOMETHING THAT CAN KILL HIM SINCE HE ALSO HAS THE PEMPHIGUS AND THYROID ISSUE? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW...HAS ANYONE DEALT WITH THIS DISEASE BEFORE? I AM LOOKING IT UP ON THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW.

JEWEL

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Jewel, I am so sorry. I don't know anything about cushing's disease, but hopefully someone else will. I just wanted to say that I am praying for you and Champ and your family. Feel free to give me a call if you need to talk.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I changed the header so that people would see this.

I'm so sorry that Champ's kidneys aren't doing well. My dog Chama was tested for Cushing's disease (just the first step and her values weren't high enough to indicate further testing) and I remember another dog on here recently was also tested. I know that Cushing's is treatable but don't know much more about it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much...I really appreciate that...I was tempted to call you yesterday, but I was so down that I didn't want to stress you with my depression....Maybe when I can talk about this without crying I'll give you a call...Thank you again
Originally Posted By: jazy's momJewel, I am so sorry. I don't know anything about cushing's disease, but hopefully someone else will. I just wanted to say that I am praying for you and Champ and your family. Feel free to give me a call if you need to talk.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Re:Rescues in Knoxville,TN

You are lucky to have Jazy's mom, that is for sure.

I don't know-does he look like a Cushing's dog? And he's young for it. It may be a drug induced thing. I wonder if he has the MDR1 (or whatever it is) sensitivity and that is causing some drug reactions-not even sure if that is possible?

Lots of information (some way over my head) plus links to other sites:
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html one of the links-an easier quicker read to start with: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_cushing_symptoms.html

Is he talking about his BUN and creatinine like in kidney problems?

Nice info on bloodwork in case they don't explain it well: http://www.thepetcenter.com/pha/cp.html

More on kidneys (I know it says failure-which is scary-but have seen dogs on IMOM live a long time with CRF): http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_chronic_renal_failure.html

There is a suspected connection with atopica/cyclosporine with the MDR1 mutation: http://www.miniaussierescue.org/BusterAlert/MDR1VetFactSheetLK9-8-07.doc

This was part of Simone's problem on IMOM. Have your vet call the UT vets.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you....
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI changed the header so that people would see this.

I'm so sorry that Champ's kidneys aren't doing well. My dog Chama was tested for Cushing's disease (just the first step and her values weren't high enough to indicate further testing) and I remember another dog on here recently was also tested. I know that Cushing's is treatable but don't know much more about it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree she is very sweet!
oK...these are the symptoms of Cushing's I have marked yes to the symptoms that Champ has...alot of these symtopms are also symptoms of Pemphigus...the excessives water drinking a frequent urinating didn't start until Champ started the Atopica...which is why Champ's vet seems to think that it could be medicine induced..

The most common symptoms include:
• increased/excessive water consumption (polydipsia)-YES
• increased/excessive urination (polyuria)-YES
• urinary accidents in previously housetrained dogs-YES
• increased/excessive appetite (polyphagia)-NO
• appearance of food stealing/guarding, begging, trash -dumping, etc.-NO
• sagging, bloated, pot-bellied appearance-NO
• weight gain or its appearance, due to fat redistribution-NO
• loss of muscle mass, giving the appearance of weight loss-YES
• bony, skull-like appearance of head-YES
• exercise intolerance, lethargy, general or hind-leg weakness-YES
• new reluctance to jump on furniture or people-YES
• excess panting, seeking cool surfaces to rest on-NO
• symmetrically thinning hair or baldness (alopecia) on torso-YES
• other coat changes like dullness, dryness-NO
• slow regrowth of hair after clipping-NO
• thin, wrinkled, fragile, and/or darkly pigmented skin-YES
• easily damaged/bruised skin that heals slowly-YES
• hard, calcified lumps in the skin (calcinosis cutis)-YES
• susceptibility to infections (especially skin and urinary)YES
• diabetes, pancreatitis, seizures -NO

quote=JeanKBBMMMAAN]You are lucky to have Jazy's mom, that is for sure.

I don't know-does he look like a Cushing's dog? And he's young for it. It may be a drug induced thing. I wonder if he has the MDR1 (or whatever it is) sensitivity and that is causing some drug reactions-not even sure if that is possible?

Lots of information (some way over my head) plus links to other sites:
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html one of the links-an easier quicker read to start with: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_cushing_symptoms.html

Is he talking about his BUN and creatinine like in kidney problems?

Nice info on bloodwork in case they don't explain it well: http://www.thepetcenter.com/pha/cp.html[/quote]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If his kidneys are having issues it can be a wide variety of things, Cushing’s is just one of the causes of kidney failure....this could be just a time period issue, meaning while his body is struggling and he is on so many meds, that his kidney levels are bad...meaning with kidney support you can get him through this crisis without too much damage....

One of my foster dogs is in chronic renal failure, we support him with a modified diet that I cook for him....kidneys issues are complicated and all those symptoms that you put yes to can be associated with decreased kidney function, not just caused by Cushing’s disease.

What blood tests were run? You need to do a complete Super Chem or at least a renal panel with CBC and urinalysis to get a complete picture of how the kidneys are functioning. Then the key is to address the kidney issues, not just figure out what caused it...

Does your vet have much experience with kidney issues? If not, it might be good to have the blood results looked at by the vet school...they would have the most up to date treatment options for you....most will advise you to get on a prescription kidney diet (kibble) but I highly recommend home cooking so you can adjust levels specific to him....check out the K9 Kidneydiet yahoo group, they are awesome....so much info!!!

This is a great info site too: http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His vet did a Urinalysis-this determined the Kidney issues....Before doing this he did a" Superchem CBC T4
He now says that he needs to do more blood work...and will call me today to let me know for sure after he researches his meds and finds out if this is related to them.... His pH was 7.5(HIGH) and Specific Gravity was 1.003 (LOW) Everything else on the test showed to be within Reference Range....He had a Urine Microalbumin test done and that is what showed the numbers to be 0.9
Originally Posted By: Avamom
If his kidneys are having issues it can be a wide variety of things, Cushing’s is just one of the causes of kidney failure....this could be just a time period issue, meaning while his body is struggling and he is on so many meds, that his kidney levels are bad...meaning with kidney support you can get him through this crisis without too much damage....

One of my foster dogs is in chronic renal failure, we support him with a modified diet that I cook for him....kidneys issues are complicated and all those symptoms that you put yes to can be associated with decreased kidney function, not just caused by Cushing’s disease.

What blood tests were run? You need to do a complete Super Chem or at least a renal panel with CBC and urinalysis to get a complete picture of how the kidneys are functioning. Then the key is to address the kidney issues, not just figure out what caused it...

Does your vet have much experience with kidney issues? If not, it might be good to have the blood results looked at by the vet school...they would have the most up to date treatment options for you....most will advise you to get on a prescription kidney diet (kibble) but I highly recommend home cooking so you can adjust levels specific to him....check out the K9 Kidneydiet yahoo group, they are awesome....so much info!!!

This is a great info site too: http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Jewel, I am so sorry to hear the update on Champ.

Sometimes things get worse before they get better. Please keep the faith, that he will pull through this will flying colors.

Hugs and prayers to both of you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So sorry to hear more bad news on Champ.

I hope they find that it is a reaction to all the meds.

Keep your chin up, you have come such a long way.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
couple things to ponder..

When I had my aussie tested for cushings, I believe it was a two step blood test,,

Something I found while cruising my dog med books, Champ also resembles a picture I found of a dog who has ZINC deficiency..
Maybe ask about that? From what I read, it's easily treatable..

However, he does resemble pics of dogs with low thyroid..and phemingus(sp)..

My aussie is an MDR1 (mutant/mutant) carrier,,she cannot take alot of pretty common as well as not common drugs, as they could literally kill her...atopica/cyclo is one of them. There are some GSD's that DO carry this gene..It can be tested for via WSU
very simple mouth swab, they send you the kit
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/

My male GSD was on atopica for 3 months..(treatment of perianal fistula's) there are alot of side effects to the drug..I had blood work done/as well as kidney liver function tests done every 3 wks..It CAN affect kidneys/liver,,some dogs can not tolerate it well, lethargy, vomiting, diarhea..

Something to think about to,,,Personally, (and I'm no vet),,I would try using Desitin (as in baby diaper rash creme very easily bought and cheap over the counter),,on his sores..

My male aussie gets nasty nasty fungus sores, and I use this to clear them up..One thing, you do NOT want the dog licking this stuff..It is soothing tho and healing. (in fact alot of us use this on our PF dogs butts:)))

I would most likely run a Cushings test on him, to rule it in or out..
I would give the thyroid meds a chance to kick in, because if its as SIMPLE as thyroid issue,,well heck go for it :))))

How long has he been on the atopica?? And whats the dose?
When on atopica, "trough" tests should be done (and sorry but that isn't cheap),,to test the levels of the drug in system,,to low or to high a dose, and frankly it's a waste of money because it won't have the affect it supposed to.. The problem with atopica, is, it's an immune suppressing drug,,it's shutting down the immune system to hopefully, "Stop" what's going on,,in doing so, it can leave the dog open to a host of "other" things to crop up..

Please keep us updated.
Diane

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Diane,
Thanks for this information...
Champ is taking 300mgs of Atopica every 24hrs...He has been on it for a month on the 16th....the first two weeks after taking it, his energy spiked and his sores started to dry out and turn white instead of red and oozing....then he just went back to how he was before...

Right now he is very weak and sleeps alot...and will only eat if I'm sitting next to him....he is also trying to eat his poop....he is constantly drinking water and his paws are starting to bleed....

His ears are still really bad so he's still shaking his head alot....although last night I began to use Medihoney just on the top of his head where it was also bloody and oozing puss....when I woke up this morning to check his dressings the gauze pad was full of puss, but his head was clean and dry....it had also turned kinda brown where the sores have started to heal

He will hopefully be having the test for Cushings today....I'm waiting for his vet to call me and give me a price and appointment time.....

I will keep everyone posted.....thanks agaib for this information..

Jewel
Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OAcouple things to ponder..

When I had my aussie tested for cushings, I believe it was a two step blood test,,

Something I found while cruising my dog med books, Champ also resembles a picture I found of a dog who has ZINC deficiency..

My aussie is an MDR1 (mutant/mutant) carrier,,she cannot take alot of pretty common as well as not common drugs, as they could literally kill her...atopica/cyclo is one of them. There are some GSD's that DO carry this gene..It can be tested for via WSU

My male GSD was on atopica for 3 months..(treatment of perianal fistula's) there are alot of side effects to the drug..I had blood work done/as well as kidney liver function tests done every 3 wks..It CAN affect kidneys/liver,,some dogs can not tolerate it well, lethargy, vomiting, diarhea..

Something to think about to,,,Personally, (and I'm no vet),,I would try using Desitin (as in baby diaper rash creme very easily bought and cheap over the counter),,on his sores..

My male aussie gets nasty nasty fungus sores, and I use this to clear them up..One thing, you do NOT want the dog licking this stuff..It is soothing tho and healing. (in fact alot of us use this on our PF dogs butts:)))

I would give the thyroid meds a chance to kick in, because if its as SIMPLE as thyroid issue,,well heck go for it :))))

When on atopica, "trough" tests should be done (and sorry but that isn't cheap),,to test the levels of the drug in system,,to low or to high a dose, and frankly it's a waste of money because it won't have the affect it supposed to.. The problem with atopica, is, it's an immune suppressing drug,,it's shutting down the immune system to hopefully, "Stop" what's going on,,in doing so, it can leave the dog open to a host of "other" things to crop up..

Please keep us updated.
Diane

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to ask...what is done for a dog that has MDR1?
Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OAcouple things to ponder..

Please keep us updated.
Diane

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
MDR1 is a 'gene' that a dog may or may not carry...You don't have to 'do' anything,,it does not affect them in anyway..however, if the dog tests as being mutant/mutant (has the gene/would pass it on to offspring),,or normal/mutant ( has the gene / "may" pass it on to offspring)..a long list of drugs (it's on the wsu site) could literally kill the dog if taken..

For example, my aussie is mutant/mutant , she can't take any of the drugs on the "no no" list, so I have to be careful IF she becomes ill what I treat her with..

300mgs of cyclo,,isn't that high,,it's probably about right for his size. but if it's not working NOW,,then it probably either is 1. not the right dosage or 2. just isn't going to work for him..After a month you should see some improvement from the cyclo if it's going to work..Also,,you mention he's trying to eat poop..OH MY,,my male GSD when on cyclo turned into MAJOR poop eater, and continues to this day,,he was NEVER a poop eater prior..so maybe that's also a side effect..

Poor Champ sounds so ill :(((((...I would still try the Desitin on some of his sores..see if that helps..and ask about a zinc deficiency..

There is also this website, where a couple of really good vets frequent..maybe try posting his story there for some "free" vet advice.
http://p069.ezboard.com/fhealthforumfordogsandcatsfrm14

Please let us know about the cushings test..
diane

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi Jewel,
I've read the whole story and it's heartbreaking. Your poor dog is in bad shape and I hope dearly that he'll get better. I'm thinking of you and your story had affected me deeply. I'll keep reading and send thoughts his way and yours.
This must be exhausting for you as well, it's been going on for a long time now. I hope you see some resolution soon.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Everyone,
Champ didn't have his appoinment yesterday. His vet had an emergency come in and couldn't see Champ....He probably won't see him til Friday, because my daughter has her end of season track banquet today.....

On another bad note...Cheryl Kenny From U.T.-Billing called me yesterday and said that she wants her name as well as U.T.'s name removed from any websites.

<span style="color: #666666">***edited by Admin to remove content that is against board rules***</span>

I'm still keeping my faith and I know that God will make a way for Champ to recieve the care that he needs.....
Please continue to pray for us..

Love
Jewel

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Jewel

I know that you feel frustrated and overwhelmed right now. But you and Champ have a huge group of people here who are praying and offering strength to you and Champ.

I know it's hard to have all the support so far away, but please know that we do care greatly for the both of you and we will do whatever we can to try to ease your burden.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts