German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
This is getting a bit off topic, but I’d like to add while my dogs have a great recall and they are always off leash around my property (I live out in the country) when I take my Dobie hiking in well traveled areas he is always leashed. He doesn’t like other dogs and it’s annoying to say the least when other people have their albeit friendly dog roaming off leash that wants to approach me and my dog. Even though you or someone’s else’s dog might be the socialite of the party, others might not be so keen and it’s respectful to keep them contained.

But I also think that a dog needs to also be able to run free, in the right situation. It does something for their soul and nothing can keep a smile off my face watching them.
Right? I know of few greater joys in life than to watch my dogs running free in nature's playground! I would not own dogs if I could never offer them regular bouts of freedom to be just a dog as nature intended. It's what dogs do.

I do agree that people should recall their dogs when out hiking and they encounter other people and dogs.
That is just simply a common courtesy practiced where I live.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
This is why I love taking them to the farm. The joy on their faces when they see me turn into the side road, knowing where we are headed, is just pure gold. 5 acres to run as they please, except Crios, he gets 3 acres because he eats the chicken. We take Crios on the horse rides, and he loves that. Still keep a lead on him though, his recall sucks if he finds anything slightly shiny or more fun that running next to us. He’s the derpiest dog I’ve ever owned. I’m so looking forward to the day I can permanently move there!

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts
Clarify. Fine. If your dog is off leash and it runs at mine. It shouldn't be off leash. If your dog is off leash anywhere where it says "dogs must be on leash" you are in the wrong. If you have to repeat the word COME a dozen times you are in the wrong.
People like to yammer about rights. Well I have the "right" to express myself, that does not mean I can walk around punching people I don't like. I don't care how well behaved you think your dog is, if it is supposed to be leashed, in control, contained or whatever just do it.

By definition an on leash dog is in control regardless of what it is doing on leash because the human is at the very least acting as an anchor. Unless you are talking about again "idiots" who leash a Saint to a six year old for example.

In general the folks like me who go to unreal lengths to get our "out of control" dogs away from people are being responsible so to say that those people are the problem is insulting.

Just a short story: A lady I gave a puppy to told me this heartbreaking story when they applied to adopt. They lived in a small rural-ish area and had for years. They had a grown dog, exact age was I believe 4 or 5. The lived on a quiet dead end road that led to another seldom travelled road and it was at that intersection that the town placed the mailboxes. Every day mom would leash the dog and walk to the mailbox at the end of the road. One morning she could not find the leash but the dog was well trained and well behaved, well used to being off leash, so she opted to forgo the leash. At some point the dog darted across the road after a bunny or a bird and was struck by a car and killed. It was the only time the dog had ever done that. It was the only car that had travelled that road all morning.
The reason I asked for clarification is that your original statement did not say that.

It's the idiots who own the perfect dogs that let them wander off leash and remain loose in yards who are the issue.
A perfect dog doesn't do anything you listed in your clarification. I think your statement would be just as concise and far less offensive if you didn't resort to name calling and sarcasm to try and get a point across.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
@ David Winners I'll try to remember that. And I guess I'll keep my less then perfect dog locked in the house.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't go to a dog park, but I take my dogs to a school after hours behind my house every day and one of my Shepherds will, at times, do this exact behavior with dogs he doesn't know. First off, I watch him closely when a dog we don't know approaches. If he locks on I can usually call him off with a stern verbal correction, but I also have an ecollar on him at all times when we leave the house in case he charges.

In general, he's chill around female dogs and male dogs that ignore him. He also has some neighborhood dogs that he is friendly with and likes to be around. Any male dog that tries to compete with him or challenge him, or play with him will cause him to get dominant and rude very quick. So I don't put him in those situations.

Over the years we've found other dogs in the area which have the energy he likes/tolerates, so we hang out with them. Unfortunately, some dogs just won't work with him, it sucks, especially when you like the owner, but that's just the way it is.

Observe your dog, learn his patterns, teach him what is acceptable, have emergency measures just in case, expose him to passive/aloof dogs, then put him in situations where he'll succeed.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts