German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is fairly normal for a GSD (/Rottie cross), but maybe Luc was just a jerk and Teagan most certainly didn't back down from a challenge.

Agis - who is around 6.5mos old - loves everyone. We recently went out somewhere with thousands of loud people and he ate it up.

Unless, they are standing somewhere he feels is aberrant, then he barks (he is told quiet, it's like if someone's just standing at a street, he finds it weird, why are they skulking there!!!!!).

He also will bark and sometimes growl at people (with dogs, but I'm certain the dog is incidental as he likes other dogs) who stop and watch/stare at him. I think they're doing it because he's a cute puppy, but I also think he sees it as a challenge...am I off here?

I think this is relatively normal behaviour for the breed, and he is always told to knock it off, but I suspect it may just be his personality.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This pretty much describes my 6-month-old pup.

He is getting good about remaining calm in most situations. Unusual things seem to set him off. Kids on kick scooters blew his mind. We had to go up to the scooter and let Ole sniff it and even step up on it before he was ready to ignore it.

Next week, It looks like it will warm up a bit. I thought we could go down to the local university and walk around. The students there will be all sorts of unusual for pup.

And yes, people who stare at him are his kryptonite. We spent this afternoon's training sessions doing relaxed down-stays in familiar places that have unfamiliar people; the lobby of our vet's office and the lobby of our local humane society. We talked and calmly did a bit of obedience work. Then I sat in a chair, in an out of the way area, where Ole could see the entire room. Then I cued him to do longer and longer down-stays by my side. After a few attempts, he would settle down enough to rest his head on paws and close his eyes.

The staff at these placed are familiar with us; they just ignore us. The only times he reacted were when someone would look directly at him or point at him. I imagine they were saying, "What a cute puppy," He would sit up quickly and take (what looks to me like) a defensive posture. The cute puppy was not so cute anymore. As soon as the person looked away, he would lie back down.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave! I think I need to be more aware for sure. And when somebody stops and stares him down step between them - they can challenge ME, thank you very much.

(I don't think they think they're challenging him, but oh well)

He's been in huge crowds and been fine. Both times he's reacted we've been stopped (once because the lady staring us down was in our way, and once because he was peeing) so I think it's going to be step between and keep him moving where possible.

·
Registered
285 Posts
why are they skulking there!!!!!
Yes, the funniest thing is when I ask some to just ignore my puppy because we are training. Some times they just freeze, hold their breath, and look off into the distance. This is a dog's definition of skulking ie getting ready to pounce on some prey they have been hunting.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's funny, every GSD I've had has had very strong opinions about what constitutes aberrant behaviour. The other dogs, not at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts